• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, I hate to bring up Heaven's Gate to you, Thomas...

(At least some of them castrated themselves, if memory serves.)
Well guys , the commitment shown by these ' heaven's gate ' folks certainly puts you lot to shame..

More donations please, you can keep your tackle.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We can't be a cult , if we were a cult I would expect to be having way more sex.

You're having plenty, problem is that you're not having plenty with other humans.

sweetsounds

Amir tested like 150, 200 DACs or devices here, and still doesn't know how to properly set up a bandwidth to do a proper frequency measurement.
That's amateur level mistake.
Defend him as much as you wish since this is cult-like atmosphere anyway.

Agreed, he overlooked his low sample frequency and measured artefacts and didn't question his method.
Page 1 of this thread should be changed.

But I don't see any flaws in the latest 2 graphs with 2MHz of sampling, proper grounding, and 10.05kHz.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
VIncent writes that you tested an old model of the remote control.

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...elite-et-dac/dac-totaldac-t29963819-6120.html
He means this?

1564950733397.png

If so, it is another cheap commodity TV remote. "CHannel" up down anyone? Number 8 to change reclocker??? For a $13,000 device, he could not get a few custom labeled buttons?

diegooo1972

Amir tested like 150, 200 DACs or devices here, and still doesn't know how to properly set up a bandwidth to do a proper frequency measurement.
That's amateur level mistake.
Defend him as much as you wish since this is cult-like atmosphere anyway.

Cults ?
High end audio followers buy artifacts basing their decisions only on reviewers emotions and collusions.
Everybody know the business of "reviews brushing"
But fanatics followers don' t even think and defend this crazy world of snakeoilers.
Basing decisions on emotional and collusional reiviewers without any kind of critical thinking.
And this trendy science declassification honetsly is very stupid.
Usefull only to snakeoilers.
This is a better definition of cult and cultist.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He means this?

View attachment 30712

If so, it is another cheap commodity TV remote. "CHannel" up down anyone? Number 8 to change reclocker??? For a $13,000 device, he could not get a few custom labeled buttons?
That's a slap in the face to his customers. It might be different if the device had controls on the front panel, but you have to use a remote to even operate this DAC, yes?

And to think, people complain about getting a 'credit card'-size remote or other cheapo with a $200 item lol.

At least this Sony remote has a charming je ne sais quoi:
Sony remote control a.jpg

Here is a link if anyone is interested. Audiophiles* please note that Amazon has 'expert setup' available for this remote. ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-RM-KZ1-...e+control&qid=1564951930&s=electronics&sr=1-7

*I don't really worry about or bother classifying audiophiles into subjectivist or objectivist camps, nor do I care if some really do prefer gear to the music, this is a lame joke regarding tweakers of all persuasions who will needlessly complicate the simplest of devices and setups, and mainly getting a laugh out of Amazon trying to push "expert setup" on every conceivable item, however ridiculous.

Last edited:

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Perhaps the measurements should be re-done with the 1.750€ USB cable with the black box:

Totaldac_USB_GIGAfilter.jpg

"once in the system, the absence creates an instant hankering of plugging it back..."
"... better timbre ... more controlle
d bass ... better soundstage ... In a word GIGA-effective"

source: http://www.totaldac.com/USB_gigafilter-eng.htm

If one needed an illustration for "snakeoil"...
1600 Euros and it's yours

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We can't be a cult , if we were a cult I would expect to be having way more sex.
There was a time I'd ask exactly which members you were getting less sex from than desired, but I've learnt not to ask questions I don't want the answer to.

Nikke

I have not read the forum rules but would suggest to leave out politics, sex, and religion. Unless all three apply at once that is.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Man!You made my day!!!! So they sell these by the 55 Gallons drum!! ...Perhaps the Playboy Mansion and similar are regular customers...

I hope you read the questions and reviews. This was a classic in the same vein as the Three Wolf Moon t-shirt.

Things like that make the Internet worth it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you read the questions and reviews. This was a classic in the same vein as the Three Wolf Moon t-shirt.

Things like that make the Internet worth it.
Thanks ... The reviews are even better!!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He means this?

View attachment 30712

I read where you said they had adapted a cheap universal TV remote. I didn't pay enough attention. I assumed they relabeled it sensibly. This is something laughable for a $99 DAC. For a $13k DAC? Of all the things about the TotalDAC this is the most egregious. Should be the TotalQuack. OTOH, I wonder how a $1000 custom remote would sale to owners of this bit of gear? I'd think anyone would buy one. What a bunch of garbage. I guess the good news is you could go get a replacement at the local Dollar General for about $10.

And this is your only interface with this expensive piece of gear. Yuck!

I looked at some of the other reviews in various places. One said of the remote:
An ergonomic, easy-to-use remote control is included at Audiostream.
One had a blurry picture of it.
An individual review on head-fi did note they were dissappointed in the cheap remote.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I read where you said they had adapted a cheap universal TV remote. I didn't pay enough attention. I assumed they relabeled it sensibly. This is something laughable for a $99 DAC. For a $13k DAC? Of all the things about the TotalDAC this is the most egregious. Should be the TotalQuack. OTOH, I wonder how a $1000 custom remote would sale to owners of this bit of gear? I'd think anyone would buy one. What a bunch of garbage. I guess the good news is you could go get a replacement at the local Dollar General for about $10.

I looked at some of the other reviews in various places. One said of the remote:
An individual review on head-fi did note they were dissappointed in the cheap remote.

A different French company with prices similar to the TotalDAC provides this as their remote:

IMG_0501-e1531909948983.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's a slap in the face to his customers. It might be different if the device had controls on the front panel, but you have to use a remote to even operate this DAC, yes?
That's true. There are no controls on the unit.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A different French company with prices similar to the TotalDAC provides this as their remote:

IMG_0501-e1531909948983.jpg
Devialet's prices are lower than Totaldac's, by a lot! I paid around $4K for my Devialet, which includes a very high performing DAC and extremely quiet (if not high-powered) speaker amplifier.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm rather surprised they didn't all say that it was a necessary concession to keep the price below $20k. :D Isn't that the manner of excusing such things in the 'high end'? lol

Yet, when discussing a 'reasonably-priced' item, of say $1k or $2k, they twist themselves in knots to find some way of 'degrading'/'devaluing' the performance or construction, lest anyone think it's as good as the latest $20k-$150k item they reviewed.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Devialet's prices are lower than Totaldac's, by a lot! I paid around $4K for my Devialet, which includes a very high performing DAC and extremely quiet (if not high-powered) speaker amplifier.

It depends which model you get.

I think the retail price on Expert Pro Dual 400/440 is like $20k; I got mine used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom