• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Cidious

Tried them with my headphones and my lehman (burson V6 or Sparkos SS3602) headphone amp behind it and then the ES9038 sounds better.

So I guess I have two DACs now doing their own jobs. The DX3 Pro can keep feeding my speakers whereas the ES9038 is well suitable for my cans. With the Lehman and my cans it does actually quite well. More clarity dan the DX3 Pro and tighter bass. It brings my mad dogs more alive and also pairs well with my Beyerdynamics 600ohm tesla drivers. A bit harsh in the treble though.

I'll build a case for it this week and show you guys the result of the case. Shouldn't be too hard once the supplies come in.

alashikata

Sorry for that

Laptop -- powered usb hub - USB signal and power purifier - DAC - QMS Q5 active speakers.

So yes directly from DAC into active speakers. Just like I test all my DACs. If I use headphones i'd use the Lehmann in this case. Haven't tried headphones yet. It's time for my afternoon nap. I became thirty recently. I can feel I'm getting older.

I don't have active speakers so I don't know know
Mine is Laptop --DAC---YaQin MC-100B integrate Amp--JBL speakers
The best part is playing SACD ISO, I would say it's around 20% better than my old Benchmark DAC2.
Nothing to complain since $80 vs $1700, it's a deal. However, Benchmark can act as preamp so you really can't compare the cost except the sound quality. And Benchmark DAC is a qualify built too.

filipe73

Received my Khadas and I'm just going to spit it out.

Any burn in difference registered with any of you guys? Because to me it doesn't sound that great. My old ES9018 beats it and the DX3 Pro too. Don't know what the fuzz is about.

Yes the DAC apparently measures good but doesn't sound very good to my ears... Yes it has detail, thick ( a bit overbloated bass) and in your face sound but lacking refinement and almost no sound stage present. Sounds a bit colored too. a bit anxious. After a while of listening I need to turn the volume down because I start feeling annoyed with something. The voices sound a bit like in a swimming pool too (the coloration).

Maybe I overexpected seeing it's measurements. Maybe those measurements don't translate very well into listening experience.

Maybe it's flavor and taste coming into play here but I compared it to my unmodified DX3 Pro and that unit is just a way better in many areas. More musically pleasing package, more natural voices. More sophisticated. And with a case, bluetooth, display, remote control and optical in. At twice the price though. But still dirt cheap.

I'll give it a few days of running.. see if any burn-in will change anything.

Hi,

Some say there is no burn in for this type of electronic device, they attribute any change to a adaptation of your brain to the new sound. It may be so, but not in my opinion. I´ve felt a slight improvement in this month i have it. Not by much i must say. My topping d30 sounded great from the start, with apparently livelier dynamic and less harsh. And i felt it more "communicative" from the beggining: it is like when someone is talking to you and uses gestures to better express what he is saying. The Topping seems to have this quality, it "pulls" some sounds and musical passages, like a human would do (don´t take this too litteraly...). The TKB has a somewhat more ethereal sound, like someone talking to you in a beautifull voice but without the gestures, and that might be taken as less entertaining.

But, i would give it more time. My Rega Saturn took ages to open up, and was, at least to me, a proof that some gear take a long time to blossom. If it was a question of adaptation it was the longest adaptation i experienced (500 hours plus). Back to KTB, the sound seems to adapt better to some types of music than others (but we are talking marginally things here...), the sound is more frontal (in my experience you benefit from putting yourself closer to the speakers), and the sound though clean and with insight, lacks just a little bit ...is difficult to put it (and english is not my mother language) of amplitude in the punch, in the swing. I consider it a good by and it softens a little with time, no doubt about it, might it be from burn in time or whatever cause. And i would not consider by any means the bass is overbloated, in fact i think the bass is in the soft side with great extension, maybe is a system thing...

Hope it helps

Cidious

I think how things sound is a personal thing. I can understand some people liking the forward sound of the Khadas. it certainly pairs very well with certain music styles that are a bit calmer I just feel it gets lost in chaos a bit with some of the faster rougher tracks that I listen to. It fatigues me. But with the headphones and the Lehman in between it does a pretty decent job and I get a nice vibrant sound out of it.

I just love the more open and neutral sound of the DX3 Pro with my Q5s which are engaging and fun on themselves. A better pair with the DX3 I guess

The Benchmark DAC2 is ES9028 right ?

alashikata

I think how things sound is a personal thing. I can understand some people liking the forward sound of the Khadas. it certainly pairs very well with certain music styles that are a bit calmer I just feel it gets lost in chaos a bit with some of the faster rougher tracks that I listen to. It fatigues me. But with the headphones and the Lehman in between it does a pretty decent job and I get a nice vibrant sound out of it.

I just love the more open and neutral sound of the DX3 Pro with my Q5s which are engaging and fun on themselves. A better pair with the DX3 I guess

The Benchmark DAC2 is ES9028 right ?

