• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

JazzGene

Listening to NX4 with Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohms. It drives it to ear splitting levels even on low gain. I read the Fostex T50RP would have issues with the Topping NX4 though. Makes me curious. Is there a reason why that might be the case?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the Fostex T50RP would have issues with the Topping NX4 though. Makes me curious. Is there a reason why that might be the case?

It might run out of current if you listen particularly loud or have modded it, since that reduces its sensitivity.

JazzGene

It might run out of current if you listen particularly loud or have modded it, since that reduces its sensitivity.
The spec says 92db/1mw so it would seem ear splitting loud even with the NX4. Of course, specs don't tell the whole story. I may have to try just to see.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If anyone is interested to buy Topping NX4 DSD, there is a new Drop run for 136$.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-nx4-dsd-dac-amp

With discount coupons, you'll get pretty close to that on Aliexpress sale starting in less than 2 days. And you will get it shipped out in under 2 days for the vast majority of orders over there. Not so much over at Drop.

If you are in the US, check with Apos for offers of any sort too. You'll probably get your item delivered to your doorstep before Drop even gives you a tracking number.

Reactions: PSO

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Tell me about it. I got my Senn HD 6xx after 2 months :), but that was during the initial Covid onslaught.
Thanks again for the leads. I love the community for its helping nature.

I was on the HD6XX campaign somewhere after the initial 6~7 months it was launched. It took over 4 months for mine to be shipped out !
And it took 4 days for the item to leave their New Jersey operations and another 6 days to get across the other side of the US to my forwarding address.

That was absolutely ridiculous.

Sinquito

Re. Sound:) Shanling L2 made my IEMs sound much more clear, the soundstage is leading to subbass and back through highs to support the mids ... JustKidding:)

I was enjoying reading your post, thinking about hitting the like button, then I read this cable nonsense and thought to myself, well maybe it's not worth the like, thanks for being joking about it.

N

nhatlam96

SP200 here, honored the price match and send replacement with better volume pot. 10/10 service, really nice people.
Im so lucky to have found you. Do you still own SP200 and NX4 and can you compare these two in sound? What headphones do you use?

Veri

Master Contributor
Im so lucky to have found you. Do you still own SP200 and NX4 and can you compare these two in sound? What headphones do you use?
Hey. NX4 is portable USB amp and SP200 powerful desktop amp. Why compare these two exactly? :D
In any case I no longer own SP200, sorry. Upgraded to Topping A90 which is not yet delivered :)

N

nhatlam96

Hey. NX4 is portable USB amp and SP200 powerful desktop amp. Why compare these two exactly? :D
In any case I no longer own SP200, sorry. Upgraded to Topping A90 which is not yet delivered :)
I was dissapointed in the soundstage of the ifi hip dac and searched for an alternative. the sp200 is the best amp I know, therefore I wanted to know how much I would miss on when I get the NX4

c69k

Hi,

I hope this helps someone wanting to have more hours out of NX4 DSD on the go. The DAC + AMP battery runtime is about 7-8 hours on my NX4 DSD (2 months old).

I have bought a 9000mW power bank ElephantStory (very small and with built in cables, %charge display, from Amazon.nl) for 26 EUR which has max. voltage output of 5V, which is strongly recommended for NX4 DSD. I am really a bass rumble junkie these days and use Sony EX800ST IEMs, which like a lot of power, up to 500mW on peaks.

Here are results with the power bank and NX4 fully charged, volume knob at 11:00, Bass boost:

Scenario:

1. Power bank connected to NX4 DSD and charging parallel since start of uninterrupted playback: Total runtime: 23 hours 11 minutes continuous playback

-power bank disconnected after being empty at 16 hours 04 minutes

2. Power bank connected after NX4 DSD runs out of battery first: Total runtime: 20 hours continuous playback

-NX4 DSD needs about 3 minutes to recover from completely empty battery to turn on after connecting the power bank.

I believe that I could get a bit more out of the power bank if it ONLY charged (no playback during charging) NX4 DSD.
I have tried this and the power indicator showed 66% after recharging NX4 DSD fully from dead. I think 26-28 hours is possible, but no music during charging LOL.

Edit: I use sandwich from top to bottom: Samsung Galaxy A40/NX4 DSD/power bank. When adding the powerbank, I use NX4 rubber bands.
I forgot that the power bank stays completely normal (same as if not used) temperature during charge/discharge.

Greetings from Amsterdam _\|/_

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

About right, mine also can last around that time, maybe 8 hours more since I didn't play it loud.

7-8 hours is about right. I have used it on some long flight 14+ hours and I usually have to recharge from my power bank at some time during the flight.

micard

I had been using it with my iPhone Xs for some time with the Menoova cable (http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html) without any issues.

Now it doesn't work anymore, could be since the latest iOS update (i'm on 13.5.1) but i don't know exactly since when. With Android and PC no issues.

Anyone know this issue and maybe even a solution?! It's basically bricked for me ;-(

GeorgeWalk

I had been using it with my iPhone Xs for some time with the Menoova cable (http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html) without any issues.

Now it doesn't work anymore, could be since the latest iOS update (i'm on 13.5.1) but i don't know exactly since when. With Android and PC no issues.

Anyone know this issue and maybe even a solution?! It's basically bricked for me ;-(

Looks like there was an upgrade to the cable? From the link you posted:

New upgraded 2018 version that works with iOS 10.3, 11.x, 12.x and future iOS upgrade.

micard

Looks like there was an upgrade to the cable? From the link you posted:

New upgraded 2018 version that works with iOS 10.3, 11.x, 12.x and future iOS upgrade.

Bought the cable beginning of 2020 and it worked with iOS 12, so I'm sure i have the newest one

GeorgeWalk

Bought the cable beginning of 2020 and it worked with iOS 12, so I'm sure i have the newest one

I just ordered that cable (thanks for the link.) I will let you know how it works.

One other thing, have you cleaned the connector port on the iPhone? I have iPhone Xs also, and I found that the hole sometimes gets "stuff" in it that prevents connectors from working well. I found it is usually dust and pocket lint. After cleaning, things work again. I use a magnifier, a pin, and some contact cleaner to get anything out.

micard

I just ordered that cable (thanks for the link.) I will let you know how it works.

One other thing, have you cleaned the connector port on the iPhone? I have iPhone Xs also, and I found that the hole sometimes gets "stuff" in it that prevents connectors from working well. I found it is usually dust and pocket lint. After cleaning, things work again. I use a magnifier, a pin, and some contact cleaner to get anything out.

THANKS a lot! I cleaned the lightning port properly and a small amount of compressed dust/dirt came out (not too much, was impossible to see!

It worked again right away! Charging had always worked, it seems the USB DAC or cable is more sensitive. However, i can really recommend the Meenova cable, i had used it heavily and it hasn't failed me until the dirt thing.

Now back to enjoy real music on iPhone again!

Peib

Hello!

Im considering buying Topping NX4 but im not sure of that just because the output power. Im currently using xduoo x3ii which provides 212 mw/32 ohms while Topping provides 293mW a 32 Ohms.

My headphones are Beyerdynamic dt1770 pro and AKG k712 pro, and I was offered a Xduoo xd-05 too.

What should I do???

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello!

Im considering buying Topping NX4 but im not sure of that just because the output power. Im currently using xduoo x3ii which provides 212 mw/32 ohms while Topping provides 293mW a 32 Ohms.

My headphones are Beyerdynamic dt1770 pro and AKG k712 pro, and I was offered a Xduoo xd-05 too.

What should I do???
NX4 should do fine with those.

Top Bottom