• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hey guys, you think its worth to upgrade from Sabaj DA3 to Khadas?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...baj-da3-dac-compared-to-dragonfly-black.3503/

Unfortunately I can directly compare only "dashboard" graph.. I would be really interested in IMD graph of the Sabaj. @amirm Do you still have your Sabaj DA3?

Its highly dependent on what the rest of the chain is.

Although I have both, I can't give a proper apples to apples comparison yet as I have never run the Da3 through my desktop amp.
But general impressions is a certain 'airyness' from the KTB compared to the Da3 standalone for both HE4XX and HD6XX.

Will have to plug the Da3 to output through the desktop amp (Matrix HPA-3B ) and do a proper A/B session with the KTB to give a fair assessment.

[

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hm-I don´t get it:
I have the generic version.
I should get the +5V Power and SPDIF-Input also over the 40-pin FP connectors, correct?
There are some photos in this thread, showing the FPC pins wired to external power supplies
According to the manual it should be Pins1&2 for power, Pin 13 for (VIM)- SPDIF
But testing the 40-Pin FPC with a voltmeter i do not measure any physical connections between Pin 13 and the
signal line of the SPDIF jack or between pins 1/2 and the USB Jack´s connections.
No beeping from the voltmeter.
It is also not clear to me, where is ground? There is 9 pins to choose from.
Pins 1/2 are labeled 5V1/2. So both carry the voltage?

But bottom line, the FPC is not usable in the generic version?

Thanks,
Herbert

Last edited:

rendyG

Its highly dependent on what the rest of the chain is.

Although I have both, I can't give a proper apples to apples comparison yet as I have never run the Da3 through my desktop amp.
But general impressions is a certain 'airyness' from the KTB compared to the Da3 standalone for both HE4XX and HD6XX.

Will have to plug the Da3 to output through the desktop amp (Matrix HPA-3B ) and do a proper A/B session with the KTB to give a fair assessment.

[

Thank you both for your impressions.
I use Atom as an amp now + mainly Edition X, HD580 and AlphaDog.
If Khadas is even more airy than DA3, I need to hear it.
So far I've found DA3 to be one of the leanest DACs I've heard - I would say it has tight and accurate bass.
Still, I find it great for powering iems, for example FH5 really benefits from it's balanced out.
Really looking forward to hearing Khadas :)

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Hm-I don´t get it:
I have the generic version.
I should get the +5V Power and SPDIF-Input also over the 40-pin FP connectors, correct?
There are some photos in this thread, showing the FPC pins wired to external power supplies
According to the manual it should be Pins1&2 for power, Pin 13 for (VIM)- SPDIF
But testing the 40-Pin FPC with a voltmeter i do not measure any physical connections between Pin 13 and the
signal line of the SPDIF jack or between pins 1/2 and the USB Jack´s connections.
No beeping from the voltmeter.
It is also not clear to me, where is ground? There is 9 pins to choose from.
Pins 1/2 are labeled 5V1/2. So both carry the voltage?

But bottom line, the FPC is not usable in the generic version?

Thanks,
Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Hope it helps even i could be wrong with this dirty quick and ugly debug of why you can't use DMM simple DC beebing, if you haven't got it yet then a full and better resolution schematic is available over at Khadas site. We see below those two 5 volt feedings meet in common at F1 fuse but there's a SOT-563 device implemented for each feeding so whatever impedance is for that SOT-563 device will spoil your beeb.

About SPDIF i was too lazy but try look up in schematic pdf file.

1000.png

Herbert

Thanks! Pin 1 carries the voltage, pin 2 is voltage ground?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Right in style as below, pin 1 is positive (red one) and pin 21 is ground (blue one), pin convention can be seen turning PCB upside down where numbers are printed at each end of the fourty terminals, a note is pin 2 is actual same as pin 1 in they paralell bonded together in schematic and many other that pin 21 is also ground connections. And if you want a physical solder point for SPDIF input it should be fair easy solder to same terminals as the physical RCA connector at bottom of PCB side.

index.php

ripvw

Forum Donor
Received the Tone Board earlier this week - now running it with the JDS Atom - very happy with the results!

I also installed the Tone Board into the Audiophonics box - like others have posted the graphics are backwards but otherwise it does the job of protecting the DAC.

I'll have to decide what to do with the Topping DX7S...

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Thank you both for your impressions.
I use Atom as an amp now + mainly Edition X, HD580 and AlphaDog.
If Khadas is even more airy than DA3, I need to hear it.
So far I've found DA3 to be one of the leanest DACs I've heard - I would say it has tight and accurate bass.
Still, I find it great for powering iems, for example FH5 really benefits from it's balanced out.
Really looking forward to hearing Khadas :)

As I said, its not an apples to apples comparison as the desktop amp (Matrix HPA-3B) might have dramatically affected the output results to the headphones. And it was mostly from memory of how the 2 headphones sound on the Da3 too. I use the Da3 mostly with my IEM at work, at my desk, though I have used it with the two headphones directly for work too. But that was 1~2 months back.

I'll will have to spend an hour or two to rig up both DACs and both headphones to run on the amp and do a better A/B.
Logically, if they are performing as their measurement numbers suggest, then the differences won't be too dramatic.

Give it a rest while I do some subjective listening over the weekend. :D

Megatronic

Hi. How can i connect ktb through spdif if i have this connector, like on picture? Or its impossible?
182942k55fk2wwnknnewgz.jpeg

Megatronic

Thanks. Sad news. But if i buy some cheap pci-ex audiocard with coax spdif, it will be better than usb connection?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. Sad news. But if i buy some cheap pci-ex audiocard with coax spdif, it will be better than usb connection?
If there is improvement it will be like 1-1.5db better signal over noise. Hardly worth the purchase of a new device, new cable and connection, ...

