• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Poultrygeist

Still enjoying the little Tone Board

P1010003.jpeg

mc.god

well so it seems it isnt supported. no worries guys thank you
Hi, Tone Board is fully supported in Android via OTG, it's even recognized for direct hardware decoding byassing Android audio subsystem in app like Hiby Music, just tried this to double check (just believe it if you can't undestand italian, sorry)
Screenshot_2023-06-24-16-58-42-28_49b3d7ede8f829c04ca0dbc08dacb1ac.jpg

So I suppose the limit is not in the Tone Board but in the Xiaomi device not supporting OTG, just as Sokel said aerlier.

scruffy1

my android phone supports otg, but it doesn't do music with the khadas

the developer option (on lineage 20 / android 13) is set to default to file transfer for usb, and it works without a hiccup with my stoner acoustics ud130 dac amp

perhaps the otg on the oneplus 5t lacks sufficient voltage to make the khadas active... i'm keen for any possibility to use the oneplus as a source with the khadas, although i expect without external power supply it will be for short sessions only

mc.god

my android phone supports otg, but it doesn't do music with the khadas

the developer option (on lineage 20 / android 13) is set to default to file transfer for usb, and it works without a hiccup with my stoner acoustics ud130 dac amp

perhaps the otg on the oneplus 5t lacks sufficient voltage to make the khadas active... i'm keen for any possibility to use the oneplus as a source with the khadas, although i expect without external power supply it will be for short sessions only
As shown it works flawlessly with my Realme 7 5G stock rom (Realme Ui 3.0 Android 12), I just have to switch on otg in advance from system toggles as it doesn't keeps it on when there is no device connected. I conected it via an old microusb otg cable + microusb to usbc-adapter like this:
1-5-pz-Micro-USB-femmina-a-USB-C-maschio-adattatore-supporto-carica-dati-sincronizzazione-connettore.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

so no spcecial cables used.
Can't imagine why it's not working with your phone since it can work with the ud130.

[EDIT]
I see that udc130 supports both usb audio class types (uac1 and uac2), I think that Tone Board only supports uac2, maybe your android rom lacks uac2 drivers? do the udc130 works with your phone set both to usb 1 and usb2? it's the only reason i can think but I'm not much into this matter.

Last edited:

scruffy1

the ud130 is happy on both usb settings

the 5t i can't comment on for uac drivers, but given the current rom also allows ldac, despite original specs stating
Bluetooth5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD

i would expect that the ongoing firmware upgrades would have added that aspect long ago

maybe i need a different cable, as i don.t have a collection of usb c cables, so maybe that's where the problem lies - it may not be good for data (though i am pretty sure the original cable supplied with the khadas was trialled, although my memory is not always accurate)

mc.god

maybe i need a different cable, as i don.t have a collection of usb c cables, so maybe that's where the problem lies - it may not be good for data (though i am pretty sure the original cable supplied with the khadas was trialled, although my memory is not always accurate)
I double checked with the Tone Board orginal usb-c cable (I have the grey one, i remember they changed it at some pint) and otg is still working with it.

Since ud130 is working even in uac2 mode there's no limitation in the android os drivers, at this point I have no other clues, sorry.

Barrelhouse Solly

Just ordered a Tone 1 from the Khadas site. It was $69 with a $5 shipping charge. They may be closing them out. Projected delivery is 20 to 45 days. Amazon also has them for about the same price with 2 day shipping on Prime. I went with the delay because I paid with PayPal and got a 4 payment no interest deal. This looks like a near ideal dac for a Raspberry Pi if you can get a short cable. A generic case made of acrylic sheets is a well ventilated function over form enclosure. I have the standoffs and one or two acrylic cases lying around.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just ordered a Tone 1 from the Khadas site. It was $69 with a $5 shipping charge. They may be closing them out. Projected delivery is 20 to 45 days. Amazon also has them for about the same price with 2 day shipping on Prime. I went with the delay because I paid with PayPal and got a 4 payment no interest deal. This looks like a near ideal dac for a Raspberry Pi if you can get a short cable. A generic case made of acrylic sheets is a well ventilated function over form enclosure. I have the standoffs and one or two acrylic cases lying around.
I think you will enjoy it, but I'm not sure if it can be used as a HAT on a Raspberry Pi. However, it should work fine as an external USB DAC. That's how I've used mine.

carlmart

Has someone compared, in audio quality, the Khadas Tone Board DAC with the Topping D10?

