• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

derp1n

hello, you can check on the datasheet of Tone Board, there is details on it with opamps, RT6862/6863
Thanks, yeah, someone posted those earlier... but we couldn't find any information about them at all, no datasheets or specs, really only a single reference about custom ICs.

willow

Thanks, yeah, someone posted those earlier... but we couldn't find any information about them at all, no datasheets or specs, really only a single reference about custom ICs.
there is the NDA, so we only can make it only our Khadas Tone board datasheet.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stack & Sync: this DAC seems to be the ideal candidate to stack & sync for multichannel usage. I could not find any details on this possibility yet.
Since I have a lot of ripped SACD MCH (5.1) music, I was thinking of building a mch DAC with Network access to my NAS and with Analog mch outputs as well as HDMI output.... It seems almost impossible to find such a device that is comparable with the OPPO 205 feature set.
What about this? I would be interested... Sync these oard in a 10 Channels DACs... then again one is approaching the price of those Pro Audio interfaces whose performance is not too shabby either ..

TimW

Major Contributor
Using dimensions from the .DXF drawing available on the Khadas website along with dimensions taken by Amir and RCA connector drawings supplied by willow, I have created a dimensioned drawing of the board for mounting purposes. This should provide you with all of the necessary dimensions to be able to size and position mounting holes for a back panel. It also gives you standoff mounting hole locations. If you print it out full size on a standard letter size sheet it should be to scale. When I receive one of these boards I will measure and verify these dimensions and update this drawing if necessary.

Attachments

• Khadas_Tone_Board_Dims(2).pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 362

gvl

Major Contributor
Stack & Sync: this DAC seems to be the ideal candidate to stack & sync for multichannel usage. I could not find any details on this possibility yet.
Since I have a lot of ripped SACD MCH (5.1) music, I was thinking of building a mch DAC with Network access to my NAS and with Analog mch outputs as well as HDMI output.... It seems almost impossible to find such a device that is comparable with the OPPO 205 feature set.

The ESS chip runs in async mode on these boards, so the latency across channels can be random, however the differences might be small enough to cause issues.

Jos

The ESS chip runs in async mode on these boards, so the latency across channels can be random, however the differences might be small enough to cause issues.

Perhaps it is not required to add further boards.... The ESS 9038Pro is capable of running 8 ch anyway.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am not sure to understand the question... During my listening session yesterday evening (3 hours) no pops or clicks but I am not switching the unit On or Off while I am listening :)
Would mind please testing for any noise when switching the board on and off (pluging and unpluging the DC in) while your amplifier is on?

Dominique-T

Would mind please testing for any noise when switching the board on and off (pluging and unpluging the DC in) while your amplifier is on?

I will not do it because this is a bad practice. I always switch my amplifier off before the sources.

It is normal that switching the sources off first can create a strong noise in the speakers. I do not want to take the risk to damage my expensive compression drivers.

And what would be the point? This board get the power supply from the USB port, there is no switch. It is switched off when I turn my SMSL DP3 off.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably afraid that the pops, if present, could hurt his speakers.

It's sad that so much equipment has that problem.

It's either put it on a battery backup or play Russian roulette with your transducers.

Reactions: pos

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've seen you ask this many times. Out of curiousity, why do you pay so much attention to this?
I use digital volume control only, with around 120dB SPL @1m for 0dBFS. Any pop or click can be very loud and, depending on the spectral power distribution, possibly break an unprotected compression driver in an active crossover scenario.
Power sequencing, either manual or automated, does not address the risk of a power outage or human error.
There is no shortcut to a well behaved DAC in this kind of situation.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading the entire thread my conclusion is this is more of a DIY component than a complete product. The turn on and off pop issue bothers me, especially after seeing one owner here become very defensive about it. I would have to say guilty until proven innocent on that one.

Top Bottom