• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
Do I need to update firmware or something after getting Khadas Tone Board?
No, everything is plug and play out of the box. If you are at Windows 7 you might need a driver, though.

Guetta

The latest firmware is the one containing hardware volume control. Nothing more happened thereafter.
I see that there was much more firmware updates and fixes like max default volume output. But that is back from 2018.
I'm not sure if it's all preinstalled now in 2020.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I see that there was much more firmware updates and fixes like max default volume output. But that is back from 2018.
I'm not sure if it's all preinstalled now in 2020.
It ought to be preinstalled, but if it isn't it's not that hard to upgrade.

Gouwa

Audio Company
Hi Tone Board users:
Thanks for choosing the Khadas products!

I know many users have been waiting for such a long time! We still cannot provide the timeline of the launch of Tone2 at this time, but I try to share some pictures that I had weeks ago here first to show what Khadas team has been working hard to deliver every single good product to our users:
1581935519931.png

It took few months for us to design and mould development:
1581935769856.png

And below pictures tell the reason why we have to designe a new RCA connector:
1581935667039.png

1581935815407.png

And you might interest in the further information here.

Good day!

Zek

Major Contributor
Any idea what’s on the new board?
tb2.jpg
What for is the hole in the RCA?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@Gouwa Thanks for the update. I had got out of the habit of checking the khadas forum due to lack of news. Unfortunately for me, it looks like the changes won't be the ones I was hoping for (balanced outs, xmos firmware source for easier use of the pins on the FPCs).

Reactions: g29

Gouwa

Audio Company
@Gouwa Thanks for the update. I had got out of the habit of checking the khadas forum due to lack of news. Unfortunately for me, it looks like the changes won't be the ones I was hoping for (balanced outs, xmos firmware source for easier use of the pins on the FPCs).
Tone2 with balanced support, with the way you may never imaged :)

Again, I cannot post further details at this time.

Thanks for understand!

Good day!

Irrenarzt

Hi @Gouwa will the new board be the same dimensions and hole pattern as the current model? I have machined a nice case for mine, so changes in dimensions will hose me over if I choose to upgrade. Also, have you figured out the ESS hump issue?

Looks like I would have to make room for the ports coming in on the right, but I can manage to cut new holes for those as needed.

Cheers!

Last edited:

porotikos

hi guys, i will update the khadas toneboard to my hifi system, so i will now use the toneboard, to connect it to my media player. i currently have a raspberry pi 3 which is running osmc and obviously i watch movies with kodi. i was thinking to plug the khadas in it so that i can then connect khadas to my amplifier so that i can listen to the movies through my speakers. i knwo this can be done or at least it should.
But now i am thinking to move away from raspberry and i am thinking of buying a tanix tx 6 media player
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009520485352.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail
will khadas tone board be plug and play with this? any ideas? it is running android 9. if this is going to work, ill use android so that i can also watch movies with stremio.
if not ill stick with rpi. your experience is invaluable. thank you

Gouwa

Audio Company
will the new board be the same dimensions and hole pattern as the current model?
Yes, the board dimension and the holes are compatible, but be note that the new Tone with different RCA connnector and one more USB-C port for external Linear Power Supply, and the original USB-C position also moved a few.

Also, have yo figured out the ESS hump issue?
Sure thing.

Last edited:

porotikos

For more alternative, I will recommend you the Khadas VIM3L that with Volumio support:
nice suggestion but it is over my budget plus i have generic version of khadas and dont want to solderanything...
my question remains. will tone board work when it is plugged in an android tv box like tanix? is it plug and play? thank you

Gouwa

Audio Company
Yes, should works but still depond on if the android on this enable the USB audio feature(usually, most vendors will enable that.)

Have fun!

Top Bottom