• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

somebodyelse

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because i want a better sound quality.
Unless you know you've got an outrageously noisy, badly regulated and/or under-voltage USB supply it's unlikely to change performance. The measurements in this thread come from a TB connected to an ordinary PC USB port. Khadas do note that a heavily loaded Raspberry Pi may have poor enough regulation to be a problem, but IIRC don't mention which model or how much load. In their forum post (I don't have the link to hand) they do mention removing a component from the board to make sure the noisy USB power isn't used. If you check the schematic you'll see that there are diodes to stop one supply back-feeding the other, but no switching between the power pins on the header and the USB socket.

UPDATE: khadas forum thread - my memory was slightly faulty - they say that even with the large ripple on the Pi power line the onboard regulation is sufficient for the TB. They then go into detail for anyone who still wants to bypass the USB power.

Last edited:
Better than Tone Board just connected to USB?

I have it connected to my PC directly and only and I think...DAMN is it close to my 250€ SMSL M300.
With my DT1990 I think I can hear the "hump" that is why I never wanted it to be my first device.

I´m still amazed there is pretty much power on the RCA out....enough to drive my COPP for decent volume.
Of course not LOUD but definetly enough to use it.

BTW Tone board did not come to life connected to my MiMix 2s. It even took no power.
So no DAC for Android it seems....not that it ever was advertized as such.

somebodyelse

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But how the average user can know this? :)
The average user doesn't even think about it ;-) And they certainly wouldn't be messing with pins on a PCB.

I've updated the earlier post with a link to the khadas forum where they discuss some details. If it's bad enough to get past the onboard regulation you'll probably be having problems with other USB devices too.

To make money?

PLUS there are cases where a better power circuit or MORE power does help. It´s not always snake oil stuff.
I remember there was a case with SMSL sanskrit model needing MORE power than only one port was providing.

The link up there is only valid for problems you can HEAR. In that case you can hear the HDMI port of the raspberry Pi.

But If you want to burn money....go ahead. If the power supply isn´t that good it might even have a negative influence on sound.
Ultimately it is up to you....IF you hear better sound with the external power...enjoy it.

Better than Tone Board just connected to USB?

I have it connected to my PC directly and only and I think...DAMN is it close to my 250€ SMSL M300.
With my DT1990 I think I can hear the "hump" that is why I never wanted it to be my first device.

I´m still amazed there is pretty much power on the RCA out....enough to drive my COPP for decent volume.
Of course not LOUD but definetly enough to use it.

BTW Tone board did not come to life connected to my MiMix 2s. It even took no power.
So no DAC for Android it seems....not that it ever was advertized as such.
How are you able to hear the hump because it should be inaudible. Can you describe the hump please :)

I wrote I THINK I can hear it. DT1990 has much power in that frequency....that is why I use beyerdynamic filter from Frans for it.
Hump is in that region, so it pushes the frequency again :(

Maybe I think I hear it because I know it´s there. Once thing is sure....M300 sound better in the mids.
I´d finally know if I´d be blind tested with 3 or more ES9038 devices....so I´d know if I´m fooling myself.

But currently I belive I hear the hump with the DT1990. With COOP it can´t hear....it has much less power in that frequency range.

I wrote I THINK I can hear it. DT1990 has much power in that frequency....that is why I use beyerdynamic filter from Frans for it.
Hump is in that region, so it pushes the frequency again :(

Maybe I think I hear it because I know it´s there. Once thing is sure....M300 sound better in the mids.
I´d finally know if I´d be blind tested with 3 or more ES9038 devices....so I´d know if I´m fooling myself.

But currently I belive I hear the hump with the DT1990. With COOP it can´t hear....it has much less power in that frequency range.
Like someone before said - classic illusionary audiophile world :D

Herbert

@Gouwa With the new tone board think about putting the usb-connectors in line with
the rim of the pcb! (or in line with the face of the RCA-connectors that touch the inner side of the casing) Circular holes for the RCA-Jacks are easy to drill but the oval holes for USB are PITA and some users might not use USB at all. With this statement
I assume that +5V can still be drawn alternateively with the new board. A generic version without volume control would be fine for me as well...

Hello
How is it possible that I have bass distortion when I am using high gain on JDS Labs Atom at low volume, but don't have the distortion when using low gain at very high listening volume? I have Beyer DT990 Pro and Khadas Tone Board as a DAC. Distortion thing is about DAC or AMP in this case?

Top Bottom