• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

Fideon

If level matched, you probably won't hear a difference between the 2. At best some very subtle tonal differences mostly from its output endstage rather than the DAC chips themselves.

However, do note that the Q1 MkII is pretty low in its 3.5mm TRS output power. So if you want to run low efficiency headphones off it, you'll need to get into its 2.5mm TRRS output. Which means "balanced" cables.

The NX4DSD has enough power off its 3.5mm jack to run practically all headphones, except a few very special ones.
Not a concern if you do not plan on such an application.

Also note too that the Q1 MkII has excellent software support for Apple phones, not so sure with the NX4 DSD.
It may be a consideration if you're running Apple phones, but not something I've looked at as I only use Android.

Hey maxxevv thanks for your reply. Do notice that I mean the original FiiO Q1 (Mark I?), not the Mark II!

Also, the FH7 are very efficient, at 111 dB/mW, so it would be pretty much the same?

I plan on using it desktop only.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SplitTime

Forum Donor
I suppose NX4 DSD and 'NX4S' are the same thing? Not a new version or anything
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/mobi...ifier-es9038q2m-32bit768khz-noir-p-12549.html
I had problems getting my NX4 DSD to actually play DSD files (see previous post several pages earlier in this thread). I never did get it to play DSD files and Topping said that they reproduced my exact setup and it worked for them. So my NX4 DSD appears to be defective, and while Topping agreed to replace it, the cost to ship the device to them in China was more than just buying a new one, so I didn’t do it. But, I digress; while emailing with Topping customer service they wanted to make sure it was the “DSD” version of the product. They said that if it didn’t have “DSD” in the name then it would not play DSD files. So, unless things have changed (and recently), I suspect the NX4S does not support DSD format.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Check that you have connected with at least a USB2 outlet and cable. Also that your software player supports 'bit perfect' transmission if using Android.

SplitTime

Forum Donor
Check that you have connected with at least a USB2 outlet and cable. Also that your software player supports 'bit perfect' transmission if using Android.

Using an iPhone - but I tried everything and verified SW versions (iOS, app), verified app setting, verified cables, ... with Topping’s customer service (via email) which was responsive. Many more details in the earlier post that I won’t repeat here. Punchline: if you order a Topping product in US, from “Drop” (formerly “MassDrop”), and you have an actual HW problem then you’re basically out the money. Lesson learned.

Just a warning to people that Topping clearly told me they have two NX4 products and if it doesn’t explicitly state “DSD” then DSD playback is not supported. That was the first thing Topping customer service wanted to confirm (that I had the “DSD” version of the product) during troubleshooting.

SplitTime

Forum Donor
Worth a read and your time if all you have tried doesn't work.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0
Thanks, for trying to help.

I did go read the article. In fact, I’m already using the Onkyo HF player (one of the two recommended players in the article you referenced) and an Oppo HA-2 SE portable DAC. It plays all files, DSD as well; it sounds really good and the Onkyo HF player confirms the bit-rate (as they pointed out in the article you referenced). The details are in post #361 in this thread (top of page 19). I bought the NX4 DSD to use because it has better performance, per Amir’s measurements, and I wanted to have a backup in case my Oppo (which is now out of business and so I won’t be able to get a replacement) dies. That’s when I discovered my particular NX4 DSD won’t actually play DSD files. So, I know how to do it and I know I have a defective NX4 DSD that will cost more to send back than it’s worth.

Cheers.

tential

Hello there. The NX4 DSD is a very good combo DAC/amp. It is hard to improve on it. D50 is not good since it doesn't have headphone amp. DX3 Pro will be a small upgrade.
What about from a power standpoint?
I have the tin hifi p1 on order and it's a stupidly power hungry iem. Is the nx4 dsd really comparable to desktop units? It looks like the atom puts out almost 10x more power.
I'm starting to think I need an atom/thx 789 to test on first, before testing on a mobile unit to ensure I'm not missing out.

Also hope we see how the new es100 compares soon as the headphone community is obsessed with this portable amp

maxxevv

Major Contributor
There really is no reason at all that an IEM even if its planar being more power hungry than a full sized planar such as the HE400i that Amir has tested the NX4 DSD with.

Or for that matter needing more power than the HD650 that is so often used.

Would suggest looking at the efficiency / output ratings of the above 2 headphones and compare with that of your Tin Hifi P1.

tential

There really is no reason at all that an IEM even if its planar being more power hungry than a full sized planar such as the HE400i that Amir has tested the NX4 DSD with.

