• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Wireworld Starlight 7 USB Cable

Frost

USB standard suppose has 4 wires: D+/D- in twisted pair, 5v and ground. The reviewed cable seems has 5 wires, I suspect the extra wire is 5v power wire, but I dont see why it has the shield layer as shown. Anyone know?

probably connected to ground for shielding. The standard usb 2.0 cable should look like this inside with foil connected to the housing which should also be connected to ground, which is suppose to reduce interference.
usb_cable-construction.jpg

So maybe the extra shielding around the 5v wire is reducing interference from the 5v usb line?

Also, hope that the diagram symetricon design is off by a bit for demonstration purposes and the data cable are twisted together

edit: Found this image for comparison between the wireworld Dna Helix and Symetricon... Really doesn't inspire confidence that the data cables in the symetricon design are twisted together

dna_sys_usb_800px.jpg

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
edit: Found this image for comparison between the wireworld Dna Helix and Symetricon... Really doesn't inspire confidence that the data cables in the symetricon design are twisted together

This Starlight one uses symmetricon though, so I guess it's fine in the end?

Frost

I always wonder that many people insult(?) stock cables...
they believe even some magic cables for digital information.

Veri

Master Contributor
This is Bad very bad..
What about power cables and conditioners now?

Same thing. At best:

So technically we paid more, and we got more. Now before subjectivists start to celebrate, as I clearly noted, none of those mains components are remotely audible (or you would hear them with generic cables and we don't). And at any rate, no improvements were made whatsoever in actual distortion products. In the case of D50, we actually made things worse a bit.

Of course, people will say it brings more "body" and "blacker background" :D people recommend each other bad snake oil purchase mistakes all the time to feel better about their purchases....

Amir has a Pangea power cord I think, which he was gonna look at at some point to see if it has any effect at all. Looking forward

Final

An inspiring review. Didn’t think this could make any difference. Went into my cable storage and pulled out my Gemini USB cable and installed it into my system.
Never used it before. :).

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
An inspiring review. Didn’t think this could make any difference. Went into my cable storage and pulled out my Gemini USB cable and installed it into my system.

Well, the conclusion was there is no audible difference. Lowering mains that you cannot hear is not a worthwile investment.

Final

Well, the conclusion was there is no audible difference. Lowering mains that you cannot hear is not a worthwile investment.
Feels good to remove noise of any kind. Shall i claim blacker background, better definition, more colours? Well we’ll just have to wait and see won’t we;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you test the Topping D10, cause of no external power supply?
I have to ship everything back but I will see if I can do this before sending it back.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm how do you connect your AP to the PC? If it is the USB you could try this cable also for the AP itself.
It is way too short unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 4360

The results may be due to the fact that the Amazon cable might be overall poor quality thereby making the Wireworld cable look great. It would be interesting to see a comparison between a decent middle priced cable ($20-$40 range) and this cable. It comes back to your mantra - good engineering. It doesn't make sense other than engineering - it's digital!!!

Top Bottom