• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The picture does not show the new model. Just a case for the current Khadas Tone Board.
Sure? I did not find the case on their site...
As far as I understand, "balanced" means here how the signal is processed internally in the analog realm - but
I might be wrong here or balanced output can be taken from one of the pin headers..
Would make more sense as 95% of all home users are using single ended RCA.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sure? I did not find the case on their site...
As far as I understand, "balanced" means here how the signal is processed internally in the analog realm - but
I might be wrong here or balanced output can be taken from one of the pin headers..
Would make more sense as 95% of all home users are using single ended RCA.
The case first appeared in the hardware volume thread with the comment "It's Draft". I took it as one for the current model board, including a rotary encoder for volume so people wouldn't need to DIY one as discussed earlier in that thread, and a later post confirmed it would work with the existing Tone Board. So far as I know the 'specification' @LostOne__ provides is a combination of the changes Khadas staff have mentioned individually in different threads, not some announced specification. A single picture and the text "It’s on the way, but might need some more time ;-) I cannot post any other details at the moment." has triggered a load of speculation.

Herbert

Got it. I hope that the size/ footprint does not change much as I am designing an enlosure for a DIY CD-Player.
It took a lot of time to fit the Tone board into the design Again Kudos thatKhadas even provides CAD data !
My work would almost have been impossible without this!
A volume knob seems logical - as the hump should be more audible at (digitally) lower volumes, correct?

Roen

Finally got around to switching from the Khadas DIY frame to the Audiophonics case. It feels more solid now.

2vkd99z.jpg

Labjr

Major Contributor
It’s balanced????

Judging by the photo and what I've read, the balanced version will only have an add-on to create a balanced output signal. I don't believe it will be a total redesign with dual mono DACs running balanced from the DAC chips.

Roen

Judging by the photo and what I've read, the balanced version will only have an add-on to create a balanced output signal. I don't believe it will be a total redesign with dual mono DACs running balanced from the DAC chips.
That sounds like a cop-out. Not interested if it's just a manipulated signal.

Labjr

Major Contributor
That sounds like a cop-out. Not interested if it's just a manipulated signal.

They may even add an extra stage (opamp) to balance the single ended output. Balanced SDAC is probably the same.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
XMOS chips work with default Win10 drivers perfectly; you only need manufacturer drivers for ASIO.

trotos

Thank you for this excellent find.
Which PSU are you using to power up the WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC?

Labjr

Major Contributor
Will the next generation balanced version support DSD512 ??

x86x64

Hi !
The ESS hump is audible or not ?
Wait for new khadas version or buy Topping D30 ?
I have got JDS Labs Atom amp. I want to buy DAC in 100$ price range.

Top Bottom