• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

ceut

@KEW
So, after 90min with moderate volume level, the TMP1 value stuck at 114 (it was at 106 after 30min on horizontal position...).

The FLIR photos confirm your theory: the WXA-50 is clearly made for being in vertical position.

On the external metal part, I have not reached 40°C.
As previously, we can see the 2 pink thermal pads effect on the IcePower board without opening case (upper right on the first and 2nd photo).
But no other hot area, compared to previous horizontal photos.

Inside, about 10°C less on the hottest part, and there are some parts which are cold now !
Heat is always coming from the IcePower board.
The power transformer is at 57°, the 2 big 680µF/200V Nichicon capacitor (for the switching power supply) are not as hot as in horizontal position, I can put my hand on it (power unplugged of course :D).

Attachments

• flir_20201007T001333.jpg
    flir_20201007T001333.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 233
  • flir_20201007T001343.jpg
    flir_20201007T001343.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 245
  • flir_20201007T002211.jpg
    flir_20201007T002211.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 242
  • flir_20201007T002224.jpg
    flir_20201007T002224.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 225

KEW

Forum Donor
@KEW
So, after 90min with moderate volume level, the TMP1 value stuck at 114 (it was at 106 after 30min on horizontal position...).

The FLIR photos confirm your theory: the WXA-50 is clearly made for being in vertical position.

On the external metal part, I have not reached 40°C.
As previously, we can see the 2 pink thermal pads effect on the IcePower board without opening case (upper right on the first and 2nd photo).
But no other hot area, compared to previous horizontal photos.

Inside, about 10°C less on the hottest part, and there are some parts which are cold now !
Heat is always coming from the IcePower board.
The power transformer is at 57°, the 2 big 680µF/200V Nichicon capacitor (for the switching power supply) are not as hot as in horizontal position, I can put my hand on it (power unplugged of course :D).
Thank you so much for verifying this!
I understand the theory and it made sense to me, but I have been around long enough to know that the theory doesn't always work out (most often due to some additional factor which was overlooked), so I am always a little worried when I make such a recommendation without the benefit of the type of measurements you provided!

Last edited:

panther

So I’ve enjoyed this amp for the most part. I ordered a new Martin Logan sub Dynamo 800x . Once I eq’d it the sound is great while connected to the audio Out and playing to my Computer using a DAC that goes to audio in. However when I switch to airplay the sound is absolute trash from the sub. I have to lower is to minimum volume to make it not shake the house and it sounds totally boomy. No matter what volume I set my iOS devices at or the amp volume it’s just crap, although at higher volume from the amp,or iOS device it’s slightly better, but then the volume of music is blaring. My last sub did not do this at all when I switched between aux in and streaming options.

vord

I don't know if it is based on the ESS Sabre DAC, or if they're using some other method, but it is digitally based.
Everything gets digitized. If you use the analog inputs (turntable) it digitizes everything and uses its internal DAC. There's no way to escape that.

Hello.
Is this also the case with the WXA-50 ? I mean, does the wxa-50 rca AUX IN is digitized ?
I would like to buy the wxa-50 and be able to set it up like this : Turntable > RCA > Phono preamp > RCA > WXA-50 > Speakers.
But i won't if the wxa-50 digitize analog signal.

Thanks

Willem

Major Contributor
I have no idea if it does, but what is wrong with digitization? Any conversion from analogue to digital and back will be far more transparent than your turntable.

vord

I have no idea if it does, but what is wrong with digitization? Any conversion from analogue to digital and back will be far more transparent than your turntable.

I'm not sure to understand, i mean, i would actually prefer to listen a audio signal from my turntable that hasn't been converted 2 time.

Willem

Major Contributor
The audio signal from a turntable is pretty degraded already, both because it is a highly imperfect medium, and also because the subsequent phono preamplifier adds its own distortion etc. The minute impact from a double conversion will be inaudible. If you want better sound quality you will have to go digital, such as CD or streaming.

niesfisch

hi all,

i have a question regarding the WXC-50. just bought my first headphone amp, the "topping L30". i connected it to the "AUX OUT" section and into the "RCA IN" on the little amp. currently getting my head around the specs. the yamaha spec sheet says that AUX OUT has 10 HZ - 40 KHZ ...

1.) which would mean that playing highres files via the yamaha does not really make sense as to the limitation of the AUX OUT - is that assumption correct?
2.) the only option to get highres to the headphones would be the optical/coax out? that i can't connect to the little amp
3.) buy another amp

is this limitation in general based in the RCA connection?

i know, that 40khz should be enough.... just want to understand the specs and how they relate to each other :)

some screenshots from the connections and specs
thanks in advance
marcel

wcx.png

wxc2.png

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
hi all,

i have a question regarding the WXC-50. just bought my first headphone amp, the "topping L30". i connected it to the "AUX OUT" section and into the "RCA IN" on the little amp. currently getting my head around the specs. the yamaha spec sheet says that AUX OUT has 10 HZ - 40 KHZ ...

1.) which would mean that playing highres files via the yamaha does not really make sense as to the limitation of the AUX OUT - is that assumption correct?
2.) the only option to get highres to the headphones would be the optical/coax out? that i can't connect to the little amp
3.) buy another amp

is this limitation in general based in the RCA connection?

i know, that 40khz should be enough.... just want to understand the specs and how they relate to each other :)
Yes, at least in the case of the WXA-50 measured here, the RCA inputs and outputs begin to roll off sharply above 40 KHz. This means anything above an 80 KHz sampling rate will not be fully represented. However, it is doubtful that this rolloff will be audible.

This is not a limitation of RCA, just a limitation of the filtering in the device.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi all,
the yamaha spec sheet says that AUX OUT has 10 HZ - 40 KHZ ...

You can't hear above 20KHz so there is no issue with 40KHz bandwidth.

Please watch the following:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, at least in the case of the WXA-50 measured here, the RCA inputs and outputs begin to roll off sharply above 40 KHz. This means anything above an 80 KHz sampling rate will not be fully represented. However, it is doubtful that this rolloff will be audible.
This is not a limitation of RCA, just a limitation of the filtering in the device.
fixed it for you :
"However, it is impossible that this rolloff will be audible."

niesfisch

You can't hear above 20KHz so there is no issue with 40KHz bandwidth.

i know ... that's why i mentioned in my post:

"i know, that 40khz should be enough.... just want to understand the specs and how they relate to each other"

I mean, a cat would probably be disappointed.

my cat looks grumpy ... now i know the reason :)

thanks anyway

niesfisch

another question that comes to my mind. when i connect an optical/coax cable and feed that signal into an external headphone amp, will the music still be feed to my main speakers? do the headphone amp and speakers get the signal in parallel or is it one or the other but not both? this is maybe a stupid question :) thanks again in advance

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
another question that comes to my mind. when i connect an optical/coax cable and feed that signal into an external headphone amp, will the music still be feed to my main speakers? do the headphone amp and speakers get the signal in parallel or is it one or the other but not both? this is maybe a stupid question :) thanks again in advance
It will be in parallel with your speakers playing as well unless you use the BT headphone feature of the WXA-50.

fakeplasticyoshi

Hi guys, first post here, thank you all the wonderful information provided. I have been lurking this forum for a month and this is an entirely new world for me.

I am currently setting up a desktop system and came across this wonderful looking device. looking for a simple solution for my mainly music network/airplay needs.

WXA-50 looks like a solid contender, reading into it however, it doesnt offer settings for a sub crossover. How important is this option for a 2.1 system mainly used for music? I have been offered a NAD D 7050 (349usd), and this is included in its features. WXA-50 (449) offers 55 WPC @ 8ohms vs 50 WPC @ 4ohms.

From my understanding, being able to set the crossover at 80-100Hz would allow the bookshelf speakers to do what they do best. Does anyone have a recommendation on which side to take.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys, first post here, thank you all the wonderful information provided. I have been lurking this forum for a month and this is an entirely new world for me.

I am currently setting up a desktop system and came across this wonderful looking device. looking for a simple solution for my mainly music network/airplay needs.

WXA-50 looks like a solid contender, reading into it however, it doesnt offer settings for a sub crossover. How important is this option for a 2.1 system mainly used for music? I have been offered a NAD D 7050 (349usd), and this is included in its features. WXA-50 (449) offers 55 WPC @ 8ohms vs 50 WPC @ 4ohms.

From my understanding, being able to set the crossover at 80-100Hz would allow the bookshelf speakers to do what they do best. Does anyone have a recommendation on which side to take.

Sub low pass filter is not critical because almost all subs have one built in. High pass filter (HPF) for the main speakers is critical and is a feature lacking in the WXA-50. I do not recommend the WXA-50 for use with systems incorporating a sub because of the absence of a HPF (this is also why I replaced mine).

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sub low pass filter is not critical because almost all subs have one built in. High pass filter (HPF) for the main speakers is critical and is a feature lacking in the WXA-50. I do not recommend the WXA-50 for use with systems incorporating a sub because of the absence of a HPF (this is also why I replaced mine).

Fascinating that they didn't implement HPF (or LPF for that matter) when they obviously have DSP capability in both the main channels and the sub channels.

Reactions: KEW

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fascinating that they didn't implement HPF (or LPF for that matter) when they obviously have DSP capability in both the main channels and the sub channels.
I think the DAC is only 2 channels and there is an analog LPF at 250 Hz on the sub out.

Unclevanya

Have you already read this review of the NAD? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-nad-7050-streaming-amp.6983/

Top Bottom