• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Indeed, if sticking $10,000 bills to my DAC makes it sound better, I'll continue to do it. :p

Yeah, I think just set it on top of a stack of $10,000 in cash. That would make me smile every time I glanced that way.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:p The new DAC, which I was trying to source out from the second-hand market, is not to replace my Topping DX7s of which I am happy and do not have any plan to replace ... In fact I did not say the 8K DAC was going to replace it ...

@Thomas savage ... Just a bit out of topic ...
We're setting up in my company a lounge room where we receive our customers, of whom many are from China. They love the French' design and technology, so we make them happy on that by filling the lounge with French items, from champagne to beer via Focal speakers & Devialet electronics ...
That's the reason for which I was (and still) looking for a French made D/A converter, with a background of reputation and technical content consistent with the rest of the lounge set up. But I have a budget to meet, in the low end as we cannot display a cheapy item with a fancy French name and a black Made in China back label, as well as in the high end.
@FredYves Pls. PM me with any suggestion, it would be highly appreciated !
If this DAC is going into a Devialet then it's pointless as it already has a great DAC implementation, and any analogue input goes through an ADC. If the only requirement is expensive bling then buy with your eyes. Are there no shiny French turntables for more visual interest?

invaderzim

It is really sad how many people are fooled in the audio world. I have been to this years biggest audio show in Munich, the "High-End". Atleast 50% of the shown stuff were special cables and other questionable stuff. The people there actually loved it :D
View attachment 30072

That display looks like something a future civilization found and can't figure out what it was supposed to do.

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
Come on TotalDac, you guys don't even have up to date security certificates on your website? Like for real you ask for 13K euros for a DAC, which measures horribly and your website itself is flagged by browsers for not having up-to-date certificates?

total_dac.png

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Patatorz

You are very bad in translation sorry.
Let’s try to do better :

1/ Those who criticize the listening sessions comments while they hear nothing : I don’t care
2/ Those who criticize and emphasize strongly some measurements without having the basics in digital signals and measurement methods : I also don’t care
3/ Those who listen, hear something, like to speak about it : I really care whatever they have or not a technical background
4/ Those who are strong in measurements and digital signal and agree on the fact they don’t listen, but who don’t give any lesson on pre-supposed conclusions of the listening session, I also care, for discussion 100% technical in this case.

I’m suspicious on point 3/ as there was some wording not really nice from totaldac on the same board (hcfr) where a person sold his Totaldac Twelve for another DAC.

5/ my customers : I care above 10k€ :)

I think that the translation is 99,9% accurate and should be in the error range :) (except 5/ that was there only for the sake of the joke).

Last edited:

Patatorz

I got to their website without any problem. No resellers in Europe and the Americas but three in the Far East-where much of the money is,
status means everything and €13.000 do not hurt...
Direct sale in Europe. Including the marvelous d150 trumpets. It seems that their new hybrid amp is tremendous. Perhaps they Would stop selling the Absolare amp now.
You can also tried the improved power supplies in the very well known standardized high end design (http://www.totaldac.com/live-power-en.htm)

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Come on....it has nothing to do with the topic

It has indeed, as a company (sorry man ... one-man company to be more precise) which sells high-tech electronics (or presumably do that ...) it has to have everything in order as far as its website is concerned ...

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
This is what he wrote in French:
Autant laisser un peu de mystère sur les NOS, les mesures, la sensibilité d'écoute, surtout que je suis loin de tout savoir évidement sur ces sujets. Ils ne sont pas simples c'est tout, et je n'ai pas envie non plus de dévoiler les recette de mes DACs. Le mystère fait parler aussi.
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...aldac-t29963819-5520.html#g2mHqowkb25Jzd2U.99

stringerbell

I recommend these two links . They are based on a paper from Cees from Metrum Acoustics , specialized in R2R dacs
http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/metrum/2.html
http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/metrum/3.html

He acknowledges that nos dacs perform poorly at conventional tests and give a few clues , on how to measure them , or more correctly he is attempting to explain why it is tricker to assess their performances , and also why they appeal to some people. I guess it is also valid for totaldac dacs

Top Bottom