• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Nango

Major Contributor
Hello, sorry for the un-effection pricing control and we have double checked the http://eccgeek.com/ but unfortunately can't open in China.

Thank you for one of our distributor in France http://audiophonics.fr informed us immediately or I may miss this. We try to use the VPN to open the link, still not work in China side. After the double confirm from Audiophonices, he told me the webside can be open in France. So we found another way and remote the computer in Singapore's home of our colleague, check the contact details and about info of the company, found nothing execpt the contact mails. Then we download all the main links of the website and make an analyse. We found out.
http://eccgeek.com/ may be power by http://geekbuying.com/, who is the first E-business man we cooperate to sell Khadas Tone Board.

But we have stoped to apply the next order to Geekbuying since on June, 2018. But from July 2018 to now, Tone board has at least 3 times of software upgrading. It means the stocks of Tone board of ECCgeek is of old software. If users can be upgrade by himself, it is ok. But if not, there is risk. And now we are trying to contact with the Team Leader of Geekbuying to return us the stocks or we buy from them to ensure the users are having the newest firmware without any other unhappy using experience.

Thank you all the favors to Khadas Tone Board, we will do our best to maintain our Khadas Brand. Just something a little different. Nice Day.
Build a case for pls, but a better one than that from Audiophonics with wrong labelling!!

democles

Why are you using the hub ?

Why not plug the DAC into the USB port on the computer with a single cable ?

In my tests how to feed the dac, a linear supply is best,more space,bigger sound stage,les harsh on the highs,more reverb on sound.
After testing BIG MKP condensators after regulator, I switched to smaler film caps and they do the same trick.
I have to listen more, but the results are promising,
No measurements only hearing,

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 414
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 432
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 410
Last edited:

countbasey

I was trying to imaging how this would work given the single USB input for power and audio. I have a LPS with +and- but not sure how to get that into the usb cable while also getting in my signal. custom USB cable with data going to standard usb and power coming from a +- cable?

milw50717

I'm guessing that this is what is being done here, as one blue USB cable is coming from the PSU and the other from the Pi

gubbins.jpg

Last edited:

mahirzukic2

In my tests how to feed the dac, a linear supply is best,more space,bigger sound stage,les harsh on the highs,more reverb on sound.
After testing BIG MKP condensators after regulator, I switched to smaler film caps and they do the same trick.
I have to listen more, but the results are promising,
No measurements only hearing,
What the hell is all that on the table? I see the LPS, the Khadas, and what seems like a Raspberry Pi. What's the rest of the gear?

willow

When we have a new version of audio board, we would love to ship to Amirm for testing, it will be our great honor. Thanks to the review of Khadas Tone Board on Audiosciencereview.com, people began to know it and have to accpet it as a single board without casing. That is really appreciated. As in the past 3 months we dont have any good selling score until the review comes out. @amirm Appreciated.

milw50717

What the hell is all that on the table? I see the LPS, the Khadas, and what seems like a Raspberry Pi. What's the rest of the gear?

At first glance it looks to be separate power supplies for the pi and the KTB, with each power supply consisting of a transformer and a voltage regulation circuit. Hopefully, democles can correct me as needed.

test.jpg

Last edited:

countbasey

milw50717, If I wanted to hack together a LPS input for the KTB, can you document which pins in the USB female to hook the + and - too as well as the audio portion so we can emulate your adapter?

Last edited:

milw50717

Not my adapter, but the specifications for USB are easy to find - googling 'usb pins' and 'usb type c pins' should give you lots of hits.

You can cut your own USB cables up and there are items such as breakout boards that may make things easier. It may be best to feed everything into a board such as the below and then use it to feed the KTB with power and data via their supplied cable

12700-01.jpg

Oh, if you are cutting up your own cables, make sure that you check the wires vs the USB connector pins using a DMM. There is a colour code for the wiring - see the wikipedia page for example - but it is always best to check in case the manufacturer didn't use or follow them.

Last edited:

democles

At first glance it looks to be separate power supplies for the pi and the KTB, with each power supply consisting of a transformer and a voltage regulation circuit. Hopefully, democles can correct me as needed.

View attachment 25376
Correct, except for the RPI is a Odroid C1+
The Odroid has better USB,not as the RPI were USB is shared with LAN port.

democles

Do not forget to wire all power GND together!
But watch out,I am still testing and it is to early to give a final comment,the last power supply is only 2 days old.
I can hear the effect is promising .

Attachments

• usb power.png
    usb power.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 276

democles

I was trying to imaging how this would work given the single USB input for power and audio. I have a LPS with +and- but not sure how to get that into the usb cable while also getting in my signal. custom USB cable with data going to standard usb and power coming from a +- cable?

My LPS is DIY and has a lot of fim capasitors after the regulator,i do not think a regular LPS would give the same effect.
I first tested with standard LT1084 power supply,and it sounded smaller .
But you can always try.:)

blueaudio

Hello, I have pushed the accounter to accept your dispute. And sorry for the late delivery as the raw material of Khadas Tone board, such as RCA Connectors, Sitime crystal and Coilcraft is taking about 2-3 months delivery time. The supply can't catch the hot selling. But we will try to ship out before May. Thank you!

Thanks for your help, but I did not try to get the board from you directly but from eccgeek, therefore I doubt that your accountant can help me. I wish you a lot of luck with the new board. I am looking forward to knowing more details about it.

kyosurai

Just plainly curious, is this good to pair up with JDS Atom? or should I just spend 200 on a dac/amp combo instead?
Will be pairing it with a HD700

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just plainly curious, is this good to pair up with JDS Atom? or should I just spend 200 on a dac/amp combo instead?
Will be pairing it with a HD700
I recommend getting topping d30 paring with atom.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy to report that I swapped the stock USB cable for an Amazon Basics cable and the connection problem cleared up. Thanks for the input! Will update again if it comes back.
Is there ferrite on the new cable?

Top Bottom