• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Silou

Can't play or play unnormal?
Have you restored the driver that played before?
I do the test can play normal, check your driver again.

It was not possible to choose higher samplerates in the Windows Audio window. After a restart of the computer it was somehow reseted. I can now choose samplerates up to 384khz in the Windows audio window again. The problem with these high samplerates is that they wont work with spotify. I have to go down to 192khz to get spotify to work. I am currently using no driver at all. When I choose ASIO in foobar the music is highly distorted. My AVR makes a high pitch noise when connected with the tone board (was the same with my SMSL M3). When I am lowering the volume in Windows it starts to crack. So far only problems for me :(

juzio

Can't play or play unnormal?
Have you restored the driver that played before?
I do the test can play normal, check your driver again.
View attachment 19317

Ben1987,
Should I install latest firmware over previous updated firmware? My Tone Board is updated with Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu-2018-1206-Upgrade-Firmware and Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu_1207-Default maximum volume or do I have to flash Tone Board with Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu-2018-0414-Original-Factory-Firmware before I udpate to new firmware?

Silou

I can not listen to DSD256 music. The music is playing but heavily distorted. Is it working for you guys?

@jackenhack firmware 1233 works for me so far on Windows 10

Edit: I fixed my DSD problem. The Buffer Settings were not well choosen

Last edited:

kiat

@amirm have you the chance to measure the Tone Board VIM version when it's connected to the VIM2 board running Volumio?

With this setup, it is now a network streamer with DAC capabilities via Tone Board

Ben1987

Audio Company
Upgraded to the new 1233 firmware and no audio out on a Mac. I want correct channels when playing DSD with this puppy
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/
1226.png

Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu_1226_Upgrade_Notes
1、Upgrade the XMOS firmware version to 6.f2
2、Fix the MAC machine does not recognize Tone Board

Notes:
1.【DFU firmware】 is directly used to upgrade Flash which already contains TB firmware (such as the board we have shipped);
2.【Flash firmware】 is the initialization of the burning firmware, we call the 【factory firmware】, which contains some logical function of the configuration;
3. If XMOS's Flash already has firmware, they can be used to upgrade.The difference between them is that the 【DFU firmware】 displays 【Khadas Tone Control】 name, while the 【Flash firmware】 does not display our name for ODM consideration.

Last edited:

kiat

Boromirka

So, to connect the Generic version with S/PDIF, i need USB Type-C power supply, right?

But which one exactly to avoid damaging the DAC? 5V 500mA?

Edit: mentioned the version of dac

Ben1987

Audio Company
So, to connect the Generic version with S/PDIF, i need USB Type-C power supply, right?
USB Type-C or GPIO header for power supply both OK.
But which one exactly to avoid damaging the DAC? 5V 500mA?
5V 500mA is enough and we have protective circuit to protect the power supply of Tone Board.

Boromirka

USB Type-C or GPIO header for power supply both OK.

5V 500mA is enough and we have protective circuit to protect the power supply of Tone Board.
Thanks, Ben. But can you link some that will fit? On amazon/ali

juzio

Upgraded to the new 1233 firmware and no audio out on a Mac. I want correct channels when playing DSD with this puppy. @Ben1987 any thoughts?

jackenhack,
Have you tried yet new "Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu-2018-1226-Upgrade-Firmware" if yes which file?
Explanation From Ben1987 is little fuzzy, I am not so sure which file to use in which scenario.

WoodyLuvr

1226 includes a XMOS update so all user types/versions should update, correct?

jackenhack

Forum Donor
Have you tried yet new "Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu-2018-1226-Upgrade-Firmware" if yes which file?
Explanation From Ben1987 is little fuzzy, I am not so sure which file to use in which scenario.

Well, it seems like I've managed to damage my DAC while trying to probe the I2C bus, so disregard my earlier mentions about the audio not working. Time to buy a new card I guess...

Top Bottom