• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

fragzone

Thinking of picking this unit up to couple with a pair of Elac DBR-62.

Can someone confirm that it is possible to turn off all DSP functions? Or is the jury still out on that?

I read the thread and didn't find a definite answer on that. Not too concerned about the lack of HPF because I will also use it with some active speakers too, purely as a networked line out.

Johannes AU

Thinking of picking this unit up to couple with a pair of Elac DBR-62.

Can someone confirm that it is possible to turn off all DSP functions? Or is the jury still out on that?

I read the thread and didn't find a definite answer on that. Not too concerned about the lack of HPF because I will also use it with some active speakers too, purely as a networked line out.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/805545/web_WXA-50_Advanced_om_UCABGLV_En.pdf

You can find the answer(s) at the pdf manual, hope it helps.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using the analog input i succeeded to disable the DSP with the Ethernet configuration menu.

Cameron

Sorry if this has been covered already (I did try several searches).

I'm looking at options for WXA-50 with a poweramp, specifically to solve the issue that the line-out is fixed (no volume control).

I was wondering if the sub-out was both stereo, full-range and volume controlled - could that be used (if yes to all?)

Thanks in advance!

Johannes AU

Sorry if this has been covered already (I did try several searches).

I'm looking at options for WXA-50 with a poweramp, specifically to solve the issue that the line-out is fixed (no volume control).

I was wondering if the sub-out was both stereo, full-range and volume controlled - could that be used (if yes to all?)

Thanks in advance!

The sub-out was stereo but mixed into one RCA output, full-range and no volume control, you need an active subwoofer.

BitPerfect_

Found a workaround. You can use the advanced settings on the Musiccast app to increase (or decrease) the individual source volumes by up to 6db. Good enough for what I am trying to achieve.

Great workaround, thanks for sharing. The only question that is popping in my mind is:

- Do you guys have any idea, increasing the individual source volume in Input trim section over 0.0 dB could also introduce distortions?

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did increased the digital volume to get a correct input sensitivity from analog line in.
I noticed that the speaker hiss is noticeable when I place my head at the tweeter level.
But I do not eat the hiss from the listening position.

BitPerfect_

Hi WXA/WXC-50 users, would you please confirm Qobuz will work using MusicCast @24bit / 192kHz ? I am referring at streaming not local stored Qobuz files. Thanks,

Last edited:

SPOautos

I have a WXC-50 (preamp version). What are some current options that are better that the wxc-50 but with similar features? I like the wxc50 but it's been out for several years so I'm thinking I need to see if I should replace it.

Gyosa1

cambridge audio 851n.

I connected my WXC-50 to the Cambridge digitally via coax ( bypassing the yamaha‘s dac , in “player mode” ) …
i use the Yamaha for Sirius XM feed , and the Cambridge for everything else , primarily Tidal HIFI.

I’m using the Cambridge in pre-amp mode.

I have 2 other WXC-50’s in use as streaming preamps on other systems as well and love them.

I found a noticeable sound improvement with Tidal and SiriusXM- even given the limitations of SiriusXM. I think the dual mono configuration and dual dac‘s are superior to the yamaha’s.

the Cambridge is an excellent piece of gear , especially given its price.

bk

I have a WXC-50 (preamp version). What are some current options that are better that the wxc-50 but with similar features? I like the wxc50 but it's been out for several years so I'm thinking I need to see if I should replace it.

JW001

I bought WXA-50 a year ago. It's a great little stereo box, although it'd be better if it were a little bigger to hide speaker connectors and improve heat dissipation. There is a configuration entry in the MusicCast app to have the fan running continuously, which lowers the temperature of the case a bit. This, plus placing the box in vertical position makes the case just warm to the touch instead of hot.

I love all the options I have with this device, practically all I need in the living room: NetRadio, AirPlay for Amazon Music Unlimited and DLNA Server. I have a huge collection of ripped CDs, SACDs and DVD Audio to dsf and flac files, which I share via Serviio.

The device is paired with ELAC UB5s.

TrexWasabi

I need to connect the WXA-50 to a laptop based multimedia system which doesn't have optical out. What's the most effective way of connecting it? From what I can tell, the USB connection is used to connect storage devices only. Would this USB->SPDIF system work? Are there better ones for about the same price? I prefer to use the DAC in the WXA-50. Thanks.

Last edited:

JW001

I need to connect the WXA-50 to a laptop based multimedia system which doesn't have optical out. What's the most effective way of connecting it? From what I can tell, the USB connection is used to connect storage devices only. Would this USB->SPDIF system work? Are there better ones for about the same price? I prefer to use the DAC in the WXA-50. Thanks.

I use the free serviio software running on my laptop and sharing via DLNA a disk directory with ripped CDs, SACDs and DVDAudios, all files in FLAC and DSF format. WXA-50 controlled by MusicCast app on iPhone plays all files without problems. Here is an example screenshot when playing DSD:

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 7.00.30 PM.jpg

TrexWasabi

Thanks @JW001 - The system needs to be plug-and-play (essentially just power it on and off) as lots of people will be using the multimedia station.

SS55

There seems to be a new firmware update but sadly it couldn’t complete the install and threw up an error saying “connect to your device again”
Now all I’m getting is “Firmware is upto date” and no sign of new firmware. Should I reinstall the app? Anyone else facing the same issue?
3AD248BC-F5F3-453F-8E99-A154DD92E32A.png

Farenheit

You can check it in the update history by going into the configuration section "news". The latest version is 4.50

Top Bottom