• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

MrC

Also, it is possible that it is not charged, although it should still work fine on partial charge (the LED on the front will turn red when it need charging). The LED should.be blue when it is on.

cineaste

There is no blue light, I will try again after it gets fully charged but I plan on getting another micro usb cable anyway (I probably need two if I plan on charging and listening at the same time). I tried to charge it with a usb c to mini usb cable from my powerbank and it didn't work, only usb to micro usb is working it seems.

buggyglint

If the LED is red that means it needs to be charged/is charging. You need sufficient juice before it will turn on with the blue LED. Let it charge for a few hours from the 'Charge' micro usb port and then connect the other micro usb port 'DAC' to your PC/MAC, while leaving the 'Charge' port connected. I've had mine simultaneously charging and connected to my PC for a week now with no issues.

It's a good little DAC, I'm using it with M50's and HD650's but I'm thinking if buying the DX7s and running it in balanced mode for my 650's. I think even with the high gain and bass boost on the NX4, my HD650's sound a bit too flat.

Last edited:

MrC

If the LED is red that means it needs to be charged/is charging.

The LED on the front, at least on mine, only goes red to show that it needs charging, not while it is charging. However, the LED on the back, at the side of the charge port, does go red to show charging and then to green once charged.

cineaste

I had stupidly turned on the volume knob therefore the device was on while charging and it could not be properly charged! Everything is fixed now and it sounds great (indeed a bit flat like some other members mentioned), but it is a really great portable device!

Azeendeen

If the LED is red that means it needs to be charged/is charging. You need sufficient juice before it will turn on with the blue LED. Let it charge for a few hours from the 'Charge' micro usb port and then connect the other micro usb port 'DAC' to your PC/MAC, while leaving the 'Charge' port connected. I've had mine simultaneously charging and connected to my PC for a week now with no issues.

It's a good little DAC, I'm using it with M50's and HD650's but I'm thinking if buying the DX7s and running it in balanced mode for my 650's. I think even with the high gain and bass boost on the NX4, my HD650's sound a bit too flat.
Yeh your gonna need something stronger for the HD 650, their 300 ohms and I don't think the NX4 has enough power to do them justice. But it's still a damn good dac/amp.

MrC

I had stupidly turned on the volume knob therefore the device was on while charging and it could not be properly charged! Everything is fixed now and it sounds great (indeed a bit flat like some other members mentioned), but it is a really great portable device!

I am glad it now works for you.

A simple "thank you" in our PM conversation wouldn't have been out of place, but I guess not everyone expresses gratitude when people try to help them. Edit: forget this winging as I have been proven to judge too quickly once again :)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I am glad it now works for you.

A simple "thank you" in our PM conversation wouldn't have been out of place, but I guess not everyone expresses gratitude when people try to help them.
Thanks for helping out forum member(s) ;)

MrC

Thanks for helping out forum member(s) ;)

LOL!! Thanks, I feel better now... :D

(I am always happy to help, not that I am usually of much help, but when you spend time putting together step by step instructions and putting together photos with arrows and numbers at midnight, you would have at least thought a "Hey, it works now, thanks" would be appropriate. I am guess I am just a bitter old fart, NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!)

buggyglint

Oh I did the same when I first received it. Glad you got it sorted!

buggyglint

Yeh your gonna need something stronger for the HD 650, their 300 ohms and I don't think the NX4 has enough power to do them justice. But it's still a damn good dac/amp.

Yes, I think you're right! I will be ordering a DX7s for desktop use and a pair of balanced cables. Apparently the DX7s can output up to 600ohms using the balanced XLR headphone out.

I'll keep the NX4 for the portability and overall its the best portable DAC/Headphone amp in this price range, by far.

vkarade

Sorry, I'm asking different question here.

I have LG G6 (this got Sabre ES9218P DAC), and planning to buy NX4 DSD, My question is, is it a worthy upgrade over G6? if not then please suggest good portable DAC-amp

gokica

Hello. Does NX4 work without battery? What happens when the battery wears off? Is it going to be a brick or I can still connect USB cable and expect it to work?

Azeendeen

Hello. Does NX4 work without battery? What happens when the battery wears off? Is it going to be a brick or I can still connect USB cable and expect it to work?
I'm probably not the best person to be responding to this but I think you can still use it but you would need to have it connected 24/7 to a charger. My super old laptop does that .

gokica

From reading on the net I got the impression that there is no battery bypass. The input power is charging the battery but not going into the board circuit.

Why do I need the device connected 24/7? What would happen if I disconnect and connect again?

I would really like to buy this device but this uncertainly is making me hesitant. If there is a battery on sale that is user replaceable, all will be well. But I can not find such battery available anywhere.

MrC

Why do I need the device connected 24/7? What would happen if I disconnect and connect again?

I believe that @Azeendeen is referring to the fact that you would need to have it plugged in all the time while in use (if the battery was dead) but you could certainly unplug it while not in use.

I understand your worry with the battery which may (probably) die at some point in the future, but putting it into perspective, it is much cheaper than other items with batteries (such as a cell phone for example) that are still purchased even though they have a certain life expectancy.

I am pretty sure you would be able to find a battery that works if you ever needed to replace it.

mgmate

I believe that @Azeendeen is referring to the fact that you would need to have it plugged in all the time while in use (if the battery was dead) but you could certainly unplug it while not in use.

I understand your worry with the battery which may (probably) die at some point in the future, but putting it into perspective, it is much cheaper than other items with batteries (such as a cell phone for example) that are still purchased even though they have a certain life expectancy.

I am pretty sure you would be able to find a battery that works if you ever needed to replace it.

Hi, MrC,

This is completely true, moreover if we consider how fast this technology is moving forward.

Anyway it would be good to know if someone knows which battery is used in NX4 DSD to be eventually replaced.

Regards,

Manuel.

pallas

Based on this review here I have bought the NX4 about 2 weeks ago.
I'm really pleased with the audio quality, had the Dragonfly Red before and I'd say the NX4 is quite a step above.

As for a dead battery - I'm pretty sure the NX4 will run if plugged into a USB power source also if the battery has died one day.
As do like 95% of all mobile devices using a rechargeable battery, e.g. cell phones, GPS devices, iPads, laptops...
Sure it won't be very portable anymore in this case.
On the other hand I'm quite optimistic that it should be possible to find a suitable replacement battery.

Something else - how have you tied the NX4 to your phone, or your DAP as a (semi) portable combo?
I use the semi-ruggedised Samsung Xcover 4 with the USB Audio Player Pro app as DAP.
This phone has a structured backside, so the velcro pads don't stick well. And I'm not a fan of rubber bands running over the screen.
Any brilliant idea? ;)

MrC

Something else - how have you tied the NX4 to your phone, or your DAP as a (semi) portable combo?
I use the semi-ruggedised Samsung Xcover 4 with the USB Audio Player Pro app as DAP.
This phone has a structured backside, so the velcro pads don't stick well. And I'm not a fan of rubber bands running over the screen.
Any brilliant idea? ;)

I can say that using a magnet is a bad idea, as mentioned earlier in the thread ;)

Maybe use blutack like Zeos?

pallas

I can say that using a magnet is a bad idea, as mentioned earlier in the thread ;)

Maybe use blutack like Zeos?

Haven't read about the magnets, but that's not something I was thinking of. Still good to know that it would be a bad idea...

Bluetack might work on my phone, but then again we have all these high-tech and nicely designed devices and then stick them together with Bluetack... :oops:

Last edited:
Top Bottom