• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

bequietjk

@vitalii427

dear god.

I have some research to do. The audio chain that the user speaks of in the head-fi post is gigantic and very intruiging. Back to the drawing board!

*I still don't believe the usb-spdif implementation to sound is an experience in placebo, though ;D. No way.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
*I still don't believe the usb-spdif implementation to sound is an experience in placebo, though ;D. No way.
Maybe the difference is real (i.e. problems with USB input). Ask somebody to help you check it blindly.

Veri

Master Contributor
Normally, within 150 EUR/£ declared value, you are able to skip the VAT/import taxes ...
Above that declared value, you may able or not to skip the troubles depending the shipping company ...
IIRC that is only for import tax, above 22EUR we get value added tax on top of a handling fee here in Belgium :/

graz_lag

Major Contributor
IIRC that is only for import tax, above 22EUR we get value added tax on top of a handling fee here in Belgium :/

I see ... maybe the customs at Paris Charles de Gaulle are too busy to track all the parcels ?
My imported stuffs with no troubles for VAT / import taxes over the past two years :
Korg DS-DAC-100 @ $180 from the US
AudioEngine A5+ speakers @ $350 from the US
Topping DX7s @ $ 450 from China
JDS Labs Atom @ $ 135 from the US
Odroid C2 single board PC + HiFi Shield 2 DAC @ $ 110 from the US
;)

elberoth

22 EUR is a standard limit in the EU. Above that you should be paying import duty/VAT tax. Provided that the seller declared the correct customs value of course.

French officials do not really have the reputation of beeing to the most meticulous ... so that may be your answer ;) Lucky you!

ngs428

I currently have the Topping DX3 Pro and am considering moving to the Tone Board and Atom amp. I only use USB as an input connection. The random dying of the DX3 has me worried and warranty to China is not realistic.

How reliable is the tone board and is this a wise decision? I like the screen and remote on the DX3, but it isn’t a deal breaker.

Dominique-T

LeftWing

I read somewhere that you can use the gpio pins to power the toneboard and the USB C port will function as data only. Has anyone done it?

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Monte

Indeed, nice looking case. RCA jacks secured to case with KTB supplied ring nuts, 4 circular pads to support and insulate the pcb from the case and 2 screw holes for securing the pcb (screws don't seem to be supplied, or any washer/spacer that also might be needed). Nice price too.

Transpareo

Where has the factory default firmware gone? I think, I've started having a weird issue with the DAC after upgrading to 1226. Oftentimes the sound would just stop working, with no errors. The device is showed fine in device manager and "playback devices", but it's soundless. Only when you replug it, it goes back to normal. Weird. The DAC is connected to o2/odac in pass-through amplifier mode.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Imperfections appear from the pictures ...
Nothing more than a very standard DIY case ...
For 15€ or 12€ after Audiophonics has reversed the 3€ VAT ... One cannot expect too much for few € in fact ...
Thanks I just ordered 1. Just in time for the Tone board for the CNY presale

Top Bottom