• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

hyperknot

Could anyone make the KTB 1 work with USB-C cables? On my Macbook it doesn't even power on. With a USB C-A and A-C adapter it works well.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Could anyone make the KTB 1 work with USB-C cables? On my Macbook it doesn't even power on. With a USB C-A and A-C adapter it works well.
It's not the only one.Lots of dacs have the same limitation,they need C-A.

Sokel

Master Contributor
No matter what C cable I use?
I'm afraid so.
Haven't tried a hack to connect a striped C straight on the 2.3.4.5 pins though,maybe I try it some time,I already have a USB-B case connector connected there.

staticV3

Master Contributor
No matter what C cable I use?
Actually, there are some C-C cables that get around that limitation somehow.
I have two of them:
-Xduoo X-C12
-a DIY solution I made by cutting the Type-A female end off a OnePlus OTG adapter and replacing it with a Type-C male end

Both of these allow me to use USB accessories that don't normally work with C-C cables (KTB, PO100, 9038S G1) without an adapter.

DEleassar

I changed the original USB cable for a higher quality one last week. Now I don't have any clicks anymore with ASIO. USB-A to USB-C.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Played around a little with external PS's trying to suppress the grass on highs.
What's funny is that except for better results with external (Salas in this case) what makes the big difference is grounding this little thing (through one of it's little stand holes).

(and measurements or didn't happened)

ground-no ground.PNG

blue with ground-red no ground.

and on paper:

results.PNG

left with ground-right no ground

SINAD is 104.8dbr (not A weighted) for grounded and 103.3dbr (the same) for not grounded.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The next funny thing is that when testing with DSD256 (DoP) signal the grass is completely gone but at the cost of elevated noise as you can see.

DSD vs PCM.PNG

Blue PCM-yellow DSD256

and that is a broader view of the whole bandwidth:

band.PNG

Both this and the previous post results are absolutely repeatable and to interpret them is beyond my pay grade :).

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
What grounding does can be seen in the below measurement.
The improvement is near 15db on highs,compare it with the stock version (blue line) in Amir's measurement:

Schiit Modi+ Stereo USB DAC THD+N vs Frequency Measurements.png

Stock

THD+N vs freq.PNG

Grounded

96K.PNG

The same at 48Khz and 90K bandwidth for fair comparison

Last edited:

DrFG51

Evening - whilst I've regularly dipped into this forum for curiosity, I've now registered. I like what you do here :)
I'm a furniture maker, and I'm sketching out some plans for a one box streamer/amp. This Tone Board is really close to the top of the list for the DAC. The box will contain a Raspberry Pi, a DAC (tbc) and then hopefully just directly connected to a pair of power amp modules. I've looked at the Pecan Pi and like that a lot. It functions as a pre-amp, and can have a physical volume knob. But I'm in the UK, so by the time I've got it here, I'm looking at most of £500. This is 1/6th of the cost IF it'll do what I need..! I saw a few pictures in this thread from a French forum where someone does seem to have done it, but my French isn't up to it..!! I've also seen in mentioned a few times that a firmware update may activate it, but not sure if that's definitive. So. Can I use this board as a pre-amp with a physical volume control, and if not do you have any other bare board recommendations? I'm building a lovely walnut box to house it all, so bare cards are perfect. Thank you - apologies if this isn't in the right forum, but it is related to this board..!

scruffy1

khadas make their own boards for computing as well, which are designed to go with the tone board (and tone board 2)

have a look : https://www.khadas.com/

you'll need to address ventilation to use these in a wooden case; metal provides a passive heatsink as a container

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Evening - whilst I've regularly dipped into this forum for curiosity, I've now registered. I like what you do here :)
I'm a furniture maker, and I'm sketching out some plans for a one box streamer/amp. This Tone Board is really close to the top of the list for the DAC. The box will contain a Raspberry Pi, a DAC (tbc) and then hopefully just directly connected to a pair of power amp modules. I've looked at the Pecan Pi and like that a lot. It functions as a pre-amp, and can have a physical volume knob. But I'm in the UK, so by the time I've got it here, I'm looking at most of £500. This is 1/6th of the cost IF it'll do what I need..! I saw a few pictures in this thread from a French forum where someone does seem to have done it, but my French isn't up to it..!! I've also seen in mentioned a few times that a firmware update may activate it, but not sure if that's definitive. So. Can I use this board as a pre-amp with a physical volume control, and if not do you have any other bare board recommendations? I'm building a lovely walnut box to house it all, so bare cards are perfect. Thank you - apologies if this isn't in the right forum, but it is related to this board..!
I had a Khadas Tone Board with a RPI4 running Volumio. It sounded the same as any other DAC, what you expect these days. The only problem was a pop in the speakers. I had to remember to turn the RPi off and on last. Some DACs mute the output during power on/off e.g. the Topping D10B.

johnk

> Can I use this board as a pre-amp with a physical volume control, and if not do you have any other bare board recommendations?

I would say yes, although I am sure somebody here will correct me if I am wrong
I have done this with my tone board without any issues so far.

I would also consider something like a rotary encoder connected to the pi to control the volume. If you are using volumio then there is a plugin available here.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have done some silly comparison between Tone powered as is (throught it's USB-C connector) and powered through it's onboard pins with USB-B connector,external PS and grounded.
A bit cleaner with the external but nothing to worry about even as-is.

1Khz SINAD.jpg

1Khz SINAD - Red USB-C,Blue USB-B - external PS.

Multitone32.jpg

Multitone32 Blue USB-C,RED USB-B external PS.

CCIF 19-20K.jpg

CCIF 19/20K Blue USB-C,Pink USB-B external PS.

scruffy1

i love my pair of these dacs; even though i massacred a component of the one i use in my study when i was mounting it in a cae

the manufacturer personally reassured me the diode i trashed would not be of consequence unless i was measuring things - my hearing could not detect the deterioration

dunno if that's true, but i do know it sounds gorgeous

porotikos

after so many years, i love this dac.
Buuuuut.
I just purchased a xiaomi mi box s 2nd generation. when i connect it to khadas toneboard via usb, sound is muted. no sound either from tv or my amp. any ideas what might be the solution?
dunno if thsi si the correct thread, but thsi community is so helpful so....

Sokel

Master Contributor
after so many years, i love this dac.
Buuuuut.
I just purchased a xiaomi mi box s 2nd generation. when i connect it to khadas toneboard via usb, sound is muted. no sound either from tv or my amp. any ideas what might be the solution?
dunno if thsi si the correct thread, but thsi community is so helpful so....
The little I read Xiaomi's USB only supports Ethernet(?) and Flash disc for playback,don't think it's suitable for a DAC.

porotikos

ok thank you my friend.
so i will stick with rpi4 for my amp and mi box s for my tv in bedroom. cheers

scruffy1

does it have a driver? the khadas won't work natively i think

check out the specifications here : it says generic edition : Windows PC Linux PC macOS Raspberry Pi [2]
[2] Will also support other Single Board Computers (SBCs).

i know it won't work with my android phone, and it seems the xiaomi is based on android (tv) 11, so that may be the issue - no android compatibility?

Top Bottom