Where can I get more information on, including price, for those boards you can connect the Khadas to?

Barrelhouse Solly

It can't be used as a hat. While the connection looks similar the pinout is different to the Pi's. It's to match the Khadas SBCs.
I know. The pinout is for a Khadas SBC. I'm going to buy the model without the header and use a cable. It can still go in an open type case with a pi. You just need standoffs that work.

Barrelhouse Solly

Has someone compared, in audio quality, the Khadas Tone Board DAC with the Topping D10?

Where can I get more information on, including price, for those boards you can connect the Khadas to?
I believe both have been reviewed here. I know the Khadas has. The Khadas can be connected to anything with a USB audio output. The model with headers can connect to a single board computer that Khadas makes.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

Both measured here - note the D10 has been replaced by the D10s.
Info at khadas.com for their VIM SBCs as well as schematics and other info for the Tone Board (now known as Tone1)
https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/Tone1/
If you're just after performance the Tone1 is now a bit behind the game, although it probably won't be audible. If you're looking to make something with it the schematics are very useful, and people have successfully written custom XMOS firmware for it. That means you could make use of the FPC expansion headers Khadas intended for accessories but never used - like adding some extra output channels?

carlmart

The D10 is the DAC I use as output for my desktop PC, so I doubt the differences with the D10S would make a difference.
When I asked for differences in audio quality with the Khadas DAC I meant to use as a D10 upgrade, if the Khadas contributed anything to that.
I would continue to feed USB signal and supply from the PC, as I do with the D10, which apparently is possible too.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The D10 is already good enough that a DAC upgrade will probably be inaudible in controlled tests unless there's an audible problem like ground issues (loop, 'USB noise' etc.)

redjr

Both measured here - note the D10 has been replaced by the D10s.
Info at khadas.com for their VIM SBCs as well as schematics and other info for the Tone Board (now known as Tone1)
https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/Tone1/
If you're just after performance the Tone1 is now a bit behind the game, although it probably won't be audible. If you're looking to make something with it the schematics are very useful, and people have successfully written custom XMOS firmware for it. That means you could make use of the FPC expansion headers Khadas intended for accessories but never used - like adding some extra output channels?
I recently undertook a DAC project to make a small standalone streamer. I used the original Tone Board board(the DIY variant) cause I had a Khadas VIM3 SBC. More importantly, I had a very nice 1080P, 5" screen(Khadas branded) I wanted to use for simple roon controls. Back when I was doing some development for a manufacturer, I was able to get the LCD screen in landscape mode - which was a top priority for my project.

I attached the 40-pin GPIO header to the TB and mated it together with the VIM3. I then ran conditioned 5Vs directly to the underside of the VIM3. The TB would then get it's power from the VIM3 as well as I2S data over the GPIO pins. I first had to install the roon-bridge software (very easy). I then configured Chromium on Ubuntu, to run in kiosk mode pointing the URL to my little Dell 3040 SBC where the roon extension manager was installed along with the roon web controller (RWC).

Put it all in a nice little red ITX modded computer case. Still a few minor touching up to do, but it all worked as planned. You can read all about it over on the roon community forum here.

Barrelhouse Solly

Got my board last Friday. I adapted a Pi open case--the kind with 2 acrylic sheets--to fit it. I barely managed to get the holes spaced correctly even using a securely anchored drilling template. It's not easy with hand tools. I had to order a small assortment of M2 spacers. I discovered that the Pi is made for M2.5 spacers. I used another acrylic sheet from a Pi case to attach the board to a Pi4. It's what I like to call an IMD--improvised musical device. It works but it doesn't have the elegance of a purpose built enclosure. I'm getting a 6" USB cable to minimize the king rat of cables.

It's a good DAC for the Pi. The Pi 4 works well with USB because the USB is on its own bus. I can also unplug the Pi and use the board with another device if I want. I've tried it with a music player, my phone, and my tablet. It doesn't measure quite as well as some newer DACs in the sub $100 range but its flaws are below the threshold of audibility so it's in the Plenty Good Enough category.

Top Bottom