• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

milw50717

Check aliexpress, they've got tons of sellers selling this exact knob. The cheapest one I've found a week ago was https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008675021.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7c363c00nPTrHY&mp=1 but price might have changed.

Are you sure that they are identical ?

30mm seems very wide and approx 10mm wider than the original knob, but then they do state the potential for 0-1cm error in measurement.

HTB14TukSxTpK1RjSZFMq6zG_VXa9.jpg

Reyer

You may be right about their size... I didn't notice that the amazon one was the smaller in size. Similar but different. However if you search for them on aliexpress I can pretty much guarantee that you'll find the same exact ones.

Anorgan

20190907_013557.jpg

Didn't think it would be able to drive my diy F5 amp, but it's loud already at 50% through Volumio. Would you still recommend a preamp?
(and if there is a better place to ask this, I'll move this question there)

Cidious

Anyone else having trouble with the Khadas Tone Board after Windows update 1903? I tried windows drivers and the Theyscon (very old V2 ones) but no luck.

DPC Latency checker gives me red spikes. But also without the spikes when start playing audio everytime it will pop first before playing. Settings the sample rate to 384K smoothens this out. But TBH I never had these issues before and I had to go back to my DX3 Pro (running with the latest Theyscon V4.67 drivers picked from their D50s that install and work flawlessly.

https://www.techpowerup.com/258611/...io-stutter-bug-microsoft-hasnt-managed-to-fix

This is the bug I'm talking about. It seems different per device.

Anyone else?

Reyer

Anyone else having trouble with the Khadas Tone Board after Windows update 1903? I tried windows drivers and the Theyscon (very old V2 ones) but no luck.

DPC Latency checker gives me red spikes. But also without the spikes when start playing audio everytime it will pop first before playing. Settings the sample rate to 384K smoothens this out. But TBH I never had these issues before and I had to go back to my DX3 Pro (running with the latest Theyscon V4.67 drivers picked from their D50s that install and work flawlessly.

https://www.techpowerup.com/258611/...io-stutter-bug-microsoft-hasnt-managed-to-fix

Anyone else?

Hmm... thanks for info. I actually thought that it was my old DDR3 RAM that was just dying on me causing all of the stuttering...

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Anyone else?

And Microsoft wants to kill Windoze7 ???

Cidious

Not the RAM, I went through practically every trick on the internet to get rid of it. It doesn't matter all stutters... The driver needs to be update for Windows 1903 and up. I emailed Theyscon with the info but not sure what will happen maybe we should contact Khadas also. As of now it's a shitshow. My Khadas is unusable on Windows. I'm back at the DX3 Pro for desktop use. Which is not a punishment but it's missing that bass oompf and clarity for gaming. It's more suitable for music.

Hope they can get it sorted soon.

My DX3 Pro works flawless with SPDIF and USB it seems.

g29

Not the RAM, I went through practically every trick on the internet to get rid of it. It doesn't matter all stutters... The driver needs to be update for Windows 1903 and up. I emailed Theyscon with the info but not sure what will happen maybe we should contact Khadas also. As of now it's a shitshow. My Khadas is unusable on Windows. I'm back at the DX3 Pro for desktop use. Which is not a punishment but it's missing that bass oompf and clarity for gaming. It's more suitable for music.

Hope they can get it sorted soon.

My DX3 Pro works flawless with SPDIF and USB it seems.

You might want to post your Windows 10 drivers issues on the Khadas forums. Maybe someone has a workaround (or you may have to rollback the 1903 patch).

Khadas Tech Support Forum
Khadas Tone Board Forum

Cidious

You might want to post your Windows 10 drivers issues on the Khadas forums. Maybe someone has a workaround (or you may have to rollback the 1903 patch).

Khadas Tech Support Forum
Khadas Tone Board Forum

I did post there already but thanks for the tip and rolling back from 1903 is not really an option since I'm running a new Ryzen 3000 cpu which is reliant on the updates for the scheduler in 1903 for it to perform optimal.

I'm on 1909 Insider preview to see if that changed anything but it didn't.

I've fiddled around between all my DACs and currently only the Khadas seems affected just like some discrete soundcards. I still have to hook it up to another machine with an older version of windows these days to make sure it's not the Khadas that went faulty (which I find hard to believe but better check it out to be sure.)

Cidious

Yes that's the driver. My DX3 Pro uses the EXACT same driver by default and it works without pops and crackles.

I think the Khadas needs a firmware update to be compatible with Windows 1903 and up again.

Silou

I have no problems with the KTB (2.24.0) and Windows 10 1903. I have got an older driver version though (10.0.18362.1)

dsissitka

Given that other devices are affected and that not all installations of 1903 are affected I feel like the issue is probably on Microsoft's side. For what it's worth I appear to be running firmware version 4.11.0 and hardware version 1.04.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Given that other devices are affected and that not all installations of 1903 are affected I feel like the issue is probably on Microsoft's side. For what it's worth I appear to be running firmware version 4.11.0 and hardware version 1.04...

Hi @dsissitka,

Now hope its alright correct your post a bit in below :)

What you see as "Revision" in "Device Info" sector is the firmware info, and it says "v1.04" which is the latest official Khadas version so you up to date there : )

What you see as "Version" in "Driver Info" sector is the Windows operating system driver version from Thesycon Systemsoftware, and if that package was downloaded from Khadas site its a evaluation package that is only meant for use to update firmware and should be uninstalled as soon one have updated the firmware. On Windows 10 for Khadas Toneboard one can either use operating systems native UAC2 driver which support MS DS and WASAPI or use officiel v2.24 driver made by Thesycon Systemsoftware which will support MS DS and WASAPI and also ASIO.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Yes that's the driver. My DX3 Pro uses the EXACT same driver by default and it works without pops and crackles.

I think the Khadas needs a firmware update to be compatible with Windows 1903 and up again.

You could check if your firmware is the latest official version in go to device manager and find KTB device and after a double click go to "Details" tab and pick "Proberties" and schroll down to "Hardware-IDs" where it should tell a string saying "USB\VID_20B1&PID_00DA&REV_0104".

The last four numbers in above string is the code for latest firmware v1.04, if its tells something as "0102" or "06?2" firmware is not the latest one and needs a manual update procedure to get up to date of v1.04.

g29

Here is the S/PDIF input performance. You activate it by just hooking up a USB power supply to USB port. I used the little switcher Wesion sent me.

View attachment 16368

With USB input, Channel 2 had some spikes around 10 kHz which are now gone, resulting in nearly 2 dB improvement.

@amirm ,

How did you get the S/PDIF input working? Does it require a special PS ?

I have read it automatically switches inputs when the USB input isn't playing/passing data. I have tried this method (USB plugged in to PC with no player active) and also using a USB charger wall wart (no data lines) to power it.

I have not been able to get the S/PDIF input working with either method.

TIA

Update: Found a post stating it needs a PS 500mA or greater. Mine are 1A and 2A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom