• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I've spent a few hours today critically listening to the difference of sound quality of the tone board using a direct USB connection vs a linear PSU and a powerbank, I can't hear any difference at all, sighted or blinded. All three connections sounded the same to me.

If you are available to pay the shipment cost, I would be happy to send you the V2 of the passive amplifiers my friend builds for fun ...
Be aware it offers a much larger open stage than mine ... :p

1544279563596.png

Last edited:

Transpareo

Ugh, foobar2000 doesn't like when I select maximum hz accessible via the default usb audio 2.0 driver, which is 384000. It says: "Unrecoverable playback error: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)" every time I attempt to play a track. It won't accept anything higher than 32bit/192khz. I know I don't nee such insane sampling frequencies, but still, it feels satisfying to be able to select the "turbo mode" on your toy. :) I want it, ugh! I wonder if khadas xmos driver will amend that?

Last edited:

ReAlien

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread. Is there a way to use in-built ESS DAC digital filters using this board with WIN10 PC?

Nango

Major Contributor
If you need to be able to control the volume from the computer, you should use 3. 1207-Default maximum volume.

Download the Windows playback driver Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224.rar and
[Only for some OS Upgrade XMOS]-XMOS-TUSBAudio-EVAL-V4.11.0-Setup.zip

Install first the file "Thesyscon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224"
Then install the "Only for some OS Upgrade XMOS" driver.

Start the XMOS dfu updater that should be in your Start-menu after installing the above.
If the board doesn't show up, unplug the USB and reconnect.
When the boards show up, select the 1207-Default maximum volume .bin file and press update

Does it alter or touch the sound quality/sig in any way?

Reddy

I've spent a few hours today critically listening to the difference of sound quality of the tone board using a direct USB connection vs a linear PSU and a powerbank, I can't hear any difference at all, sighted or blinded. All three connections sounded the same to me.
usually powerbanks noise as much as switcher psu

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I do believe pictures of naked hardware but maybe that's just me ..? :D I remember reading about the AQVOX many years back and it seemed overpriced for what it is, looking at the $10 one from the same Chinese factory that does confirm what I thought honestly.

You are paying for CE certification and USB connectors.

I use this AQVOX upstream my USB/SPDIF from Musical Fidelity (V-Link 192), mine - bought in 2014, was built in "ROC Taiwan", not to be confused with "PRC or Red China" ...

Sure, the CE certification has some cost (3,000 EUR +/-), and the application covers a family of items with the same characteristics, so say 230VAC-5VDC PSU from 500mA thru 5A ... so customers (we / us) pay a fraction of that application ... 1,000 items covered by the same application ? 3 EUR per item ... 6,000 items covered by the same application ? 50 cents per item ... So, fairly insignificant TBVH ...

1544300348538.png

1544301476824.png

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does it alter or touch the sound quality/sig in any way?

If upgrade alter sound quality anyway then backdoor to reflash with original factory firmware should be there, also unit could be loopback benchmarked with REW or Arta and saved for whatever firmware version and later compared into overlaid graphs.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...for-aqvox-usb-power-supply-generic-wall-wart/

AQVOX USB Power Supply is an older and lesser version of the Iomega ZIP R4W005-100.
AQVOX charging US$100 for a lesser version that can be get online for US$10 is very clever business. But I think there are justifications for this, they did glue a homemade USB plug onto it and add 2 ferrite beads to the power lines, and labour in Germany is very expensive as we all know.

Ouch !

Here you have the 2014's review from hdfever, France :
http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/06/20/test-alimentation-a-faible-bruit-aqvox/

The tests were made on the Fostex HP-A4 DAC :

Dynamic Range of 102.2dB with no AQVOX ---> 108.6dB with the AQVOX
THD of 0.0019 % with no AQVOX ---> 0.0013 % with AQVOX

OK, all it's nothing particularly sensational ... :)
150 EUR for this AQVOX from the manufacturer's site ? No thank you !
50 EUR on the second-hand market ? Yes, as you forget the potential issue of how to properly USB powering your 5VDC device, so that you can move forward to ... the next challenge ! :D

Last edited:

Jave

If you need to be able to control the volume from the computer, you should use 3. 1207-Default maximum volume.

Download the Windows playback driver Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224.rar and
[Only for some OS Upgrade XMOS]-XMOS-TUSBAudio-EVAL-V4.11.0-Setup.zip

Install first the file "Thesyscon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224"
Then install the "Only for some OS Upgrade XMOS" driver.

Start the XMOS dfu updater that should be in your Start-menu after installing the above.
If the board doesn't show up, unplug the USB and reconnect.
When the boards show up, select the 1207-Default maximum volume .bin file and press update
It should take no longer than half a minute.
Exit the program and unplug and replug the DAC.

Done.

Hope that helps
Well, I did as you suggested and now I get a second long "beep" every 30 seconds or so on the Tone Board when there is a signal coming (while listening to music or watching something). Anyone else has that problem?

jackenhack

Forum Donor
Well, I did as you suggested and now I get a second long "beep" every 30 seconds or so on the Tone Board when there is a signal coming (while listening to music or watching something). Anyone else has that problem?
You need to install the XMOS driver that is used for the upgrade, it's a demo hence the beep.

Jave

You need to install the XMOS driver that is used for the upgrade, it's a demo hence the beep.
you mean one which will be released in the future or I can change it now?

Can I roll back? remove the XMOS driver?

JBNY

I received my tone board the other day. Playback has been without problems and I’ve played PCM up to 384 and DSD native and DoP up to 256. However when playing DSD the channels are reversed. I have duplicated this using roon playing via multiple devices, micorendu, sotm, and windows 10. All forms of DSD from native DSD formatted files to upconverted PCM to DSD files play with the channels reversed. Hopefully they will fix with a firmware upgrade in the near future.

WoodyLuvr

It's Alive!

WesionTEK Khadas Generic "Tone Board" successfully integrated with agdr Audio OPA1688 Parallel (Dual-Chip) Super CMoy.
Full-detailed build with pics can be viewed HERE. Now without further ado meet "Steampunk" DAC HeadAMP:

Steampunk-DAC-HeadAMP_7.png

Steampunk-DAC-HeadAMP_1.png

The Super CMoy has been upgraded from 2 X 9V battery operation to USB-fed DC-DC Converter power. The power module consists of a RECOM RW-0509D DC-DC Converter which converts the 5V (from the USB 2.0 DIY power-only cable) to the required 9V. At max it is using under 1W (<180mA @ <5V).

agdr Audio OPA1688 Parallel Super CMoy Specs
Output Current (peak): 150 mA per channel
Output Current (rms): 106.05 mA per channel
Output Impedance: ~0 ohms
Voltage Gain: 1x ("unity-gain amplifier")
Voltage Cut-Off Level: 8.4 V nominal
Voltage Swing (peak): 7.4 Vdc
Voltage Swing (rms): 5.23 Vrms

Last edited:
Top Bottom