• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

WoodyLuvr

Note: After upgrading using the “EVAL drivers”, uninstall them and use your Windows 10 native USB-DAC driver, else you will hear a loud tone after sometime.

Would someone please kindly enlighten me on the correct steps to perform this, thank you.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Note: After upgrading using the “EVAL drivers”, uninstall them and use your Windows 10 native USB-DAC driver, else you will hear a loud tone after sometime.

Would someone please kindly enlighten me on the correct steps to perform this, thank you.

User need to download two things to be able to flash firmware, one is the "EVAL driver package v4.11" and the other is firmware "v1.04", now understand "EVAL driver package v4.11" is not a official driver working over time so it needs to be uninstalled after it is confirmed that firmware was flashed suscessfully, we only need to use this "EVAL driver package v4.11" because it has feature to flash firmware in form of a shortcut in program group named "TUSBAudio Firmware Upgrade". In relation to below general note then if one has official driver package v2.24 installed then to prevent a conflict uninstall that driver before installing "EVAL driver package v4.11" and when firmware is flashed suscessfully and "EVAL driver package v4.11" is uninstalled then reinstall v2.24 driver.

This is link to how to upgrade firmware with "EVAL driver package v4.11": https://docs.khadas.com/toneboard/HowtoUpgradeFirmware.html
This is link to download "EVAL driver package v4.11": https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/Driver/
This is link to download firmware file: https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/

General note:
In Windows 7 up to 10 there is one offical working driver package v2.24 that also include ASIO, users on Win10 can ignore using that package because Win10 have native support for UAC 2 but note one will then miss ASIO support.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be careful with controlling volume on a PC. If by mistake you click 100 % you could well blow your speakers.
No joke, I injured my ears like that last weekend with IEM.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone I know from another forum killed his pair of great DIY speakers like that also.
It is almost certain it would happen to you one day.

milw50717

Here's the link to the post about the above box. There are a couple of shots of 3D printed prototypes

5cb96b41c4a6c5bcd9802e98a48376278851e505.jpeg

7958248e4597e4f1dea7c11ba8636172a0b95de6.jpeg

escalibur

Front panel is around the wrong way on the Khadas - hole should be bottom left to display the power light (unless you don't want to display it) ;)
I was wondering about the hole. :) Though I'm not sure do I want any extra LEDs or not. :p

Megatronic

Hello. Is VIM edition can be used as standalone dac like generic edition or not? And audiophonics case compatible with both versions or only with generic?

blueaudio

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. I might purchase one too. Thanks.

My experience with them is not positive. I ordered the board more than one month and a half ago. According to the shipping tracking information, the board just vanished when it hit the US. I understad that they are not responsible for this but they do not reply to my messages. I have opened a dispute in paypal. Let's see how it goes.

mahirzukic2

My experience with them is not positive. I ordered the board more than one month and a half ago. According to the shipping tracking information, the board just vanished when it hit the US. I understad that they are not responsible for this but they do not reply to my messages. I have opened a dispute in paypal. Let's see how it goes.
You will probably get your money.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

I had a similar experience with the mail system. The item went missing in the system for almost 40 days before it miraculously reappeared on the tracking system and subsequently delivered to my doorstep 3 days later.

willow

Hello, I have pushed the accounter to accept your dispute. And sorry for the late delivery as the raw material of Khadas Tone board, such as RCA Connectors, Sitime crystal and Coilcraft is taking about 2-3 months delivery time. The supply can't catch the hot selling. But we will try to ship out before May. Thank you!

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Hello, I have pushed the accounter to accept your dispute. And sorry for the late delivery as the raw material of Khadas Tone board, such as RCA Connectors, Sitime crystal and Coilcraft is taking about 2-3 months delivery time. The supply can't catch the hot selling. But we will try to ship out before May. Thank you!
Nice to hear that the KTB is selling well, it's a great DAC!

JASM

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the board surfaces again and gets delivered.

Roen

I have the biggest waste of money in my chain:

Khadas Tone Board -> USB-C to USB-A stubby adapter -> Kensington UH7000C hub -> Corning Optical USB Cable -> USB 3.0 motherboard port.

Expensive USB cables check
Expensive hub check
Cheap minimum length port adapter check

Am I doing it right?

milw50717

Why are you using the hub ?

Why not plug the DAC into the USB port on the computer with a single cable ?

Top Bottom