• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Weiliang Audio 2019 DC300 DAC

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DAD3 ( not 3X) seems to have the same poor master clock crystal placement. And it seems to be a pretty cheap crystal from what the limited online photos show ?

But I am surprised by your measurements about its power noise though. The power transformers seem nicely separated from the the rest of the board from the picts I can find. I wonder if better (EMI/EMF) shielding might have helped though ?

I'm sure this is the product. I always feel that his ground loop is very casual. The layout is also bad

TB2pxywXBUSMeJjy1zkXXaWmpXa_!!34582996.jpg

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Yes, that's the DAD3 I was referring to.

The DAC layout seems poor though the power separation at one glance seems fine. ( From someone who isn't electronics trained though .. :p)

eliash

Some here on this listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finished-Hiend-Remote-Dual-ES9038PRO-HIFI-DAC-with-OLED-display-LME49710-opamp/123890802498?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1cd8779f42:g:uOcAAOSwvLJdZ81z&enc=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&checksum=1238908024988e6200ec55764e288991cc985c9ac55f&enc=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&checksum=1238908024988e6200ec55764e288991cc985c9ac55f

Perhaps someone can comment on the placement of the 100MHz master clock...

Since I own one of these (old, 9018 based) Weiliang board-based DACs I was wondering on clock issues as well. Placing it next to high peak current rectifiers leaves some doubt whether magnetic coupling induces some nice power supply frequency lines into the jitter spectrum. On my 9018 board the designer fortunately sticked more to the ESS layout recommendations. Anyway, I tried to analyse mathematically what may happen if a clock jitters for a better practical understanding...

Uli

My first post here is not a happy one: I bought a similar das from Breeze/Weiliang (ES9028pro) It arrived today - the remote is broken and upon listening I'm thinking: "Well that sounds a little underwhelming" to be polite. Boy am I happy I picked on of those that really sucks. Just to confirm your collective findings. And I will get a tattoo in bold capital letters on my butt saying "NEVER EVER BUY A DAC AGAIN ON THE BASIS OF PARTS USED!"

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I ultimately went with the Topping DX7 Pro for my new desktop DAC... very nice in casework, display, and most importantly implementation of this chip.

I went with the DX7s via (MassDrop) a few months ago. A bit of weight, nice looking, and all of the features I want, plus, a remote control is available fo it if I want one. It has a headphone amp which I don't use, but I am not aware of a good DAC with a volume control that does not include a HA.

Weiliang (also sold as "Breeze Audio") has good "appearance" designers, and their products and ad copy are seductive - but I have seen far too many valid criticisms of their products around audio corners the internet to even consider any of their products.

I almost lost faith in Topping the past week or so, but careful troubleshooting found the problem was not my DX7s DAC. After losing two of the "cheapo" Topping PA3 mini-amps to early failure in the past year, my main system with the "mid-range" Topping DAC started making loud static noises, and one or both channels frequently dropped in volume or cut out completely. When I did a power off/on with the DX7s, the proper sound returned for a bit.

However, I was suspicious that it might be cables or connections between my Intel NUC PC and the DX7s, or between the DX7s and my big old Classé 70 amplifier - which was not as likely since I use XLR cables from a Pro-audio source - so I swapped out the USB cable which is connected to the back of the NUC, and re-routed the extension cable for the little Logitech USB Unifying Receiver. That cable now connects my remote keyboard to a front USB port rather than a rear port that is directly over the USB port that I use for digital audio transfer. Everything has been working fine since.

In spite of the excellent reputation of Logitech (I've owned many of their products over the years - keyboards, mice, track-balls, Squeezeboxes) their "Unifying Receivers" seem to be sensitive to their environment and location in computer systems. A couple of years ago I was struggling to get the Logitech receiver/keyboard to even work at all. Fortunately, I stumbled across a solution via Google suggesting that the Logitech receivers don't work well when plugged directly into a NUC USB port, but work fine with a short USB extension cable. Now I must conclude that even when using a USB extension cable, which particular ports one uses for various devices can be an issue.

