• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Frost

Read the whole replies of this March Audio DAC1 review......

I've read them already, and it's quite a tale. The measurements are definitely suspicious, and the demands for pictures of the internals are definitely reasonable. @March Audio's claims that he doesn't wish for pictures of the board in case of intellectual thievery strikes me as odd as well, since like the others have said, it's as simple as one customer buying the product and posting pictures for all that effort to be undone. Personally I'd like to see @amirm open the device and take a superlow res photo, or one with all the IC serial numbers blurred/black out, which would show the layout, but not what chips @March Audio used, and hopefully that will help settle things.

However, as things are right now, the evidence, while damning, is not definitive, so I would prefer to see it be kept to that thread, and the witch hunting to stay there as well until some conclusive evidence appears, lest we crucify someone for producing a board that simply measures similarly to another product.

Edit: It's come to my attention that @March Audio has not stated anything about not wishing for pictures or worries about intellectual property and that those were only comments from other posters. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

Would it really matter if it was/is the tone board inside? Let's assume it is, and he is getting them for $100. If that's the case (pun), he is: manufacturing a custom enclosure, importing them to Australia, QA'ing them, providing a warranty for the finished product, promising high quality CS, and delivering for only a 3.5x markup. Not exactly criminal, particularly if he has an agreement with Khadas.

It seems to me that the final product is opinionated in it's features, but delivers excellent measurements and a high degree of fit and finish.

While it would be better if there was full disclosure to the community (if he is using a tone board), or if he simply dispelled the mystery, I don't think it's some grand conspiracy to rip people off.

Ultimately it's up to Khadas if the above situation would be acceptable for them. For the community, he has delivered accurate measurements and set realistic expectations.

Frost

Would it really matter if it was/is the tone board inside? Let's assume it is, and he is getting them for $100. If that's the case (pun), he is: manufacturing a custom enclosure, importing them to Australia, QA'ing them, providing a warranty for the finished product, promising high quality CS, and delivering for only a 3.5x markup. Not exactly criminal, particularly if he has an agreement with Khadas.

It seems to me that the final product is opinionated in it's features, but delivers excellent measurements and a high degree of fit and finish.

While it would be better if there was full disclosure to the community (if he is using a tone board), or if he simply dispelled the mystery, I don't think it's some grand conspiracy to rip people off.

Ultimately it's up to Khadas if the above situation would be acceptable for them. For the community, he has delivered accurate measurements and set realistic expectations.

Keep that discussion and suspicion where it belongs in the March Audio Dac 1 review. This is a thread specifically for the review and measurement of the Khadas Tone Board along with updates on the product and firmware and comments about products specifically listed as the Khadas Tone Board.

Tatteredmidnight

Keep that discussion and suspicion where it belongs in the March Audio Dac 1 review. This is a thread specifically for the review and measurement of the Khadas Tone Board along with updates on the product and firmware and comments about products specifically listed as the Khadas Tone Board.

I'm sorry, are you a moderator? Don't presume to tell me what to do, you can always try asking politely though. Appointing yourself the forum police is a bad look, and not one I'm inclined to indulge. I say good day to you sir, good day!

chauct

Has anyone observed any peculiar behaviors (e.g pop noise, not enumerated, etc) if the PC/Mac/Pi connecting to this board wakes up after a sleep or hibernation?

helloworld

Has anyone observed any peculiar behaviors (e.g pop noise, not enumerated, etc) if the PC/Mac/Pi connecting to this board wakes up after a sleep or hibernation?
No, but if I directly unplug the usb, there will be a pop sound from my active speaker

graz_lag

Major Contributor

envyjealousy.gif

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Well if you check their forum there is a mention about the DVD reversing channels, not a good thing. That is I think an xmos bug, An earlier Aune DAC had it if I recall. BTW I had found this board a while ago, did not get one as I did not need another DAC at the time, but did not think this it was life changing product either. Live and learn.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I've read them already, and it's quite a tale. The measurements are definitely suspicious, and the demands for pictures of the internals are definitely reasonable. @March Audio's claims that he doesn't wish for pictures of the board in case of intellectual thievery strikes me as odd as well, since like the others have said, it's as simple as one customer buying the product and posting pictures for all that effort to be undone. Personally I'd like to see @amirm open the device and take a superlow res photo, or one with all the IC serial numbers blurred/black out, which would show the layout, but not what chips @March Audio used, and hopefully that will help settle things.

However, as things are right now, the evidence, while damning, is not definitive, so I would prefer to see it be kept to that thread, and the witch hunting to stay there as well until some conclusive evidence appears, lest we crucify someone for producing a board that simply measures similarly to another product.

Could I just make a correction here, I never made any statement about not wishing pictures to be shown or being worried about intellectual property being stolen. Those were comments by other posters. Contrary to your assertion there is no obligation for any manufacturer to provide guided tours of their product internals.

I never deceived regarding the product, just refrained from commenting. It's an OEM arrangement with Khadas which is not anybodies else's business, and made prior to it becoming noticed on the forum. In fact its only through me that you are even aware of the boards capabilities. My mistake. I was naive.

I won't comment further in this thread but as you brought the subject up here your comments needed to be addressed here.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
BTW I had found this board a while ago, did not get one as I did not need another DAC at the time, but did not think this it was life changing product either. Live and learn.

Yeah, sure, that happens to me all the time I go fishing salmons ... I catch trouts (pink ones) and let them go free back into the white waters ...

Frost

Could I just make a correction here, I never made any statement about not wishing pictures to be shown or being worried about intellectual property being stolen. Those were comments by other posters. Contrary to your assertion there is no obligation for any manufacturer to provide guided tours of their product internals.

I never deceived regarding the product, just refrained from commenting. It's an OEM arrangement with Khadas which is not anybodies business, and made prior to it becoming noticed on the forum. In fact its only through me that you are even aware of the boards capabilities. My mistake.

I won't comment further in this thread but as you brought the subject up here your comments needed to be addressed here.

Understood and thanks for the correction. adding a note to the end of the post to reflect that

chauct

Well if you check their forum there is a mention about the DVD reversing channels, not a good thing. That is I think an xmos bug, An earlier Aune DAC had it if I recall. BTW I had found this board a while ago, did not get one as I did not need another DAC at the time, but did not think this it was life changing product either. Live and learn.

I read it but it doesn't look like it pertaining to my sleep question. Plus I don't have any DSD materials and don't plan to acquire any.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
is this board gone off the market yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere now.

Top Bottom