• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Mine Tone Board came preinstalled with latest 1.04 firmware version. Yesterday I flashed v2.00 firmware and that is first time I am flashing firmware on it and did not noticed any differences in terms of sound.
I see. So where did you buy yours?

With your previous driver, were you able to switch between USB and coaxial input automatically, based on input signals? Other here said they could. Mine could not switch. I had to manually switch sound output device in my laptop from usb to laptop's own speakers before Khadas would output sound from coaxial input. After firmware update, I could switch between inputs fine, without the extra step in my laptop. This indicates I have older firmware than 1.04.

BTW, I got mine from Amazon. It was delivered in 2 days after I ordered. It could be an old stock sitting in Amazon warehouse since 2018....Amazon said available since November 17, 2018.....

Gouwa

Audio Company
Dear Tone1 users,
The Tone2 Pro on the way...

1606123751503.png

More details here.

Stay safe & good day!

Veri

Master Contributor
3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone outputs, that's a surprise! XU216 with MQA support. Good work!
Are you planning on sending a review sample to @amirm? ;)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Good news - I'll be looking out for the review. Will you still be making the schematics available?

pboser

I'm enjoying my two original Toneboards. I understand the Tone 2 isn't in anyone's hands yet -are there any preliminary thoughts about the Soncoz LA-QXD1 vs. Tone2?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks promising, I’m almost tempted to upgrade to the Tone2 from Tone1 but I also just purchased a new ToppingE30. Oh the timing of this announcement.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yep, sure thing :)
Are you able to address the issue I observed regarding auto switch between USB in vs coaxial in? Mine would not auto switch.

Have you heard about such issue before? After updating firmware, I don't have such issue. Could very old firmware cause such issue? Thanks!

Gouwa

Audio Company
Are you able to address the issue I observed regarding auto switch between USB in vs coaxial in? Mine would not auto switch.

Have you heard about such issue before? After updating firmware, I don't have such issue. Could very old firmware cause such issue? Thanks!
The inputs priority of Tone1 below:
1) USB
2) Coaxial SPDIF IN

The USB IN comes with higher priority and will auto switch to Coaxial IN if there there is no song play on USB.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The inputs priority of Tone1 below:
1) USB
2) Coaxial SPDIF IN

The USB IN comes with higher priority and will auto switch to Coaxial IN if there there is no song play on USB.
Yes, I understand that. Previously, when nothing was played via USB, playing via coaxial in would not work. I had to switch my output device from USB to laptop internal speaker before it would play from coaxial in.

After I updated firmware, I could switch to coaxial in when nothing is played via USB in. So I am curious the issue I observed before firmware update was due to very old firmware.

Gouwa

Audio Company
Do you mind specify the versions for each firmware you mentioned? I guess:
* Old firmware: v1.04?
* New firmware: v2.00?

And actually, both v1.04 and v2.00 with same priority of input source.

Previously, when nothing was played via USB, playing via coaxial in would not work. I had to switch my output device from USB to laptop internal speaker before it would play from coaxial in.
Can you help check the fw version?

BTW, the auto switch shouldn't be better for your appliaction?

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Do you mind specify the versions for each firmware you mentioned? I guess:
* Old firmware: v1.04?
* New firmware: v2.00?

And actually, both v1.04 and v2.00 with same priority of input source.

Can you help check the fw version?

BTW, the auto switch shouldn't be better for your appliaction?
I didn't check the previous firmware version. Sorry. Is there a way to check after I updated to v2.00?

I am just curious about that old version as I bought mine from Amazon. I wonder if that one is from old batch from late 2018.

Yes, the correct behavior is more desirable. I don't want to go back. : )

I am just curious if you have heard issue I mentioned for older firmware. Thanks!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Good to know the new version firmware improve the user experience!

Actually, The Tone1 didn't with any hardware changes for the each batches.

Have fun!
Yes, indeed the newer firmware version helps. Like I mentioned, if my hardware version is from 2018, it would come with old firmware, right?

Would that old firmware cause the auto switch issue? I am wondering as there might be more old stocks like mine in Amazon. I could leave review message in Amazon to ask new buyers to update firmware for better user experience.

Gouwa

Audio Company
Yep, all the Tone1 on stock still preinstalled with v1.04 firmware.

And I just tested with both v1.04 and v2.00 firmwares here, like what you mentioned:
1) v1.04: Will only switch to Coax IN when setting the output device from Tone Board to other device.
2) v2.00: Auto switch to Coax IN for both cases below:
  • Songs not played
  • Tone1 output device switched

I could leave review message in Amazon to ask new buyers to update firmware for better user experience.
Good idea :)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yep, all the Tone1 on stock still preinstalled with v1.04 firmware.

And I just tested with both v1.04 and v2.00 firmwares here, like what you mentioned:
1) v1.04: Will only switch to Coax IN when setting the output device from Tone Board to other device.
2) v2.00: Auto switch to Coax IN for both cases below:
  • Songs not played
  • Tone1 output device switched

Good idea :)
Thanks for confirming!

I see that your web site listed multiple firmware versions since 2019.

If Amazon USA still have very old hardware, like those made in late 2018 and shipped to Amazon warehouse in late 2018, would those Tone1 from late 2018 comes with firmware older than v1.04?

Thanks!

Top Bottom