• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

AJM1981

quite so, that's on WXC-50. Funny enough, WXC is a WXA, but in some ways WXC is far better. Lacking power amp of course.
The wxa50 is a fine integrated digital amp & streamer. The wxc50 is a fine pre-amp & streamer. If I would like to use another main amp permanently I would have gone for the wxc, but I like the wxa as my main amp.

The fact the wxa has aux-out is a big “hidden” plus of this amp in my opinion. Functions more than well as a streamer or hub.

There are obviously downsides to using the ‘Wxa50’ instead of the wxc50 as a pre-amp. I know this above kind of contradicts, but ok.
-volume control needs to be done from the main amp and does not do anything on the wxa (so don’t crank it up with the remote and forget it is cranked up when you use it as the main amp again)
- it only passes the direct signal, no influence in EQ, enhancer etc
- a subwoofer will not be equally on par in gain

But not having a sub and for those who only want to use the controls of a master-amp, the wxa is a fine slave-hub /streamer too. :)

Last edited:

servit00

Good morning. I used always class d amplifier and last device was wiim amp. now with WXA-50 i listen a poor equalizer effect. the 3 bands are very insufficient. seems like missed a loudness button, i need help for best settings or adding an external app for solve this problem that in wiim amp or smsl devices is absolutely missing. the source is spotify or analog. i hope from you because yamaha assistance is not present for solve problems. thanks

AJM1981

Good morning. I used always class d amplifier and last device was wiim amp. now with WXA-50 i listen a poor equalizer effect. the 3 bands are very insufficient. seems like missed a loudness button, i need help for best settings or adding an external app for solve this problem that in wiim amp or smsl devices is absolutely missing. the source is spotify or analog. i hope from you because yamaha assistance is not present for solve problems. thanks
The WXA50 does not have a loudness button, but I think the auto-equalizer (I always use it on bypass) does what loudness does. In other words, it offers more presence at low volumes by bumping the low and high frequencies slightly.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bit late to the party here, but still interesting.

For what it was and in 2019 I should imagine this was pretty decent considering the cost. The heat thing seems to be a theme of older all in one streaming boxes, remember the HK Citation getting good praise but a rather high failure rate and longevity, which was a shame really.

Top Bottom