• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping TP60 and FX Audio FX502SPro Amps

Keltere

Is this amir's first speaker amp review? It would be nice to establish some kind of base with a modern, but more traditional home HiFi amp like the
Denon PMA 720 AE or some mainstream AV receiver. Speaking of which, the DAC performance of modern AV receivers would be interesting too.

I tried that one and it was really bad. ****** input channel separation, no pre-out mute when jack inserted. background noise and a lot of warmth maybe caused by a high internal resistance.

JustIntonation

For future amps perhaps phase (which can be quite different from the frequency response for amps I believe) and output impedance may be good to measure as well?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I looked up the silicon spec in those amps and unfortunately it is in the same bucket as the ones tested here.
O well, I guess they don't make anything good for speakers.
I'm glad you reviewed this because I was thinking about purchasing one of these for speakers for my office!

I'll wait for you to discover the budget gem!

vert

Forum Donor
Oh, not good. I happen to have the FXAudio. I use it as a TV setup with a DAC and a sub over high level outputs. I still prefer it over a class A/B amp it replaced (including in terms of convenience), and much prefer that setup to the AV receiver frankenstein I had briefly. I have been wowed by the sound sometimes, not always. Based on some reviews of it, I expected a little better maybe? Given the small cost, it's still ok. Though I'm surprised FXAudio and Topping aren't able to do better in terms of those bare-bones class D units, given their track records with other devices (FXAudio's 802 FDA and Topping's DACs).

Anyhow, that setup was going to be used to power a Stax energizer, and be replaced for TV duties, for family members' convenience, by a FDA such as the SMSL AD18. Maybe I should wait until it is tested here now.

star1688

I recently discovered a brand called: Dilvpoetry. He has similar products to FX-Audio. I want to know how?;);)

miero

I guess SINAD with A-weighting would show "better" number.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouls like to see tests of a PA amplifer, an El Cheapo Behringer or such ...

PuX

I'd love to see some measurements of speaker amps made by reputable brands like NAD, Denon, Densen etc. at the very least they should have more power, not sure about everything else.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wouls like to see tests of a PA amplifer, an El Cheapo Behringer or such ...
El cheapo Behringer is exactly what will be coming soon!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd love to see some measurements of speaker amps made by reputable brands like NAD, Denon, Densen etc. at the very least they should have more power, not sure about everything else.
I have an Onkyo amp on loan which I will review soon just the same.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Theo

I bought a nuforce STA-100 amp (class D) sometime ago as a quick replacement for my old amp which was dying, giving me time to find a better one. I was quite surprised by the improvement I got and have not felt the need to upgrade since then. Have I been audiofooled? Could I get better class D today? i.e. would I hear a difference (I'm sure there are better ones). I would be interested in measurements...

Theo

I just found the thread about the STA200, probably not very different. Sorry if I'm being redundant...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never seen a class T amp with good specs. Noise level is always very high, and power very low...

Add to that frequency response non-linear when driving speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just found the thread about the STA200, probably not very different. Sorry if I'm being redundant...
The STA-200 is not class D so it is a different product.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bought a nuforce STA-100 amp (class D) sometime ago as a quick replacement for my old amp which was dying, giving me time to find a better one. I was quite surprised by the improvement I got and have not felt the need to upgrade since then. Have I been audiofooled?
Ah, doesn't look like it measures well even according to their specs:

1541115226739.png

Theo

Sorry about the confusion. As the STA-200 was compared to these, I thought it was the same class... Is it a class A or AB then? As far as performances, .01% is better than .039% you found for the the STA-200 (2nd hrm distorsion from your graph). Would be interesting to know more, I suppose? Anyway, this is an "old" model... So we need to find a class-D amp which measures well. Devialet? (not real class D, I get). Quite more expensive, though.

Top Bottom