• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

ParticularFix

Is there any hint that there will ever be a USB-C update to the NX4 DSD? I am trying to decide whether to get something else that has USB-C or wait for a Topping product.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Is there any hint that there will ever be a USB-C update to the NX4 DSD? I am trying to decide whether to get something else that has USB-C or wait for a Topping product.

IIRC, there is a micro-usb to usb-c cable included with this unit. Besides, adapters are easy to come by.

Or, did you have some concerns other than mechanical issues?

ParticularFix

IIRC, there is a micro-usb to usb-c cable included with this unit. Besides, adapters are easy to come by.

The mechanical issues are the main concern for me. I have had a few too many micro-USB devices fail.

ParticularFix

I had the NX4 DSD already and really loved it, but I gave it to a friend and that decision was made easier because of the micro-USB port.

Samudra1825

is this tested while charging or do you charge AND THEN measure it? great review nonetheless, much appreciated!

Samudra1825

This may sound stupid but for using this as DAC and AMP, should I input this using usb or the line in jack?

Jazmanaut

Audio Company
Im pretty sure that they had HD600 in mind, when they designed that bass boost. It does wonder with those cans!

Tortie

Forum Donor
Hi, a proud owner of this wonderful DAC/AMP combo. Very powerful output, can drive my Sony Z7 at ease with high gain @ 50% vol, and also those power hungry planar. I notice no one posted internal pics of this beast (unless i missed it). So here it is (anyone want components name or hi-res pic, you can PM me). My unit has a flat head screws, I actually had a earlier unit with pentalob? screw, a bitch to open it.
View attachment 22107
View attachment 22108
I also replaced stock WIMA caps on my own NX4DSD with something more classic to suit my taste, Nichicon UES caps. Made this beast even better. On iFi counterparts there are only those small SMD caps so I cant tinkering with, a minus for iFi and big plus for Topping :D Anyone with brave steady hands can even replace those tiny Opamp with something else or modded a socket into it for big and easy opamp rolling (SOIC-8 to PDIP-8 socket)

Do you think the battery pack is generic enough that one would have no trouble finding a replacement on eBay or other sites? What type of connector are they using on battery-to-PCB connection?

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you think the battery pack is generic enough that one would have no trouble finding a replacement on eBay or other sites? What type of connector are they using on battery-to-PCB connection?
The battery used in the NX4DSD is generic. Can't remember the connector type but it's a generic one as well. Go back a few pages and you will find that information.

gokica

Hello everyone.

I am loving this device. Just wondering whether it will be possible to remove the battery and connect it to external power supply brick? WIth soldering I suppose.

Thank you.

NexusOne

Is it Single ended better than Ibasso dc03, Shanling ua3 or fiio q3s? I ask because it is very old. Which is a good dongle for over ear headphones? This one?

Top Bottom