In my opinion, go USB :) :)

Megatronic

If there is improvement it will be like 1-1.5db better signal over noise. Hardly worth the purchase of a new device, new cable and connection, ...

In my opinion, go USB :):)
Thanks. Than for usb we have 110 db, and for spdif we have like 111-111.5 db right? And how about noise\interference without additional power supply from usb, will we have improvements when connect to spdif? And can we use other cable like type c on both side instead of standart cable?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. Than for usb we have 110 db, and for spdif we have like 111-111.5 db right? And how about noise\interference without additional power supply from usb, will we have improvements when connect to spdif? And can we use other cable like type c on both side instead of standart cable?
should not be a problem really, you can trust in the measurements for USB, they look very clean

And can we use other cable like type c on both side instead of standart cable?
I think so yes, although I recommend using the supplied cable first (I believe it's pretty decent?).

maxxevv

Major Contributor
@rendyG ,

just spent an hour A/B-ing between the KTB connected to my Matrix HPA-3B and the Sabaj Da3 both with and without the external amp.
With the external amp, the KTB does indeed sound airier and a little better sparkle in the minute details in the background. The output values of volume were a little different between the two, so I could only subjectively adjust them to what I feel were equal, or at least what I hear. So a lot of variable there.

On the the Da3 direct, the differences were a bit more subtle. But the minute details and sparkle differences were a little bit less pronounced. So I'm thinking those little details are the things that add that bit of "airiness' for the KTB setup.

Again, this is subjective as I do not have an objectively calibrated volume equalisation between the 2 setups.

But one thing is obvious between the two Da3 setups and the KTB + HAP-3B setup was that sibilance was more evident on the Da3 ones.

Addendum:
But I must add that in some ways, the KTB does sound a little 'bright' and can sound a little uncomfortable for high register violin tunes.

This was output to my HE4XX planars. Both my amp and the Da3 were using balanced out.
Software was Foobar using "DSD: WASAPI ( Event) "option for both the KTB and Da3.

Tracks tested include:
The Coors : Little Bird ( from The Coors - Unplugged)
Time After Time : Cyndi Lauper with Sarah Mclachlan
Hello : Adele
Hotel California : The Eagles -Hell Freezes Over (XRCD)
Bruch Scottish Fantasia : David Ostrakh with London Symphony Orchestra
Beethoven Symphony 9: 3rd and 4th Movement : Georg Solti with Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Gustav Holst : Jupiter from Planets Suite : Georg Solti with London Philharmonic

Last edited:

Dominique

Hi,
For diyers,
According to the schematic and the post 984, feeding 5V through USB or via GPIO 1-21 is the same because in each case the 5V passes through a Schottky barrier (NSR0320XV6T1).
- So don't bother to find GPIO 1-21 but feed the 5V via the USB plug. Keep attention to never use the 5V from a PC. You have better to use a 5V low noise linear PSU

rendyG

@rendyG ,

just spent an hour A/B-ing between the KTB connected to my Matrix HPA-3B and the Sabaj Da3 both with and without the external amp.
With the external amp, the KTB does indeed sound airier and a little better sparkle in the minute details in the background. The output values of volume were a little different between the two, so I could only subjectively adjust them to what I feel were equal, or at least what I hear. So a lot of variable there.

On the the Da3 direct, the differences were a bit more subtle. But the minute details and sparkle differences were a little bit less pronounced. So I'm thinking those little details are the things that add that bit of "airiness' for the KTB setup.

Again, this is subjective as I do not have an objectively calibrated volume equalisation between the 2 setups.

But one thing is obvious between the two Da3 setups and the KTB + HAP-3B setup was that sibilance was more evident on the Da3 ones.

Addendum:
But I must add that in some ways, the KTB does sound a little 'bright' and can sound a little uncomfortable for high register violin tunes.

This was output to my HE4XX planars. Both my amp and the Da3 were using balanced out.
Software was Foobar using "DSD: WASAPI ( Event) "option for both the KTB and Da3.

Tracks tested include:
The Coors : Little Bird ( from The Coors - Unplugged)
Time After Time : Cyndi Lauper with Sarah Mclachlan
Hello : Adele
Hotel California : The Eagles -Hell Freezes Over (XRCD)
Bruch Scottish Fantasia : David Ostrakh with London Symphony Orchestra
Beethoven Symphony 9: 3rd and 4th Movement : Georg Solti with Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Gustav Holst : Jupiter from Planets Suite : Georg Solti with London Philharmonic

Thank you for taking the time to do the AB test :)
I am hoping the Khadas will have better depth, because even though I like BAL out of DA3, when I use SE out, depth gets totally screwed. First, I was thinking, yea, the balanced sounds really good, but as I don´t have balanced amp, I use my full-size headphones 90% with SE out through my Atom. The depth of DA3 on SE is terrible, making almost everything sound "in your face" with only separation going left & right, like only 1 layer of the sound if you know what I mean.. I hear this not only with my Edition X, but also with iems (FH5, Noble X) and I´m really hoping this is just example of bad implementation of SE out on DA3, because for example Mojo excells at this dept-layering even on SE out..

Herbert

- So don't bother to find GPIO 1-21 but feed the 5V via the USB plug. Keep attention to never use the 5V from a PC. You have better to use a 5V low noise linear PSU

Your linked PSU shows why it is probably easier to find GPIO 1 (+5v) and 21 (GND) and connect them with wire to the PSU
instead of plucking an USB connector to pieces - and figure which wire carries the voltage...
As far as I understand the schottky diode (thanks for posting the link) protects the USB jack by blocking voltage
coming from the GPIO - very logical and the reason why I could not measure a connection. It did not come
into my mind that the USB has always to be protected from voltages coming from other sources...

Last edited:
Top Bottom