BM DAC2 uses ES9018, DAC3 is ES9028. Since I am getting a preamp later so I don't need Benchmark DAC otherwise it's pretty good. I have been listened for few weeks now, I like it. Sound is way more better on MP3, FLAC is a little, except SACD is way different compare to Benchmark. Even thought the benchmark is decent. I will ask my friend to test it to see what he thinks.

As filipe73 mention about the bass, I have upgraded my tubes and caps with higher value so I am not sure if the bass is better because of the tubes and caps upgrade or the KTB. But the bass is wonderful.

Last edited:

willow

Mine were ordered first week of January and I still don't have it ! :mad:
Hello, please message me your order ID and the shop you order so that I can track for you.
sorry for the waiting. we are just finished the new manufacturing at the end of January.

Cidious

I have spend the whole day on switching back and forth between 4 dacs.

DX3 Pro (original unmodified)
DX3 Pro (modified but standard OPA1612)
Khadas Tone Board (in temporary alu case from SMSL Sanskrit)
LKS ES9018 (CCS I/V AD797 Class A / opa1612 buffer)

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The ESS chips sound better paired with my Lehman and headphones. Where the AK4493 sound better with my active speakers. When I plug in the modified DX3 on my speakers all music just sounds good and makes me happy. foot tapping and it's comfortable. The Khadas is more forward and engaging but after a while it fatigues me on the speakers. on the other side the DX3 Pro sounds a bit dull on the Lehman with headphones. Where the ESS brings life to them.

All of them are transparant and wel performing in most areas where DACs should perform but I guess taste is not to be overlooked... The Khadas and DX3 Pro perform not very far apart in measurements but have their own sound signature.

Winners:

DX3 Pro (modified) for QMS Q5 active nearfield speakers
Khadas for Lehman with Mad Dogs, Beyerdynamics 600ohm Tesla drivers.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...When I plug in the modified DX3 on my speakers all music just sounds good and makes me happy. foot tapping and it's comfortable. The Khadas is more forward and engaging but after a while it fatigues me on the speakers. on the other side the DX3 Pro sounds a bit dull on the Lehman with headphones. Where the ESS brings life to them...

Speculate what about their small stopband frq response differences is that what makes your speakers so happy, it looks in @amirm response measurement for DX3pro be something close to 1st order at 3,4Hz highpass filter and say a 1st order lowpass filter in area 120-150kHz, you could try set a same filter in player or use capacitor network after DAC and see if that makes speaker sound more happy using Khadas TB verse DX3pro.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
...Khadas Tone Board (in temporary alu case from SMSL Sanskrit)...

Curios about if you didn't notice any subjective tiny change in sound naked verse a metal box, or didn't you couple metal box to PCB ground potential somewhere and so metal box is its own kind of floating antenna.

alashikata

I have spend the whole day on switching back and forth between 4 dacs.

Winners:

DX3 Pro (modified) for QMS Q5 active nearfield speakers
Khadas for Lehman with Mad Dogs, Beyerdynamics 600ohm Tesla drivers.

Some of the songs on MP3 at 128kbps sounded really weird but no problem with 320kbps especially the bass that I ripped from the same CD. No problem with FLAC, SACD, or CD player. While the Benchmark is fine

Roen

I can play DSD512 Natively on the Tone Board through foobar. I thought people should know.

Roen

not possible. they don't even use that fast crystal oscillator. see https://forum.khadas.com/t/what-dsd-mode-is-used/2625/3

I once replace my ntoskrnl.exe file in my Windows 10 with the vmlinuz copied from my debian Linux CD and the system boots properly.

That's what it says in TUSB Audio Control Panel

Current Sample Rate: 22579200 Hz

I've had DOP only DACs before, if it doesn't handle native DSD at whatever rate, all you'll hear is pink noise.

Attachments

• KTBDSD.png
    KTBDSD.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 188

yue

That's what it says in TUSB Audio Control Panel

Current Sample Rate: 22579200 Hz

I've had DOP only DACs before, if it doesn't handle native DSD at whatever rate, all you'll hear is pink noise.
likely they upgraded the board without notice.
@Ben1987 @willow can you confirm?

Last edited:

ceausuc

Hello, thank you for your question. Yes, I am a representative of Khadas. But we still dont have the plan to producing the vesion of this DAC to the Raspberry Pi as we have our own SBC call Khadas VIMs, which have the better specification. But Tone board can be supported the S/PDIF input with the Ras Pi. If you want to have the S/PDIF in and out, please use our SBCs. Thank you.

Well.. I hope you will change your mind one day because I think the software support that RPI has is far more important that the better specs of the VIM (do these specs even matter when playing music?). Besides the fact that some many people already own a RPI.

alashikata

I can play DSD512 Natively on the Tone Board through foobar. I thought people should know.

Maybe compress? All I have is DSD64, it's damn good. How did you get 512? Even I ripped my SACD from PS3, I don't get that high.

Roen

Maybe compress? All I have is DSD64, it's damn good. How did you get 512? Even I ripped my SACD from PS3, I don't get that high.

Upsampling through foobar.

Natively I only have DSD128.

Top Bottom