• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any different revisions of the NX4, and if so where can I get the latest version? Apos Audio? Or if there is no revisions then does Amazon have a similar 2 year warranty as Apos Audio?

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any different revisions of the NX4, and if so where can I get the latest version? Apos Audio? Or if there is no revisions then does Amazon have a similar 2 year warranty as Apos Audio?
There's no known big revision of NX4. So whether its apos, amazon or some other, it should be the newest version. No worries. Apos has the best service and 1year extra warranty though.

Asylum Seeker

First came the NX4. Then came the NX4 DSD.

Asylum Seeker

Any disadvantages, besides no gain and volume control, to listening out of line-out with 250 Ohm cans? Volume is just right...

runner74

Hello, first time poster here.

I recently realized music sounded "better" through my tv (less fatiguing at matched higher volume, and more engaging - probably better bass), and with headphones (MDR-1AM2) which I didn't "get" before, or like. This made me super motivated to get a proper amp, maybe I am mislead somehow - but it felt like music was heaps more fun to listen to (and of a genre I should like but dont really enjoy anymore) and in general, that I may have been missing something before.

My daily driver is a pair of MDR-F1 and they are said to benefit from a proper pre amp (I believe they have some kind of special circuitry so the impedance is misleading? Quite esoteric headphones, maybe someone here is familiar with them who knows..), but otherwise they are 12 Ohm and the 1AM2s are 16 Ohm, and my last pair are DT-770 80 Ohms.

Because of my headphones being low impedance I had half kinda shrugged it off as well as it being hard to know what is what in these matters (and I am not knowledgeable or experienced) as with the MDR-F1s which otherwise was a reason to get into it, but not knowing what to commit to I just dabbled and got a Hifime Sabre USB DAC which I dont feel made much difference to the onboard.

And basically I liked whatever the tv is (there is a background hiss etc., but what the music sounded like). My initial reaction was - I just need proper power of some kind.

Because of price (ie "just power of some kind") +occasional mobile use, +it being handy in how I have my desktop setup, was looking at the FiiO Q1 Mark II and in general mobile amps+dacs. Reading the review of that here on Audio Science Review, it is good but the Topping is the better choice probably for future proofed general desktop use. But then there is the low volume channel imbalance. And it leaves me unsure what I should go with.

In summary my headphones are: Sony MDR-F1 (12 Ohms), Sony MDR-1AM2 (16 Ohms), BeyerDynamic DT-770 80ohms. So all low impedance but with modification. I am guessing they all need the volume knob turned down with the Topping.

Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated! Or other recommendations.

Last edited:

runner74

I can't edit the post anymore but went with the NX4S, think I kinda misread the issue seeing others write about it. I'm sure it'll work fine.

runner74

Was just wondering one thing. Using this as a desktop dac+amp. Is the fact that it has 1 data port and 1 charging port an issue? Guess it would be more ideal with one port, and functionality to turn on and off charging. And guess you can't fight the issue of having a battery attached to begin with (I am again not knowledgeable but know as monkey-hear-see-monkey-follow that modern batteries dont like to be fully charged, but are comfortable around 70-80% and to live longer should not fall under this percentage, or esp 50-40% is where you dont want to be, and not below that. And every complete discharge, kills the battery a little bit more..).
But with all the incredibly knowledgeable people on here anyone have any thoughts maybe on the best approach, and what would likely happen when the battery goes, and when can batteries become dangerous (I mean..in a long time. But just talking theoretically. If it is charged 24/7.), if there is any prognosis. I think for convenience, it would be easier to just keep the "Charge" port connected at all times.

Asylum Seeker

What would I like to see in the Topping NX4 DSD Mark II?
  • Bigger battery
  • Faster charging
  • Bomb-proof USB-C ports
  • Short, right-angle USB-C to USB-C cables in the box
  • Clicky volume pot
  • A tad more power
  • Footprint no bigger than a deck of cards (63mm x 88mm)

FYI & FWIW - I don'tneed line-out or bass boost

How about a smaller single-gain NX4 DSD Mini, no line-out, no bass boost, one third the size of the current model, for IEMs and sensitive earphones?

