• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

Papa253

No it's not
Screenshot_20180730-191346.png

Papa253

Yes and that little gizmo is claim to help with " sensitivity low impedance devices "

I'm trying to see if it will work?

dc655321

Major Contributor
I'm curious about the usage of the NX4 with high sensitivity low impedance devices too. Will you run into the channel imbalance issue that's shown in the measurements taken by amirm?

There's a good possibility of encountering the channel imbalance issue when using sensitive cans/iems with the nx4.
Using my FLC8S iems with them, the channel imbalance ended just into the louder part of my listening range.
See here for a measurement.

One thing that can be done is to turn down the source volume (in your player app), thereby requiring a corresponding increase in the volume of the nx4. This effectively moves the the channel imbalance region out of concern.

Papa253

Why do you think you need that gizmo?

The HD1 is 18Ohm, 113dB/V and the AT is 40Ohm at 103dB/mW.
Keep the NX4 at low gain and be judicious with the volume knob...
Yes 18ohms but I'm new to this and some reviewer suggest that gizmo to control clarity or distortion at modest valume

dc655321

Major Contributor
Yes 18ohms but I'm new to this and some reviewer suggest that gizmo to control clarity or distortion at modest valume

That's fine. My point is that you may probably don't need the gizmo.

For example, lets assume you like to listen at volumes of 90 dB SPL. That's fairly loud
With a sensitivity of 113 dB/V, that volume (90 dB) is a voltage of about 0.07V.

Did you look at the plot, here, or Amir's earlier in this thread?
At 0.07V, that about "volume step 11" in the NX4 plot, somewhere around 11 o'clock on the volume dial, IIRC.

Let me ask some questions:
1) what do you listen to those headphones with now? your phone, etc?
2) what do you hope to gain by using an NX4 DSD in particular?

Papa253

That's fine. My point is that you may probably don't need the gizmo.

For example, lets assume you like to listen at volumes of 90 dB SPL. That's fairly loud
With a sensitivity of 113 dB/V, that volume (90 dB) is a voltage of about 0.07V.

Did you look at the plot, here, or Amir's earlier in this thread?
At 0.07V, that about "volume step 11" in the NX4 plot, somewhere around 11 o'clock on the volume dial, IIRC.

Let me ask some questions:
1) what do you listen to those headphones with now? your phone, etc?
2) what do you hope to gain by using an NX4 DSD in particular?[/QUO

Samsung not 8 and onkyo nx4 676
My goal is better to drastically improve audio quality and clarity and a volume.

And I want seamless integration between android note 8, samsung s2 tablet and MacBook pro 2013 mid, with onkyo nx676. I also am looking at maybe the HD600 down the road.

dc655321

Major Contributor

IMO, if you want "drastic" improvements in sound quality, get the best headphones you can afford (after auditioning).
That will have a far greater effect than changing dac/amps.

I can't really comment on "seamless integration", except to offer anecdotal evidence that my NX4 works on my iMac, my linux laptop, and even with an old Nexus 5 I have a home.

Papa253

Ok i do get it.

My next headphones are the ATH- AD2000 X, then HD600's or HD660.

a
Any additional recommendations would be helpful.

Thx

Papa253

O forgot about my vintage SONY STR 6800 ST. I'm looking to get it fully restored.

HerbDetective

One thing that can be done is to turn down the source volume (in your player app), thereby requiring a corresponding increase in the volume of the nx4. This effectively moves the the channel imbalance region out of concern.
Does the DAC portion of the NX4 DSD allow you to control the output volume from Windows? For your measurements, Windows/Mac volume was 100%?

Thank you for the measurements and graphs for the NX4 DSD on low gain!

Based on this graph, it seems like there's a consistent 1-2dB of volume difference between the left and right channels except at the louder region for the FLC8S. Is this perceptible and does it affect your listening experience? Do you regret buying the NX4 DSD? Would you still recommend it to others as a DAC/Amp combo?

dc655321

Major Contributor
Does the DAC portion of the NX4 DSD allow you to control the output volume from Windows? For your measurements, Windows/Mac volume was 100%?

I have not used the NX4 with Windows, so don't know about volume control. I somehow doubt it.
Yes, for my measurements the host volume (linux) was 100%.

Based on this graph, it seems like there's a consistent 1-2dB of volume difference between the left and right channels except at the louder region for the FLC8S. Is this perceptible and does it affect your listening experience? Do you regret buying the NX4 DSD? Would you still recommend it to others as a DAC/Amp combo?

The channel imbalance at very low volumes is audible (obviously so). As I said previously, it's easy to rectify by moving the host's volume control down from 100%. As I use the NX4 almost exclusively with my HD-6xx headphones, the imbalance does not enter into the listening experience.

I do not regret purchasing the unit at all. It performs great for my needs.

HerbDetective

The channel imbalance at very low volumes is audible (obviously so). As I said previously, it's easy to rectify by moving the host's volume control down from 100%. As I use the NX4 almost exclusively with my HD-6xx headphones, the imbalance does not enter into the listening experience.

I do not regret purchasing the unit at all. It performs great for my needs.
I guess I'll need to find out if the NX4 supports windows volume control. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Papa253

I've decided to go with the fiio Q5 and the AM2 module.

I think it's a better fit.

Top Bottom