Or for that matter needing more power than the HD650 that is so often used.

Would suggest looking at the efficiency / output ratings of the above 2 headphones and compare with that of your Tin Hifi P1.
I rechecked the review and I didn't see that he used the he400i, only the hd650. My iems have a lower sensitivity than the hd650, but also lower impedance.

I guess I was curious because if the topping nx4 dsd was that good at power output, would you even need a jds atom?

Also curious because if there is a chance the topping might struggle, than the es100 seems out of the question. It looks way too small. But I can't know for sure of course.

That's why I was thinking I should just suck it up and get the atom, and then I can always a/b test and learn whether I notice a difference.

I also wonder if about transmitting via dongle, where I have no idea how my app works with external devices, and how sinad is effected on Android, vs. Bluetooth. That's the one review I really wish we got. A deep dive into Android, apps, etc. Some things I've read here make me wonder if I even benefit for my nonflac files on the dac side for example. I still have a lot to learn.

smi216

Would the line-out on the nx4 be good as a dac to combo with the jds labs atom? Or should I just use the headphone out on this?

Veri

Master Contributor
Would the line-out on the nx4 be good as a dac to combo with the jds labs atom? Or should I just use the headphone out on this?
You could do it surely but there's little chance it will sound any better unless NX4 cannot deliver the power req. you need. Just try NX4 on its own first :)

Carnajo

I guess I was curious because if the topping nx4 dsd was that good at power output, would you even need a jds atom?

I pretty much asked the same question :)
Short version, Atom would probably last longer as the battery in the NX4 is a possible point of failure. But if that isn't a concern you could just get the NX4.

Sinquito

I got my NX4 DSD yesterday, the built quality seems pretty nice, more so than my Creative E5. Maybe the only issue I can think of is the small switches which does not inspire a lot of confidence. I only tried it with my Galaxy S10, worked flawlessly on Spotify, I listen to my HD600, X2 and H400i all with plenty of power (12 o'clock was plenty loud on low gain and high gain for the Sennheisers). No hissing with my IEMs (Ety ER4SR, Senn IE80S, Sony XBA-3) and the balance issue is not a real concern even with those IEMs on low gain. All headphones sounded really clean and the Bass Bost was pretty nice on the ER4SR. I will try to use it on my PC today and see how it goes. Overall for 160 bucks you cannot go wrong with this unit, unless you need bluetooth or coax/optical.

tential

I got my NX4 DSD yesterday, the built quality seems pretty nice, more so than my Creative E5. Maybe the only issue I can think of is the small switches which does not inspire a lot of confidence. I only tried it with my Galaxy S10, worked flawlessly on Spotify, I listen to my HD600, X2 and H400i all with plenty of power (12 o'clock was plenty loud on low gain and high gain for the Sennheisers). No hissing with my IEMs (Ety ER4SR, Senn IE80S, Sony XBA-3) and the balance issue is not a real concern even with those IEMs on low gain. All headphones sounded really clean and the Bass Bost was pretty nice on the ER4SR. I will try to use it on my PC today and see how it goes. Overall for 160 bucks you cannot go wrong with this unit, unless you need bluetooth or coax/optical.
Already ordered the es100 for Bluetooth, I'm going to try this or the atom next.
I really like the bass boost button which is why I really do like this portable option.

aka

@amirm - given that a year has passed since the original review - is this still your pick for DSD capable portable DAC/Amp?

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm - given that a year has passed since the original review - is this still your pick for DSD capable portable DAC/Amp?
My 0.50c, the only thing that "unseated" it value wise so far is the E1DA but it is 2.5mm balanced, unbalanced the NX4 is still your best bet.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
My 0.50c, the only thing that "unseated" it value wise so far is the E1DA but it is 2.5mm balanced, unbalanced the NX4 is still your best bet.

Not forgetting its built in battery makes it more suitable foe mobile phone use with power hungry headphones.

SiW

When connecting the NX4 to an iPhone do you need to use the Apple camera connection kit or can I use a mini usb to lightening cable only?

Sinquito

When connecting the NX4 to an iPhone do you need to use the Apple camera connection kit or can I use a mini usb to lightening cable only?
I don't have an iPhone but I can test with my iPad 2018 with the fiio cable lightning to micro usb

Top Bottom