• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

krips

Is AUX OUT different from a PRE OUT in that it is not controlled by the volume set on the WXA? Would like the option to use this as a pre in the future if possible. If not I'm undecided whether to go WXA or WXC + XLS1502 now.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is AUX OUT different from a PRE OUT in that it is not controlled by the volume set on the WXA? Would like the option to use this as a pre in the future if possible. If not I'm undecided whether to go WXA or WXC + XLS1502 now.

WXC can be used as a pre, WXA cannot (fixed output only).

KEW

Forum Donor
WXC + XLS1502
This seems like a good combo for a modest, but capable 2.1 or 2.2 system since the XLS1502 has the ability to highpass the mains and any typical sub includes the ability to lowpass the subs.

Last edited:

solver

Hey guys! Great forum! I am looking to build a beginner level system for a close to proper square room of 25 sq meters and considering wxa-50. This amp has been around for quite a while already. Is it still actual in terms of further support by newer devices?

Are there any alternatives for the budget of $500? I was also looking at Denon PMA60, but it seems to have less power. USB dac is not a strong requirement as most of the playback will come from TV (via optical), media stored on nas and streaming. Connection wise this model seems to be very good.

For the very beginning the new amp will be powering up a pair of microlab solo2 which I plan to modify to passive, to put proper sound deadening and add extra strength to boxes

Please let me know what you think

decryption

Bit of a weird question - but if I plug the WXA-50 into a TV using the optical output of my TV, will I be able to use the TV remote to adjust volume, or will I need to use the WXA-50's remote?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bit of a weird question - but if I plug the WXA-50 into a TV using the optical output of my TV, will I be able to use the TV remote to adjust volume, or will I need to use the WXA-50's remote?
That depends on your TV

decryption

Ah bugger - is there a specific feature it's called? (like HDMI CEC?) Not sure if volume info is sent over optical. Might have to end up getting a universal remote anyways.

VladimirJ

Hi
I have changed the speaker type in "Settings 2" from Bookshelf to Compact, just to try the setting out, but now I can't change it back to anything else.
I have tried several combinations of EQ, Bass extender on/off and Enhancer on/off, but the Speaker type setting always reverts to "Compact".
Can anyone help with this?
If it can't be changed anymore, does it matter if I put the WXA in the "Direct" mode?
Thanks
Vlada
Screenshot_20201220-102120_Chrome.jpg

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I have changed the speaker type in "Settings 2" from Bookshelf to Compact, just to try the setting out, but now I can't change it back to anything else.
I have tried several combinations of EQ, Bass extender on/off and Enhancer on/off, but the Speaker type setting always reverts to "Compact".
Can anyone help with this?
If it can't be changed anymore, does it matter if I put the WXA in the "Direct" mode?
Thanks
VladaView attachment 100445
Try turning EQ bypass off

koopie

Would you fine ladies and gentlemen mind helping me figure out which of the below options would be better for a 2.1 nearfield desktop PC setup primarily for listening to music?

1. MacBook > Topping D50s > JDS Labs Atom > Yamaha WXT-50 > KEF Q150 / SVS SB-2000

2. MacBook > Yamaha WXT-50 > SVS-2000 / JDS Labs Atom > KEF Q150

Thank you!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you fine ladies and gentlemen mind helping me figure out which of the below options would be better for a 2.1 nearfield desktop PC setup primarily for listening to music?

1. MacBook > Topping D50s > JDS Labs Atom > Yamaha WXT-50 > KEF Q150 / SVS SB-2000

2. MacBook > Yamaha WXT-50 > SVS-2000 / JDS Labs Atom > KEF Q150

Thank you!
The WXA-50 doesn’t really allow for good subwoofer integration

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you mind elaborating?
There is no high pass filter to prevent the sub and main speakers from overlapping in frequency

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, okay. But wouldn’t that be the case with most class D integrated amps?
Lack of crossover has nothing to do with class of amplifier. There are integrated amps with crossovers

koopie

Lack of crossover has nothing to do with class of amplifier. There are integrated amps with crossovers

I’m actually hoping to find a decent small-ish amp that I could use on my desk that has a crossover - would you by chance have any suggestions?

panther

For what it's worth to you, I have a 10 year old Samsung LCD and I have to use the Yamaha remote or app to change volume. Our Roku remote or Samsung remote do not work.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom