• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

fera

Hi everyone!

Based on your measurements I've bought the Behringer UMC204HD, for both listening and hobby-studioing.

But now I got an itching looking at the Khadas Toneboard.

So my question is, should I buy this, is this better than the UMC204HD audibly, or what do you suggest? :)

Veri

Master Contributor
So my question is, should I buy this, is this better than the UMC204HD audibly, or what do you suggest? :)
It's a great DAC. Note that it doesn't come with a case, so you'll have to find some solution for that ;) ..

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Unless you're interested in the DIY-friendly nature of the Tone Board you'll get better value for money now with something like the Topping E30 or D10S. As to whether it's audible, possibly. This thread might help you judge. You can try DISTORT to get a better idea of what you can and can't hear too, although the UMC204HD will be a limiting factor.

Poultrygeist

I have the $11 Tone Board case that's sold on Amazon. It goes well with the clear case of my Volt+D.

images.jpeg

fera

Unless you're interested in the DIY-friendly nature of the Tone Board you'll get better value for money now with something like the Topping E30 or D10S. As to whether it's audible, possibly. This thread might help you judge. You can try DISTORT to get a better idea of what you can and can't hear too, although the UMC204HD will be a limiting factor.

I don't mind DIY, while it would be in my Media Player enclosure I'm building right now, so in contrary, I appreciate DIY and that it does not have a case.

What I am interested in that does it perform better than the Behringer UMC204HD :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't mind DIY, while it would be in my Media Player enclosure I'm building right now, so in contrary, I appreciate DIY and that it does not have a case.
Cool - seems like a decent choice then. The schematic is well worth downloading and studying to see the extra input options the header block provides.
What I am interested in that does it perform better than the Behringer UMC204HD :)
In isolation it measures better, although the measurements on the Behringer are much more limited. I can't tell you whether or not you'll genuinely be able to hear the difference though. The Behringer isn't far from the 'lenient' threshold described in the thread I linked, while the Tone Board is well past it and heading towards the 'strict' threshold, and the D10S and E30 push it a little further. Being able to reliably ABX the Behringer from the others is plausible but not certain, and may depend on the rest of the equipment. Being able to reliably ABX the Tone Board from the D10S or E30 seems unlikely to me. The psychological / placebo effect is another matter entirely - see the discussions about supposed differences between opamps, cables, network switches etc.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I tried connect both USB from laptop and coaxial from node2i today. It won't switch from USB mode to coaxial. Unplug from laptop and power via USB charging brick, then it would work with coaxial in. Is this expected behavior? Thx!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, it does that.
I guess my laptop is still giving out USB signals somehow even nothing is played? Once I manually switched sound output in my laptop from KTB to onboard audio, KTB would play from coaxial.

fera

I guess my laptop is still giving out USB signals somehow even nothing is played? Once I manually switched sound output in my laptop from KTB to onboard audio, KTB would play from coaxial.

Can someone give a feedback on this behavior?
I intend to use it powered through a powered usb hub connected to Kodi playing media box (X96 Air P2), and also to my TV through SPDIF.
As I first read I would think if no audio is playing from Kodi it would switch to SPDIF? Or is it not that simple, and I have to change output setting each time on Kodi to "release" if from USB? Could please someone try this out? :) I would really appreciate it!

Aldoszx

Can someone give a feedback on this behavior?
I intend to use it powered through a powered usb hub connected to Kodi playing media box (X96 Air P2), and also to my TV through SPDIF.
As I first read I would think if no audio is playing from Kodi it would switch to SPDIF? Or is it not that simple, and I have to change output setting each time on Kodi to "release" if from USB? Could please someone try this out? :) I would really appreciate it!

I am usig it with RPi. It seems the problems are when using windows. I cannot try right now with my windows laptop.

fera

I am usig it with RPi. It seems the problems are when using windows. I cannot try right now with my windows laptop.

But with Rpi (I guess you're using OSMC or Volumio), if you just stop what you are currently playing it switches to SPDIF?

Aldoszx

But with Rpi (I guess you're using OSMC or Volumio), if you just stop what you are currently playing it switches to SPDIF?
I am using with Ropieee. Yes, when Roon does not play, it switches to SPDIF.

Aldoszx

Last edited:

Aldoszx

Tone Board received today a new firmware which change the PID&VID to a custom one.
Also, there is a custom Thesycon, non evaluation driver for it.
Be aware, the new driver works only after the firmware update !
Details here.
Direct link to the firmware, driver and DFU tool, here.

Top Bottom