• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
Hope this is the right place to ask this, i received my KTB today and its not working. When it was connected for the first time i could see it in the windows sound manager but it didnt have sound so i installed the Thesycon v224 Driver as instructed on the Khadas site. After that the device wouldn't be recognized by either my desktop or laptop anymore.
The driver is just software so it changed nothing about the Khadas itself. In any case if you can't connect to it it's probably a faulty USB cable, or a faulty board. Best to troubleshoot and maybe return/RMA it in the case of hardware problems.

shogo

So general conclusion is there no point to remove usb power lines and supply the dac from any audiophilic psu? It doesnt upgrade sound noticeably?

Veri

Master Contributor
So general conclusion is there no point to remove usb power lines and supply the dac from any audiophilic psu? It doesnt upgrade sound noticeably?
Unless you own a very bad DAC then no, it will be filtered inside the device anyways.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It works fine as reported pages back its just the control panel doesnt give much features to dial on as in supported v2.24 that by the way works flawless given used USB cable is of a good quality is my opinion.

Windofrce

It works fine as reported pages back its just the control panel doesnt give much features to dial on as in supported v2.24 that by the way works flawless given used USB cable is of a good quality is my opinion.
What about VID/PID values?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
It was a Xmos driver package v4.13.0.0 and VID/PID was same else i hadn't tried to install and would not susseed, PM if you want a copy but as told features to dial on as in supported v2.24 is lower and my opinion/experience is supported v2.24 works perfect flawless provided USB cable is of good quality and maybe also it pays back use a USB port that have shortest route to chipset and is non shared and maybe have unique IRQ, about such stuff one should experiment one self per hardware platform for example for audio on my desktop computer i use a USB that sits vertical directly on the motherboard and for audio on my laptop there is one port on left side that is superior and also support more current than the other ports.

Aldoszx

AFAIK, Xmos drivers does not support DSD.
Tone VID is 000A and PID is 20B1
Here you can find latest 4.86 Thesycon evaluation drivers. It will expire after one month I suppose.

Windofrce

AFAIK, Xmos drivers does not support DSD.
Tone VID is 000A and PID is 20B1
Here you can find latest 4.86 Thesycon evaluation drivers. It will expire after one month I suppose.
I
It was a Xmos driver package v4.13.0.0 and VID/PID was same else i hadn't tried to install and would not susseed, PM if you want a copy but as told features to dial on as in supported v2.24 is lower and my opinion/experience is supported v2.24 works perfect flawless provided USB cable is of good quality and maybe also it pays back use a USB port that have shortest route to chipset and is non shared and maybe have unique IRQ, about such stuff one should experiment one self per hardware platform for example for audio on my desktop computer i use a USB that sits vertical directly on the motherboard and for audio on my laptop there is one port on left side that is superior and also support more current than the other ports.
I tried official v2.24 driver but it gives me double 24 bit values so I don't know which one is correct. I need correct one for my project purposes.
1600633119203.png

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I tried official v2.24 driver but it gives me double 24 bit values so I don't know which one is correct. I need correct one for my project purposes. View attachment 83943
Hi try look in "TUSBAudio control panel" on "Format" tab does "Output" be set to 16bit there then adjust it to 32bit and see what happens..

EDIT also can think of its maybe smart rightclick on v2.24 package and set it to combability mode of "Win7" before running the physical installation on a Win10 OS.

Last edited:

p3psi

Hello, I wonder if anyone can offer any help. I recently purchased a toneboard, and while I can set to 24 bit within windows settings, when I look in the TUSBAudio Control Panel, under format, I can only choose "2 channels 16 bits" or "2 channels 32 bits". Should I not be able to see 24 bits in there?

I've attached a photo.

Also, a request for some general advice if anyone can offer. What settings should I be ideally using, in terms of bit depth and sample rate, in that long windows dropdown (albeit I can only see 16 bit and 32 bit in the TUSBAudio control panel).

Attachments

• No 24 Bit.JPG
    No 24 Bit.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 116

Veri

Master Contributor
Also, a request for some general advice if anyone can offer. What settings should I be ideally using, in terms of bit depth and sample rate, in that long windows dropdown (albeit I can only see 16 bit and 32 bit in the TUSBAudio control panel).
There's no downside to selecting the higher bitrate. I always put it to 24-bit. 32-bit seems awfully high but there's really no downside to using it, while 16-bit limits your device's performance.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
...Also, a request for some general advice if anyone can offer. What settings should I be ideally using, in terms of bit depth and sample rate, in that long windows dropdown (albeit I can only see 16 bit and 32 bit in the TUSBAudio control panel).

Its 32bit generation USB and DAC chips so set it for that, 16/24bit material will run fine within, about rate for serious sound quality use a player program that support WASAPI or ASIO exclusive mode then you get bit perfect playback and rate shifts automatical to same as track material but notice Windows sound system cant get access and play any sound as long as that player have exclusive access but as soon it stops playback Windows sounds works again, about bit and rate for Windows sound system suggest set it to 44,1kHz/32bit because most sounds on www use that rate, Windows sound system use sample rate conversion so no problem should there be few material at higher rates, have fun.

p3psi

Thanks for the replies. Does it not seem odd that I cannot select 24 bit in the TUSBAudio Control Panel. Still confused by that :-s
No 24 Bit.JPG

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies. Does it not seem odd that I cannot select 24 bit in the TUSBAudio Control Panel. Still confused by that :-sView attachment 84088
Its not odd because USB and DAC chip is of 32bit generation, 16/24bit is more than covered within 32bit dynamics and will imagine 16bit setting is only supported there because some 16bit nerd or user had reguested that feature.

Veri

Master Contributor
Does different usb cable affect sound quality?
Unless your USB cable is malfunctioning... no way. Believing in fancy digital cables is like believing in the tooth fairy. Same evidence :D

Top Bottom