• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

wyrainer

make the khadas diy case ok with tone board without vim board

hi, everyone, sorry for my poor English

If you can't understand my word, please see the picture, I think this is very easy

my tone board is vim edition, if yours is generic edition, your case should be less high, because 40 pinheader is not on board

first you should buy more different lenght pole(right word??)

pole.jpg

because this case was not designed for tone board, you must cut off one side of khadas diy case, otherwise the rca and usb port can't come out

618at-uz4HL._SL1000_.jpg

at last install tone board into this case
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Hey WesionTEK, I have pretty expensive xlr cables and they sound better than my rca cables....so....can u make similar board with xlr outs + include couple of plastic plates with screw holes so we can put the board between them....roof and floor.....we dont necessarely need walls....

wyrainer

Hey WesionTEK, I have pretty expensive xlr cables and they sound better than my rca cables....so....can u make similar board with xlr outs + include couple of plastic plates with screw holes so we can put the board between them....roof and floor.....we dont necessarely need walls....
I don't think your idea is easy
because XLR's circuit is very different with RCA's, the circuit must be redesigned for XLR

Oukkidoukki

Ok, understood.......btw....those who have this, could you make a video to youtube about this playing music in your hifi setup? So far there is only one....

Last edited:

WoodyLuvr

Good day all. Just ordered a Khadas Tone Board. Quick question... would a 2 x Male RCA to 1 X Male 3.5mm TRS Audio Jack Adapter fit or is the spacing between the RCAs not standard? For example
Howdy. Khadas Tone Board RCA Outputs to a wired Amplifier 3.5mm input jack... both will be affixed together on a board inside my amp case... so absolutely no strain concerns whatsoever. The connection needs to be short as possible so as to conserve space and to avoid unneeded coiled up cable inside the case. I rather not solder lines in as I have two perfectly functioning connections to utilize that only require a very short connector. So very short is the goal here and thus why I am looking at adapters instead of interconnect cables. Do you happen to know of a 2 x RCA Male to Male 3.5mm TRS interconnect with a cable length shorter than 5cm in between? I probably could make <10cm work if I put some thought into it.
Ah OK, I understand. I have the female version of the adapter you posted before and for sure its is more compact than what is on Khadas board. I measured the distance between the centers of Left and Right RCA connectors and it is 18 millimeters. So you are going to have to go with wires, not a rigid adapter. And no, I have not seen on that short. Shortest standard adapter cable is 6 inches.
Gosh darnit... yep, 18mm is too wide for a rigid adapter. I'll need to DIY a cable then which is gonna be a nightmare with my hand tremors... LOL. How bad is it to coil up RCA cable?
Shouldn't be a problem if it is not close to a transformer. Make it figure 8 or something if it is.
Due to severe hand tremors I require the use of my lil Siamese wife's adept hands and fingers for steady guidance and or fine work when it comes to soldering and cutting. Upon showing her the cable I was wanting her to make, she was hesitant :rolleyes::confused:o_O ... even though she has successfully performed very fine soldering before for some reason the cable connector wiring diagrams overwhelmed her and made her question her capabilities.

I fortunately was able to order a 3.5 TRS (M) to RCA (M + M) 10cm long customized cable from ghentaudio for USD11... not bad. My OCD wasn't taking well to the idea of a bunch of cable coiled up inside my amp :eek:. Plus, my wife is now greatly relieved to be spared the agony of having to DIY a cable for me. :p

vincenttyler

I got given this as a gift from a friend and I'm wondering if I should use this and buy a stereo amp for it and connecting it to floorstanders for movies with my TV or just continue using my marantz pm6005 which has CS4398 dac?
I was thinking of using the pm6005 for just my PC for playing music if you think using the tone board and buying a separate stereo amp for movies would give me better sound what do you guys think?

Zek

Major Contributor
Why not use PM6005 for movies too?:oops:

ILovePhonon

I did order one for my desktop pc, im just confused, is it possible to fit the board in their DIY case? even it's meant for the wim version thing. Knowing how bad the dac/output of my motherboard is, it should be a nice upgrade, i ve already compared it with a dragonfly that i use with my phone and the difference was very significant, it will finally put to rest this horrible design Asus must have come up with on their Rog motherboards (im sure it would be the worst measuring thing around here)
Not the most elegant solution, but it works for me. I threw away the middle part of the case though, too lazy to cut the part like wyrainer did above.
88097F6D-717C-401E-B730-8E38BB9450B4.jpeg
E3CA99ED-948B-4CB2-BEC5-9F40FDC2438B.jpeg

Last edited:

ILovePhonon

I wish I could find some easy to build or purchase cases instead of frames, I never did like significant external exposure.

Which frame / case did you buy to make that?
This is the Khadas case for their VIM board. I bought it from their online store on Aliexpress.

3F6B655A-BF3F-4214-A667-B8AAE15DA4A2.png

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you have to cut anything out or just not install the side plates?

wyrainer

3D model of MiddlePart is almost done, this diy part cooperates with khadas case(top plate and bottom plate)

its size is for vims edition.
if your tone board is generic edition, you can use it, but it is little bigger

I must print one to check if somethin is wrong

I have not a 3d printer, but I find a company, it can print it for me.
two or three days later maybe I can tell you result
MiddlePart.jpg

Top Bottom