• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I'm using this driver with a different XMOS-based DAC and you're right about Windows settings, in Control Panel > Sound there's a max of 24/192 setting available. With the default Win10 drivers I guess more bitrate is available.

Win10_Sound_panel.png

However, when playing DSD files the TUSBAudio Control Panel is showing the correct interface while playing with jRiver/Foobar by using this Khadas driver on ASIO, check below pics:

TUSBAudio_driver_ver.png
TUSBAudio_44KHz.png

Driver version on the left pic, playing 16bit/44.1KHz FLAC file on the right.

TUSBAudio_32bit_352.8KHz.png
TUSBAudio_32bit_384KHz.png

Playing 32bit/352.8KHz on the left, 32bit/384KHz on the right pic.

TUSBAudio_11.2MHz.png

Playing 11.2MHz quad DSD files (DSD x256)​

Source files: http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/bit-perfect-test-files/, http://www.2l.no/hires/ etc.

bequietjk

With the VIMS installed, can the I2S port be used on the TB to accept I2S from a DDC?

kprog

the VIMs version, in addition to having soldiers the pins. From what I see, is not compatible with windows?
I thought they were the same, only difference from the soldier pins
I have found for sale, but only the VIMs version in stock

mahirzukic2

the VIMs version, in addition to having soldiers the pins. From what I see, is not compatible with windows?
I thought they were the same, only difference from the soldier pins
I have found for sale, but only the VIMs version in stock
You will be fine using the VIMs edition, don't worry about it. ;)

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They should be the same and reason they omit Windows OS in left side of that document is probably because they expect you then connect it via that 40-pin header J1 to a Wim motherboard which is not a supported Windows interface, also notice there is only one firmware which point to they the same, so can you live with that 40-pin header J1 is soldered ab fabric you should be good over USB cable for Windows system using wim edition, that said to have peace in mind batches of generic version is probably soon out there again.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@trl,
If you happy not shure it matters but looks you not on latest firmware : )
[...]

Thank you, but this is Burson Conductor playing with KHadas drivers. :)

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thank you, but this is Burson Conductor playing with KHadas drivers. :)

Ups sorry my mistake and didn't notice at that time :facepalm: doing a re read of post can see you did tell loud and clear at beginning :)

Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

banaz

hey guys, new to this forum and thanking for it for the multiple advice I got :)
need one more though, as this board will be arriving in the next couple of weeks (together with jds atom ^^)
It will be connected to a gigabyte aorus x470 ultra gaming and i have 3 possible usb connections:
1)standard usb 2.0/3.1
2)standard usb 3.1 type C
3)#2 "USB DAC-UP 2" usb 3.1 with "voltage regulation" (or something similar, from what i could saw, i can change the voltage to +0.1/0.2 - never tried with the present sounblaster omni sorround)

giving that I can use whichever i want as i don't have particular needs, which port would be the best to use ?
I don't have atm an usb c -> usb c cable, buth a decent one from amazon or similar won't cost too much, wouldn't mind to invest in one if it will certainly give something more

BYRTT

Forum Donor
...which port would be the best to use ?...
As far as i know Gigabyte support printed block diagrams into their MB manuals and if that is still the case i would look up the one that is most direct to CPU, you know omit other bridges or hubs and also had it been years ago i would look up in device manager if any port had a unique non shared IRQ steering for itself but think for modern stuff that point had changed a bit so we should not care. If you on Windows platform try on the fly while listening to music toggle deactivate/activate selective suspend for USB buss in power profile and if there's a change at all and its to to the better then set it there and enjoy. About USB cables for audio use suggest should you ever come by a solid core type then try it out for audio stream and get the shortest possible practical lenght, audioQuest have a series in a dark green color that is solid core and okay in cost.

Timbo2

hey guys, new to this forum and thanking for it for the multiple advice I got :)
need one more though, as this board will be arriving in the next couple of weeks (together with jds atom ^^)
It will be connected to a gigabyte aorus x470 ultra gaming and i have 3 possible usb connections:...

As far as i know Gigabyte support printed block diagrams into their MB manuals and if that is still the case i would look up the one that is most direct to CPU, you know omit other bridges or hubs and also had it been years ago i would look up in device manager if any port had a unique non shared IRQ steering for itself but think for modern stuff that point had changed a bit so we should not care...

Remarkably enough I have this MB. Worst BIOS of any PC I've built in the last 25 years and my third and last Gigabyte build. But it has nice hardware!

There are three options for USB on the back of this board.

ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 Controller:
- 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
Chipset:
- 1 x USB Type-C™ port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, available through the internal USB header
- 6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
- 6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
CPU:
- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back panel

I believe the funky DAC ready ones hang off the chipset. The red ones are attached to the ASMedia controller. So the most "direct" given the groupings in the back and from the CPU would be the block of 4 blue ones.

My bet is you hear zero difference in any port you pick. There may be infinitesimally less latency on the CPU port, but I doubt it.

Roen

Where do the DAC-UP ports go? Part of the Chipset 3.1G1 ports?

Timbo2

Where do the DAC-UP ports go? Part of the Chipset 3.1G1 ports?

Yes, best guess from the manual. Possibly off the CPU, but probably easier for the MB to mess with the one off the chipset.

banaz

Remarkably enough I have this MB. Worst BIOS of any PC I've built in the last 25 years and my third and last Gigabyte build. But it has nice hardware!

There are three options for USB on the back of this board.

My bet is you hear zero difference in any port you pick. There may be infinitesimally less latency on the CPU port, but I doubt it.
yeah, thought so but maybe there was someone like you who already tried some configuration and had some 'testing'... will try the standard blue ones

@BYRTT, didn't have time for an thorough search but it seems that audioquest does not sell USB cables here in Italy, saw some review by one Google employee, so I'll find a decent one sold here with proper specifications (or I'll just use the one from the Sony Xperia that my gf is not using)

Reyer

Newbie questions:
1. How well is this board going to power up low impedance headphones without any amp? As of now I own STX (I) which is doing "just fine" for high impedance headphones however AKG K550 (32ohm) and few others suffers from the 10ohm amp output and I'm not in a hurry in getting the Atom just yet (shipping cost+vat+import fee are killing the deal for me as of now).
2. It it possible to set up this board with Raspberry to use it through BT when my PC is off? I'm thinking about controlling its power, volume and streaming music from my phone.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Khadas Tone Board output has not a dedicated head phone amp stage its a normal line out over a 100 ohms resistor as can be seen in the released schematic over at Khadas site.

Sounds as what you ask for should be doable using flexible Topping DX3Pro, link to ASR review is here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...x3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/#post-111096 and if you in EU below is link to a dealer for the black version although silver color is also possible.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...-p-13453.html?search_query=dx3&fast_search=fs

Last edited:

Reyer

Yeah, but I would like to craft something like that myself. Mostly because I want to learn something totally new and put RPI into use already.

Out of curiocity I have a few more questions that will allow me to understand a bit of how does the op-amps and circuits on DACs work. Please don't get angry, I do understand that they may be outrageously ignorant:

I've read somewhere that the board is equipped with OPA1612. Where are they located?
Since they're most like soldered to the board, would it be okay to unsolder them and swap with some other op-amps? Would it break the board or impair its awesome performance?
Would be there any point in changing them if the board itself is almost perfect?
Would it be possible to add an op-amp socket that would make op-amps swapping more convenient or it would only increase noise in signal or increase the resistance of a circuit that would negatively impact the sound?

Last edited:
Top Bottom