For those of you without a technical background and/or electronics troubleshooting experience, try playing with cables and connections when you have problems, and you will sometimes be able to fix issues related to connections between components that are from different companies. Whether a cable - expecially a digital cable - is a cheap stock one or an audiophile gold-plated piece of bling, they sometimes seem to cause weird problems. Which is why I keep a little bin of old cables - and even a spare $100 DAC - around for troubleshooting. When you don't have a bench full of electronic test gear and the knowledge to use that gear, powering off/on, checking cables, and component substitution will help you isolate, and possibly fix, your problem.

jcadduono

In spite of the excellent reputation of Logitech (I've owned many of their products over the years - keyboards, mice, track-balls, Squeezeboxes) their "Unifying Receivers" seem to be sensitive to their environment and location in computer systems. A couple of years ago I was struggling to get the Logitech receiver/keyboard to even work at all. Fortunately, I stumbled across a solution via Google suggesting that the Logitech receivers don't work well when plugged directly into a NUC USB port, but work fine with a short USB extension cable. Now I must conclude that even when using a USB extension cable, which particular ports one uses for various devices can be an issue.
It was fairly common like 5-8 years ago for USB 3.0 controllers, USB 3.0 signals running through cables, and USB 3.0 devices to cause a bunch of close proximity interference on 2.4 GHz band that resulted in disconnections from Bluetooth and WiFi adapters. I think much of it has been cleaned up on newer components, but you might still run into the issue.
Even my wireless router gives a warning that when USB 3.0 devices are being used or plugged in, WiFi range will be reduced, and gives the option to run them in USB 2.0 mode, lol.

That being said, some devices are much more picky or bad at filtering 2.4ghz interference. I had a device using an Amanero combo384 USB to IIS board, and it was extremely picky about what cables it used. Anything with less than 2 layers of shielding that didn't make good contact with the connectors caused issues with the Amanero disconnecting. (Audio-gd NFB-28.38 before I joined this forum, haha)
It was an excellent product for testing USB cables :D

Last edited:

Karnaval

Unfortunately I bought this DAC in summer 2019. This is not bad sounding DAC at all, at least to me, but quite audiable noise coming through very sensitive triode tube amp and 96db speakers. I probably spent months to detect source of this noise. Finally discovered that OLED display creates it. Noise is completely gone and systems is deadquiet when I disconnect OLED display from the board, DAC really sounds fantastic. I still don't know where is the problem in the display, was tryng to shield PIC with EMI absorber etc, nothing helps. Now friend who is lot more knowledgeable than me promised to look at, he think's that it might be a capacitors' issue. I am just curious if the measurement can be repeated with display disconnected, what would be the outcome?

ewfather

I also have owned the DC300 for 2019 version. I also performed the same tests with SYS-2722 equipment and undoubtedly the measurements are almost same as Wolfx-700 performed.
(My DC300 has 4EA OPA627BP and 2EA MUSES03, @Karnaval without display panel, the measurements are same,too.)
However, despite the poor measurements, the sound quality I actually heard is surprisingly good for the price.
I fully agree with Karnaval's opinion.
So I still recommend this DAC(and Weiliang told that they already made DC-300 to be new 2020 version damn it!).
Anyway, I think this board could be improved enough, and I am going to start working on it for this.
If there are any good news about improvements, I would like to share all information here.

Last edited:

Matheus1993

hello, I'm matheus and I speak from Brazil. i have a dc-300 my version is the 6 op-amp muse 03 and i also noticed this noise mainly by the headphone output. I recently made the modification with 2 op-amp discrete newclass special edition and 4 op-amp muse 03. even so the noise persisted. I have now replaced your oscillator with the crystek cchd-950x-25. although it made the sound even more incredible, the noise still persists. I noticed that he has heat dissipation problems, I am making a change in the dissipation, right after I come to give you news. sorry for my bad English. but the sound of this dac is a bargain, with the modifications it is fantastic
E7D638DA-2917-4525-86B6-9E31F5A24131.jpeg
98F206BA-BF47-43B4-9B67-5AF61B6452D3.jpeg

Veri

Master Contributor
hello, I'm matheus and I speak from Brazil. i have a dc-300 my version is the 6 op-amp muse 03 and i also noticed this noise mainly by the headphone output. I recently made the modification with 2 op-amp discrete newclass special edition and 4 op-amp muse 03. even so the noise persisted. I have now replaced your oscillator with the crystek cchd-950x-25. although it made the sound even more incredible, the noise still persists. I noticed that he has heat dissipation problems, I am making a change in the dissipation, right after I come to give you news. sorry for my bad English. but the sound of this dac is a bargain, with the modifications it is fantastic

So the DAC sounds good but there is a noise/heat problem? Sounds annoying to me... :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
So the DAC sounds good but there is a noise/heat problem? Sounds annoying to me... :)

Maybe its class A topology, my own 9038Pro DAC from China (not from Weiliang / Breeze Audio) also runs pretty warm and the manufacturer confirmed that its Class A.

As for the noise part, maybe the guys can try some shielding on the transformers and maybe the LED panel. And maybe the internal wiring.

Top Bottom