• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

JaapDeventer

I have recently built a Pass ACA power amp. I use a Chord Mojo as dac/pre amp. The Mojo deliveres more than enough volume. But the Mojo is a loaner and needs to be returned to the owner in short time.

I was thinking I could use the Tone Board as a dac. But will the Tone Board in its selve be sufficient or will I need a pre amp between the Tone Board and the power amp?

TimW

Major Contributor
Here is an updated dimension sheet for the Khadas Tone Board. I updated the dimensions based on my sample of the product. This should provide you with all of the necessary dimensions to be able to size and position openings for the back panel of an enclosure. It also gives you standoff mounting hole locations. If you print it out full size on a standard letter size sheet it should be to scale. I am also planning to provide a parts list and directions for how to put together your own enclosure for the Tone Board. I am just a forum member and am not affiliated with Khadas.

Attachments

• Khadas_Tone_Board_Dims(3).pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 467
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was thinking I could use the Tone Board as a dac. But will the Tone Board in its selve be sufficient or will I need a pre amp between the Tone Board and the power amp?
You need a volume control some place. If you have one in digital domain that works for you (e.g. in the player), then no, you don't need anything in between. Otherwise you need a pre-amp for that purpose.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is an updated dimension sheet for the Khadas Tone Board. I updated the dimensions based on my sample of the product. This should provide you with all of the necessary dimensions to be able to size and position openings for the back panel of an enclosure. It also gives you standoff mounting hole locations. If you print it out full size on a standard letter size sheet it should be to scale. I am also planning to provide a parts list and directions for how to put together your own enclosure for the Tone Board. I am just a forum member and am not affiliated with Khadas.
That's a great!

Grave

This DAC has better performance than my Topping D30. I think that I would rather have worse performance and a case though.

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
Hunting for a DAC is finally over (now starts the hunt for a case :mad:), it sounds awesome, way better than Allo Boss or Teac P90, clear and clean and no distorsion even on budget headphones and no hiss at volmax. If I only had a chassis, I would have purchased 2 or 3 one for each room. Nevertheless I had some issues while running under Win7 (x64) and Foobar. It starts playing but it stops after a few minutes if I work with the notebook, lesser evil as it is not supposed to run with my PC. I will try with a Raspberry under Volumio and if ok ..... this is it!!!!!

Nango

Major Contributor
Khadas Tone Board is only one model from Khadas Family, and we suggest user could buy Khadas Tone Board along with the Khadas VIMs for SPDIF in/out can enjoy high resolution audio and 4K video together. That we need to consider the compabilty of Khadas Tone Board and Khadas VIM Boards. Through Khadas Docs, you could get the user manual along with the below details:
Other docs can be check on our Docs.khadas.com​

Khadas Tone Board Specifications
Khadas Tone Board 2D Drawing (DXF format)

..... are no longer available for download? .....anyone has the *.dxf file for me pls? Thx.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Nango

Major Contributor
No problems with the Raspberry/Volumio under USB, it plays fine and crispy but I think I like it better when fed by coax/Digione.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I have just received and connected this nicely built small board. Incredible... It is not only the measures result, it is also the sound it delivers...

I can compare with Dangerous Source, Benchmark DAC 2, the Yamaha CD-S2100 and the internal DAC of the SMSL DP3.

This small board is just better...
Did you just said this board is better than a DAC 2? Coz you might have to take full responsibility for my latest impulse buy :p. I've read that the DAC 2 has no audible/sonic advantage against a DAC 3 except for slightly better specs, so when a $100 DAC compares favorably against these uber DACs it's really hard to resist the temptation :).

helloworld

Did you just said this board is better than a DAC 2? Coz you might have to take full responsibility for my latest impulse buy :p. I've read that the DAC 2 has no audible/sonic advantage against a DAC 3 except for slightly better specs, so when a $100 DAC compares favorably against these uber DACs it's really hard to resist the temptation :).
IMHO any dac that has a thd+n<-100dB probably sound the same. I doubt anyone could hear the difference.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I doubt anyone could hear the difference.
You think so? Even if they are all sound the same, its just $99. If I end up liking it, I can always sell my other less performing, more expensive DACs :).

Grave

You think so? Even if they are all sound the same, its just $99. If I end up liking it, I can always sell my other less performing, more expensive DACs :).

There is no point in spending a lot of money on DAC's IMO. Cheap ones sound amazing. Every DAC I have owned since the ODAC, which has much worse performance than this DAC, has sounded excellent. If TimW comes up with a case, then I might buy this one since it is so cheap.

helloworld

Has anyone tried to use this board with their sbc board vim? If this tone board was connected to the vim through the 40 pin header, the usb c port in this tone board could still connect to your pc which means it could searve as your pc dac but when your pc is turned off it will then work as a network streamer. Khadas staff confirms to me that this board will always take the usbc signal first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom