• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Guetta

1595189583951.png

Hi,
Can anyone explain to me the graph above and what is happening above 1k on Tone Board. How this translate to music quality? Thanks :)

Androxylo

I was using Khadas tone board for ~5 months. In general, I'm disappointed. The sound is muffled, feeling the absence of some frequencies. The instruments separation is bad, can't clearly say how many instruments are playing and where they are. At high volume ears get tired, perhaps from some distortion. My recommendation - avoid.

porotikos

I was using Khadas tone board for ~5 months. In general, I'm disappointed. The sound is muffled, feeling the absence of some frequencies. The instruments separation is bad, can't clearly say how many instruments are playing and where they are. At high volume ears get tired, perhaps from some distortion. My recommendation - avoid.
Wrong forum

zermak

Feel the same and then I realize I still have to put my headphones on :facepalm:

zermak

What is exactly off topic here? Is this forum still about Khadas Tone Board or the topic is something else? I'm simply saying that Khadas Tone Board is bad from the sound I hear recommended to avoid it.
Okay but based on what scientifically provable evidences exactly?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is exactly off topic here? Is this forum still about Khadas Tone Board or the topic is something else? I'm simply saying that Khadas Tone Board is bad from the sound I hear recommended to avoid it.

Think feel welcome tell whatever your sound experience is for whatever setup of a unit on ASR site, but also expect to be attacked and probably also be run over in arguements and documentation for a unit as KTB, why this well its okay you say for your setup sound is muffled/absence of frequencies/bad seperation etc, but its not okay on a scientific site stamp unit as not recommended because unit is objective measured perfect transperant here as seen below and for the best human ears any distortion below 115 or is it 116dB is undetectable, so please stop tell that unit is not recommended based on one users subjective judgement without backup the experienced flaws with some documentation. My own sound experience for KTB is on speaker setup (head phones not tested) i cant notice any sound difference between KTB and a ADI-2 Pro with low pass filter set to linear phase, admit i prefer buffers for KTB set a higher value than the defaults into player plus ASIO driver and TUSB controll panel for XMOS chip but difference for those settings is totally unmeasureable and can be a illusion but it makes me happy, feel free to continue stamp KTB to bad on your own particular system setup but think there some logics that point to your unit could be kind of broken or your system setup distort somewhere in the chain and it could pay back find that culprit for example samplerate convertion mismatch or non ideal buffer settings or whatever other mistake or non ideal unit in chain, have best fun whatever you do..:)
KTBt.png

nck045

Long time KTB user here (approx 2 years). It is one of the top DACs in terms of price/performance. The objective measurement matches my subjective impressions: it is simply transparent with ultra low distortion, flat sound with no coloration - a DAC that is doing it's intended job for creating 'high fidelity' audio reproduction.

IMG_20200802_001847.jpg

tglodjo

Recently purchased the KTB. Worked just fine after plugging it in to my PC (XMOS listed in Device Manager and in sound settings it's named "Khadas Tone Control"). In my settings, though, there are no 24-bit options--only 16-bit and 32-bit. Is this normal or do I need to download a driver?

Razorhelm

Wierd, i was just dealing with the same issue last night. If you install the driver from their website you get all the 24bit options.

tglodjo

Wierd, i was just dealing with the same issue last night. If you install the driver from their website you get all the 24bit options.
Do you have a link to that? You can PM if you'd like. I've looked all over the site and can't find it.

nausi

Hope this is the right place to ask this, i received my KTB today and its not working. When it was connected for the first time i could see it in the windows sound manager but it didnt have sound so i installed the Thesycon v224 Driver as instructed on the Khadas site. After that the device wouldn't be recognized by either my desktop or laptop anymore. Is there a fix for that?

Edit: The USB Cable that came with it wasn't working. Tried another slot and cable, it works now.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@nausi, suggest start the trouble shooting look into Windows device manager because there you can see from root if operating system can see the device, if there is some warning icon bounded to device it can sometimes guide one to the problem, could think of if your USB cable is not of the better ones it can miss have the real bandwidth for UAC2 devices or it can toggle power on and off from time to time and lead to such errors.

If you on Win10 suggest uninstall that v2.24 package and try get device to work first via Win10 native UAC2 driver, try another cable and try another USB port and if you get it up running there then install v2.24 package if your player need ASIO or other feature than driver support, have best luck there..

Top Bottom