• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Wireworld Starlight 7 USB Cable

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think part of the problem is that you listen to music, measurements are only a part that makes up the experience. For example, go to a Corvette car forum and folks will discuss how the cars handle and feel, the acceleration and cornering. There may be some discussion about HP, but most folks aren't delving into torque and HP over RPM curves, cam specifications, transmission gear ratios, etc. Why? Because while all the measurements are an integral part of the vehicle it's the experience (visual, tactile, etc.) that ultimately matters.
Well, but they will still be discussing measurements of the PERFORMANCE surely? 0-60, 1/4 mile, braking.

Cables and all are literally religion: in the absence of any PROOF (i.e. there are no audible differences ever* measured that I'm aware of), they depend on belief. And if you challenge those beliefs, the believers get very upset.
- In audio though, what happens is you get new people legitimately asking if cables etc make a difference. And it seems a shame to let them spend a bunch of money uselessly, especially in the doubtless many cases where the money would be better spent on other upgrades. Hence my standard advice "reasonable return policy!!!!"

*Yes I did twice hear speaker cables make a difference. One time was unequal lengths of cheap AWG 24 as a temporary thing-easily explained by the skinny wire. The other had extreme 1 ohm speakers and MIT cables with passive networks. I think any rational person would agree those are not neutral cable designs, hence no surprise if they made a difference. Another test showed Supra Ply speaker cable to have less ringing, which was quite interesting. There I have to hedge "ever" to say the audibility of that ringing was not addressed and still unknown AFAIK. And surely there have been over time many cases-like this thread-where the cable caused changes in grounding and/or noise induction. But then those situations are peculiar to each particular setup, generalization useless, and we're back to "reasonable return policy!!!!"

Top Bottom