IMG-20200901-WA0001.jpg

raif71

Major Contributor
What would I like to see in the Topping NX4 DSD Mark II?
  • Bigger battery
  • Faster charging
  • Bomb-proof USB-C ports
  • Short, right-angle USB-C to USB-C cables in the box
  • Clicky volume pot
  • A tad more power
  • Footprint no bigger than a deck of cards (63mm x 88mm)

FYI & FWIW - I don'tneed line-out or bass boost

How about a smaller single-gain NX4 DSD Mini, no line-out, no bass boost, one third the size of the current model, for IEMs and sensitive earphones?

View attachment 80812
I already like its SE performance but wouldn't hurt if Topping add a 4.4mm balanced output :)

Asylum Seeker

I already like its SE performance but wouldn't hurt if Topping add a 4.4mm balanced output :)
No! No balanced. Powerful, clean single-ended. No price-increasing ghost chasing, please. KISS.

Asylum Seeker

Wow, what a device. It arrived after 2.5 months from Drop but worth the wait. Clean sound. No distortion whatsoever. With Senn 6xx, its blissful. Charging seems to take a long time, though. Thanks to Amir for the review. Topping, you got a really good one here.
Yes... Charging is not the swiftest. Quite slow, in fact.

Asylum Seeker

Reactions: PSO

Asylum Seeker

I somehow missed that you already have it :). So, provided detailed feedback. Whats the store that offers this in Indonesia? Do they ship abroad by any chance? Please let me know.
There are a handful of stores on Tokopedia that sell that NX4 DSD for under $110.

Reactions: PSO

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah, why no IMD plot @amirm ? It's a Sabre DAC, you can't draw final conclusions without looking at the IMD.
This is a really old review... one of the first when he bought his AP-555. We are 2+ years later.

abm0

Forum Donor
This is a really old review... one of the first when he bought his AP-555. We are 2+ years later.
Well, there's already an IMD plot in the Oppo HA-2 analysis in the same year, but you're right: that was in September and this one is from June, so that might be the explanation.

Rorosello_

Hi there, I want to ask whether I need NX4 to power my ATH R70x with my Shanling M6 dap because now I'm using the balance output on M6 to drive the R70x in low gain at comfortable volume ranging from about 45-60 out of 100 depending on the music I played. (For info, the balanced output listed on Shanling M6's marketing material is 350mW @32ohms, while SE is 160mW @32ohms, & r70x has 470ohms impedance with 99db sensitivity).

I'm not that good with all this calculation, so idk if M6 is still good enough or not. But if my M6 is not enough to drive r70x, does NX4 can help with that? (My reason for choosing nx4 is because of the good value it has, portability & it's below $150). I do know few people already recommended me to just get full size amp like the Topping L30 to drive them but I prefer to just listen via my DAP for now. TIA

Last edited:

manueljenkin

Hi there, I want to ask whether I need NX4 to power my ATH R70x with my Shanling M6 dap because now I'm using the balance output on M6 to drive the R70x in low gain at comfortable volume ranging from about 45-60 out of 100 depending on the music I played. (For info, the balanced output listed on Shanling M6's marketing material is 350mW @32ohms, while SE is 160mW @32ohms, while r70x has 470ohms impedance with 99db sensitivity).

I'm not that good with all this calculation, so if my M6 is not enough to drive r70x, does NX4 can help with that? (My reason for choosing nx4 is because of the good value it has, portability & it's below $150). I do know few people already recommended me to just get full size amp like the Topping L30 to drive them but I prefer to just listen via my DAP for now. TIA

I'll recommend you to try the apogee groove. Used/refurb ones can be found less than 150$. I own both the nx4dsd and groove and I find the groove to drive my hd800 better than nx4. My friends with dt880, hd600 etc also feel similar, so I guess r70x would also fall in similar class (high impedance moderate sensitivity headphones).

Rorosello_

I'll recommend you to try the apogee groove. Used/refurb ones can be found less than 150$. I own both the nx4dsd and groove and I find the groove to drive my hd800 better than nx4. My friends with dt880, hd600 etc also feel similar, so I guess r70x would also fall in similar class (high impedance moderate sensitivity headphones).
I just check them out, but don't think I can get it locally here & it seems to be better used with a PC/Laptop than pairing them with my M6.

Top Bottom