• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@willow, can you please tell me if the DAC emits noises or pops on its analog outputs when turned on or off?
I connected it to my Arcam rHead and set the volume to 12:00. There is a tick/pop on power on and power off on my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones.

I measured the levels using Audio Precision and I get this:

1540058441085.png

Turn on is around 2 second mark. Turn off is around 6.

Veri

Master Contributor
After reading the entire thread my conclusion is this is more of a DIY component than a complete product. The turn on and off pop issue bothers me, especially after seeing one owner here become very defensive about it. I would have to say guilty until proven innocent on that one.
All it needs is a case though. Which will come very soon, likely.. pretty unparalleled performance in this price range.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I connected it to my Arcam rHead and set the volume to 12:00. There is a tick/pop on power on and power off on my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones.

I measured the levels using Audio Precision and I get this:

Turn on is around 2 second mark. Turn off is around 6.

Is this mere annoyance or a speaker blowing shotgun blast? Thanks for the goods, Amir.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is this mere annoyance or a speaker blowing shotgun blast? Thanks for the goods, Amir.
I will have to hook it up to my speakers to know for sure. Right now I have to go and paint our new shed!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does the "hump" on the 9038 affect audibility or only measurements?
I don't know yet. Would have to devise a specific test case/tracks that hits in that region and then AB with another DAC that doesn't have that problem.

Zoide

I don't know yet. Would have to devise a specific test case/tracks that hits in that region and then AB with another DAC that doesn't have that problem.
What about purely in terms of dB / percentages? Is any part of that hump past the threshold of what is considered audible?

Silou

Is it possible to connect a little OLED Panel to the Board? If it its possible, what would be outputted to the panel?

Veri

Master Contributor
It took some effort to tease out the same distortion in THD measurements but I finally got there:

View attachment 16369

In normal THD+N vs level it would not show up (or hardly at all). Shows the usefulness of IMD measurements.

As suggested I will write a new article with lots more data and then try to forward that to ESS and see if we get an answer.

Hey amir I was randomly reading this older blog post http://www.itsonlyaudio.com/audio-hardware/wm8741_vs_ess9023/

15201192686_4b5138ebee_z.jpg

Is it me or is that the infamous ESS 'hump', from a ESS9023 chip no less.. (graph chip annotation is wrong, it's the --23 not the --18 chip).

I really wonder what the hell causes this ever returning glitch.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone use the SPDIF connector on this for an output, or is in input only? I realize most of these aren't reconfigurable, but.....

Veri

Master Contributor
I think it can be output if you program it.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Thanks guys. I'll go through the Wesiontek website to see if I can find something on this.

Edit: From their website: "1 RCA for S/PDIF in or out."

Looks like it either makes the determination itself, or can be configured. Sorry I missed this earlier guys.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Edit: From their website: "1 RCA for S/PDIF in or out."
From what I recall, this is only possible if you use their CPU board. The generic version doesn't support both directions.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
That makes sense! Thanks Amir.

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm

Do you know if it would be possible to select USB or USB input via a switch? I would like to use the USB to read files from my SMSL DP 3 et my CD drive from the SPDIF.

Dominique

The USB will only accept a direct USB connection to phone, pc or compatible device. Not something like a hard drive.

Top Bottom