• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Windofrce

Printing, polishing, painting in matte black ...

Now I have 3D-printed case matching the dimensions of JDS Labs Atom Amplifier. Can't handle the sound and all that details coming from my Beyers. :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 22.13.16 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 22.13.16 (1).jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 290
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-24 at 22.52.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-24 at 22.52.09.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 297
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 22.13.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 22.13.16.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 279

Magnifico

Where can I find the newest Driver for the board ?

aaaand.....is there any chance to remove the Ess-Hump ?

Last edited:

Haze

Is there actually any need to install the XMOS Driver in Windows 10? All it gets you is DSD Native right? I'm assuming there is no difference in audio quality?

Windofrce

Is there actually any need to install the XMOS Driver in Windows 10? All it gets you is DSD Native right? I'm assuming there is no difference in audio quality?
What do you guys have in Device Manager if you do not have the driver installed?

For me the device is not recognised properly under Windows 10 if I don't install XMOS driver

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    2 KB · Views: 114

Haze

What do you guys have in Device Manager if you do not have the driver installed?

For me the device is not recognised properly under Windows 10 if I don't install XMOS driver

As I understand it the unrecognized device is only used for firmware updates and can be safely ignored.

Windofrce

As I understand it the unrecognized device is only used for firmware updates and can be safely ignored.
You want to say it is okay to keep it like this?
Also if I keep it like this, there is big sound difference. Using XMOS driver sound is much better.

Magnifico

I don´t know what you guys are talking about....you do install the latest Nvidia graphics drivers with a weight of 575Mb and discuss so much about a driver that enables high functions of the device and is about 8Mbs ???

Really?
Finally I like having my device recognized correct.
Do you really have to....todays no....back then....there was no way without it.

To be honest....I doubt it, it does make a difference in Audio quality...maybe the higher end the files are the more there is a slight chance it may make a difference.
But then again....of course it will sound as good as possible with the desired driver.
All those things to think about instead of just installing that little driver...I don´t get it.

sinski

Best power supply for the Tone Board ?
It is possible to connect the external ps to pins 1/21. What kind of power supply will be the best ? Linear with some good regulator like this one
https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/tps7a4700-spsu.htm ?
Or they are some better choices ? Tone board has some regulation on board, so maybe something simpler with 7805 or lm317 could be enough ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There are multiple onboard regulators, including a switching one that makes the +/- rails for the DAC analog parts and the output opamps, plus local decoupling near the chips (at least on the schematic). A linear supply like that is wasted in this application, assuming that implementation lives up to the chip spec. A 7805 or 317 should be fine, as should a reasonable 5V switcher. An LC filter would clean up any HF content before you feed it to the pins, but probably isn't necessary.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Can't really tell from the listing whether they're any good or not. Meanwell supplies don't cost much more and have a reasonable reputation. How exactly are you using the TB?

Windofrce

Best power supply for the Tone Board ?
It is possible to connect the external ps to pins 1/21. What kind of power supply will be the best ? Linear with some good regulator like this one
https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/tps7a4700-spsu.htm ?
Or they are some better choices ? Tone board has some regulation on board, so maybe something simpler with 7805 or lm317 could be enough ?
Why do you need external power supply?

Sui77

I'm not ownling a TB yet.
I want to use it for streaming via BT, but I'm still looking for a way to adopt bluetooth to it.
Not sure if such a card will be able to feed the TB -> https://bit.ly/32wYhYR

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Because i want a better sound quality.
Unless you know you've got an outrageously noisy, badly regulated and/or under-voltage USB supply it's unlikely to change performance. The measurements in this thread come from a TB connected to an ordinary PC USB port. Khadas do note that a heavily loaded Raspberry Pi may have poor enough regulation to be a problem, but IIRC don't mention which model or how much load. In their forum post (I don't have the link to hand) they do mention removing a component from the board to make sure the noisy USB power isn't used. If you check the schematic you'll see that there are diodes to stop one supply back-feeding the other, but no switching between the power pins on the header and the USB socket.

UPDATE: khadas forum thread - my memory was slightly faulty - they say that even with the large ripple on the Pi power line the onboard regulation is sufficient for the TB. They then go into detail for anyone who still wants to bypass the USB power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom