• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Boromirka

I am quite confused about S/PDIF in

Which cable from those two do i need?

Attachments

• 41PlimoUe9L._US500_.jpg
    41PlimoUe9L._US500_.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 325
  • Без названия (23).jpeg
    Без названия (23).jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 260

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Boromirka, Tone board use electric wired S/PDIF so the one at right side, you should be covered if marketing tell its either/or target for S/PDIF use or its a 75 ohms impedance cable.

Hi folks!
I am new to here. I have searched for a Dac and an Amp for a while since I brought an HD6XX from Massdrop. I have read a lot of articles from here and some videos on Youtube. I have been interested in JDS Labs Atom, Thx AAA 789, Topping D5x, SMSL su-8 v2 and Khadas tone board.
I have finally got my Khadas tone board with a case. I am going to show you my case with the tone board.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

@amirm Thanks for the test of the Khadas and JDS Labs Atom!!!

I probably will get a JDS Labs Atom with the tone board.

I hope you guys will enjoy here as well!

Cheers!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That looks like a pretty clean an cheap case adaptation.

Didn't know that the board actually has a LED to indicate function/power.

Just be careful of those connectors. The lock rings for the RCA / Co-Axial connectors are meant to be mounted onto a case so as to take the stress load off the PCB mount.

BTW, is it possible to give a measurement of the external diameter of those lock rings ? I'm in the process of designing my own case while waiting for the board to arrive. Those rings are the only things which I can't find a direct ( though implied ones are available) measurements for.

I am going to use a 3D printer to make a surrounding part of the case as well.

I don't have a tool for measuring the lock rings. I am afraid I will give you the wrong measurements.
Sorry about that.

BTW, I won't worry about the stress load off from the RCA / Co-Axial connectors because the connectors are really smooth when I plug in and off the connectors. I will more worry about the USB type-C connector. That connector is a little bit tie. I will keep the type-C plug in all the time.

Boromirka

Hi folks!
I am new to here. I have searched for a Dac and an Amp for a while since I brought an HD6XX from Massdrop. I have read a lot of articles from here and some videos on Youtube. I have been interested in JDS Labs Atom, Thx AAA 789, Topping D5x, SMSL su-8 v2 and Khadas tone board.
I have finally got my Khadas tone board with a case. I am going to show you my case with the tone board.

*PICTURES*

@amirm Thanks for the test of the Khadas and JDS Labs Atom!!!

I probably will get a JDS Labs Atom with the tone board.

I hope you guys will enjoy here as well!

Cheers!
Hugh, so, it is possible to use DIY Khadas case for VIMs without any extra setup? (like drilling holes etc)

drewfIr

Hugh, so, it is possible to use DIY Khadas case for VIMs without any extra setup? (like drilling holes etc)
It's possible. You don't have to drill any hole in the case.

My tone board is the Generic Edition. But it just makes thinner than VIMs Edition Tone board with the case.

I removed the surrounding part of the case. You may need more screws. The small short black screws.

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty clean an cheap case adaptation.

Didn't know that the board actually has a LED to indicate function/power.

Just be careful of those connectors. The lock rings for the RCA / Co-Axial connectors are meant to be mounted onto a case so as to take the stress load off the PCB mount.

BTW, is it possible to give a measurement of the external diameter of those lock rings ? I'm in the process of designing my own case while waiting for the board to arrive. Those rings are the only things which I can't find a direct ( though implied ones are available) measurements for.

Hi maxxevv,
I found the specifications of the RCA connectors.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iontek-khadas-tone-board-dac.4823/post-109411

index.php

index.php

Hope this will help you.

filipe73

Hi,

I´ve just received my KTB for a week and i would like to give my opinion on how it sounds. I use this board just a as a DAC using the coaxial input. The sound is very equilibrated (neutral) and clean. Compared to my Rega Saturn and Topping D30 it is the most transparent. The only negative point i could criticize is that it is a little shy on dynamics. It has a soft sound, perfect for something like a brazillian music live concert (by Elis Regina), but in music that requires more vigorous swings it´s not totally there...well at least this is my feeling. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that is a DAC powered by a 5V power supply, i don´t know. For instance the plucking of a guitar is crystalline but does lack some "fastness" and "tension" to my ears. Anyway this is a beautiful sounding DAC and i hope it will improve even more with some more burn in time.

Any comments about this or sugestions to overcome this apparently shortcome on dynamics (maybe a buffer...) are welcome.

Thanks.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Your Rega and D30 were output via the Burson too ?

I'm not sure why the difference but usually, if a amp or DAC has distortion/noise in its signal output, playing a heavily treble emphasised track such as a violin concerto solo at moderately high (above normal listening volumes) will bring out plenty of discomfort after just a brief few minutes. Whereas an amp or DAC that has very low levels of noise of distortion, that discomfort is usually not evident. Sometimes what we hear as 'dynamics' can actually be artifacts from distortion, at least that's what I have experienced, how much of that is scientifically verifiable is of course up for debate.

You could try connecting to your 3 different DAC's and as someone to adjust the volume for you without you looking at it. And then compare where the discomfort comes in or where the 'glare' is too hard to ignore. See what would be your experience. Note that its only valid if you have no idea where that volume is actually at. ;)

filipe73

Your Rega and D30 were output via the Burson too ?

I'm not sure why the difference but usually, if a amp or DAC has distortion/noise in its signal output, playing a heavily treble emphasised track such as a violin concerto solo at moderately high (above normal listening volumes) will bring out plenty of discomfort after just a brief few minutes. Whereas an amp or DAC that has very low levels of noise of distortion, that discomfort is usually not evident. Sometimes what we hear as 'dynamics' can actually be artifacts from distortion, at least that's what I have experienced, how much of that is scientifically verifiable is of course up for debate.

You could try connecting to your 3 different DAC's and as someone to adjust the volume for you without you looking at it. And then compare where the discomfort comes in or where the 'glare' is too hard to ignore. See what would be your experience. Note that its only valid if you have no idea where that volume is actually at. ;)

I understand what you saying, the less distortion the louder you can listen without discomfort. But i´m listening to very familiar recordings and what i can say is that from my experiences it lacks just a little bit of bite and attack on transitions compared to topping d30 (which i was using almost all the time before). For me it translates as less dramatic in some passages. Not a big deal all weighted. The KTB takes the lead in what refers to image and transparency, but is somewhat more laidback in nature (in my system: pre and power Burson and Audiophysic tempo Speakers). I wonder if this can be measured in someway by Amir as i am not proficient in electronics?

Top Bottom