• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Exalanoto

Does anyone know of a good enclosure for this board? I just modded a Hammond box, but i would like something that looks better.

D

Deleted member 6802

Hallo, my Khadas Tone Board has finally arrived and i started to compare it with my Arcam irDAC (1st gen). What i noticed is that my Arcam irDAC has a bit better resolution, detail and dynamics. The difference between both depends on how loud i play the music. Which i found quite odd tbh. Could this be because i am using it with my Raspberry PI 3B+ that also has an USB flash drive connected to it? Will a dedicated power suply for the Khadas Tone Board change anything?

P.S i am using the newest firmware for the Khadas Tone Board and i did an ABX test where my father switched between both DACs.

Veri

Master Contributor
The difference between both depends on how loud i play the music.
Note that louder usually sounds like better/more detail. If a DAC outputs 2.1/2.2v and the other one nominal 1.9/2V, unless you have the instruments to match them truly you are doing this by ear which in itself is an unreliable process.

Just to illustrate your brain/ears are easily fooling you. Possibly.

JASM

Out of curiosity, could anyone confirm if the PS4 can detect the Khadas Tone Board plugged in via USB?

ps4-audio-devices.jpg

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 6802

Note that louder usually sounds like better/more detail. If a DAC outputs 2.1/2.2v and the other one nominal 1.9/2V, unless you have the instruments to match them truly you are doing this by ear which in itself is an unreliable process.

Just to illustrate your brain/ears are easily fooling you. Possibly.

I tried another test, where i connected both DACs to my amplifier and played the same song via both DACs. I hide them both from my and my father sight. This time i was controlling which device was playing and my father was listening. First my father couldnt tell the difference and said "if i had to choose, the second one played bit better with more dynamics" that second one, was the Khadas Tone Board. You were right, we were both biased even tho i expected Khadas Tone Board to perform identically to my Arcam irDAC. I know you cant judge the performance of an DAC with ears but the whole idea of this "test" was to hear any audible difference.

Veri

Master Contributor
I tried another test, where i connected both DACs to my amplifier and played the same song via both DACs. I hide them both from my and my father sight. This time i was controlling which device was playing and my father was listening. First my father couldnt tell the difference and said "if i had to choose, the second one played bit better with more dynamics" that second one, was the Khadas Tone Board. You were right, we were both biased even tho i expected Khadas Tone Board to perform identically to my Arcam irDAC. I know you cant judge the performance of an DAC with ears but the whole idea of this "test" was to hear any audible difference.
Thanks for reporting back ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
In light of offerings like this from our chinese friends, the KTB seems to me now highly overvalued at US-$99, it is amaizing how fast things develope in the audio world .......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zishan-DSD...yer-AK4497-2-5-balance-with-amp-/273192212380

You think an AK4497 build that does not even come close to the reference AKM power/output design for $130+ is a deal? Amir already did several reviews on badly designed AK4997 devices... like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-loxjie-d20-dac-and-headphone-amp.6011/

the tone board is definitely better.

ceausuc

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just make sure you pay with CC, so that you can get a refund if they scam you.

dweekie

Hey guys I just ordered Khadas Tone Board from this website with a discount coupon "OFF1ST" for 67$ ~= 60€.
What a great deal.

I thought the generic edition was preferred. It is pricier on this site. I know nothing of this site though, so good luck.

I may be wrong here and there may be nothing to worry about, but people have had problems when ordering from a site called ozzgeek.com. ozzgeek.com now redirects to the eccgeek.com site that you link to. Hopefully, you will not have any such problems.
I made a stupid order from eccgeek 1 week ago and it's still "On Hold". My card was not charged also so I guess I'm OK :)
I suppose the site is kind of.. dead?

Hopefully you'll be okay? You never know I guess, but keep us updated if this is a legit site.

Top Bottom