• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of XDuoo TA-01 and Schiit Fulla V2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
I think the real issue is that the different headphones sounded different on both. That's a big negative. This means that the amp is a limiting factor and can't be trusted to be transparent depending on what headphones I'm putting on.

While you're right in a sense, isn't the whole idea of a tube amp that it should sound just a little different from solid state, otherwise why bother with tubes in the first place if they sound just about the same? A slight sort of coloration (due to distortion/harmonics?) is to be expected no?

I wouldn't want the distortion to be single digit THD+N though... but I've no clue how much my Bottlehead crack (speedball upgraded) actually distorts, all I know is that I love how it sounds in combination with the HD650 :oops:

garbulky

Major Contributor
While you're right in a sense, isn't the whole idea of a tube amp that it should sound just a little different from solid state, otherwise why bother with tubes in the first place if they sound just about the same? A slight sort of coloration (due to distortion/harmonics?) is to be expected no?

I wouldn't want the distortion to be single digit THD+N though... but I've no clue how much my Bottlehead crack (speedball upgraded) actually distorts, all I know is that I love how it sounds in combination with the HD650 :oops:
Well some people don't want their tube amp to be tubey sounding - surprisingly! But <ahem> I do. No what I meant in my post was that different headphones sounded different on the same amp and the review implied that it was the amps fault - not just normal headphone variance. And for me that's showing that the amp is a limiting factor since the sound appears to vary.

Veri

Master Contributor
Well some people don't want their tube amp to be tubey sounding - surprisingly! But <ahem> I do. No what I meant in my post was that different headphones sounded different on the same amp and the review implied that it was the amps fault - not just normal headphone variance. And for me that's showing that the amp is a limiting factor since the sound appears to vary.
Oh I see. I see your point, now.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Very nice, long anticipated review!

I wonder if those weird distortion figures are what I hear when I listen to the Fulla2.... it really doesn't sound very full especially with the planars. It might be these distortion figures having some sort of issue with power output or current levels?

Veri

Master Contributor
Very nice, long anticipated review!

I wonder if those weird distortion figures are what I hear when I listen to the Fulla2.... it really doesn't sound very full especially with the planars. It might be these distortion figures having some sort of issue with power output or current levels?

With planars you are probably pushing them right into their absolute worst performance, you just need something more powerful.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Agree with that.
After looking at the thd more closely, that looks pretty bad for the Schiit. Its in audible territory. BTW how much power is the usb port capable of doing on the ap machine? Im assuming its connected to your ap via usb.

FireLion

I have tried about 5-6 tubes with the xduoo and it's flexibility is great, every tube changes the sound and the tubes are not just for show.

It's also more powerful than my DAC-X6. Honestly I love it, I have it in work and I got a TA-10 at home which is better.

jwTeK5B.jpg

Last edited:

FireLion

Doesn't that concern you? How do you know which one is most accurate, has the least distortion, least noise, etc.?

Not really different tubes have different sonic characteristics. For instance the Sylvania blackplate is a little grainy but it's warm and very deep bass in comparison to one of the Mullards which has a cleaner/lighter low end with a silky smooth mid range. It's well known the NOS tubes are generally better than any of the new production tubes.

έχω δίκιο

For instance the Sylvania blackplate is a little grainy but it's warm and very deep bass in comparison to one of the Mullards which has a cleaner/lighter low end with a silky smooth mid range
I can understand the idea of rolling tubes in guitar amps in order to achieve the kind of signal distortion that sounds best, but for audio, I want accuracy, not euphonic distortion. And that's not something that I (or anyone) can determine by ear, without measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think tubes provide high accuracy so I think it is fine to see them as a means to tailor the sound people want. Without it, it can become just a higher distortion solid state amp. :)

FireLion

I can understand the idea of rolling tubes in guitar amps in order to achieve the kind of signal distortion that sounds best, but for audio, I want accuracy, not euphonic distortion. And that's not something that I (or anyone) can determine by ear, without measurements.

It's not just distortion that is the factor, It's about unique sound characteristics . On paper and to listen to the Mullard I have is clearer than Sylvania which cost me less than a third of the price but sometimes it's nice to have good bass and a warmer texture instead of just emphasized sharp details which can be fatiguing. Not that the Mullard is fatiguing it just is has a sweet mid range with better separation I am just trying to say clearer/shaprer is not always better depending on what is needed at the time.

FireLion

The unique sound characteristics are created by the distortion though.

I do not know that much on the technicalities to comment in depth. Yes accuracy and detail are important but it can also at times be at the cost of musicality. This is dependent on the users hearing, music and tonal preference are you wanting reference, enjoyment or a bit of both?

So are tubes better than solid state, depends on the end user really. Is my old HD700 more detailed than my daily driver Argon? Yes but man it got tiring after extended use whereas I can listen to the dark bass, warm and very musical Argon all day long with no fatigue.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I don't think tubes provide high accuracy so I think it is fine to see them as a means to tailor the sound people want. Without it, it can become just a higher distortion solid state amp. :)
Many beloved recording people listen to are produced using tubes. Many of the classic microphones also use tubes. Tubes are not just distortion producers. The distortion is below the threshold of hearing. The spectrum of distortion and overload characteristics are different.

FireLion

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
With a single tube in the path, I wonder where's the crosstalk measurement?

Top Bottom