• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

Damian

Also, does it work on a laptop with only one cable (charging+audio) or in this case I need to use two cables?

ferni19

@amirm Hello, I love your reviews, congratulations! I am in a problem, I have a NX4 DSD a year ago and I love it, but I wanted to take a small step to the PC dac of approx 200 dlls, I am about to decide between the DX3 and the D50, I only use it with headphones,, Beyerdynamic DT9990 80 ohms, Hifiman 400i 35 ohms, and I'm looking for a detailed sound, my question is, will I get a big improvement with the D50 or the DX3? And if so, which is better for what I'm looking for? or better continued with the DX4 ?? Many thanks for your help, greetings from Mexico!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello there. The NX4 DSD is a very good combo DAC/amp. It is hard to improve on it. D50 is not good since it doesn't have headphone amp. DX3 Pro will be a small upgrade.

Reactions: PSO

ferni19

Hello there. The NX4 DSD is a very good combo DAC/amp. It is hard to improve on it. D50 is not good since it doesn't have headphone amp. DX3 Pro will be a small upgrade.

@amirm Thank you very much for your help, and if I add an amp atom to the Topping D50? Would it be a BIG improvement over the NX4 DSD ?? or does not justify the payment? regards

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm Thank you very much for your help, and if I add an amp atom to the Topping D50? Would it be a BIG improvement over the NX4 DSD ?? or does not justify the payment? regards
It will sound the same. Definitely not any BIG improvement sorry to say.

Sinquito

Joined today, been reading this forum for a month or so, great place to spend some time.

I am interested in buying a DAC/AMP, will substitute a Creative E5. Mostly Desktop use, but I like to have the option to use it on the go. I am thinking about this Topping, the ifi Nano BL and the Xduoo XD-05.

Actually I want a Fiio Q5s, but is not launching until September or so.

Like head-fiers said: happy listening.

tential

It will sound the same. Definitely not any BIG improvement sorry to say.
If you don't level match or do a/b testing, you can trick your brain into thinking that though! Lol.

I am curious to a realistic comparison between the topping nx4 dsd and the atom+d50 or dx3 pro.

It seems like I'd just get more power with an atom but that the nx4 dsd already puts out a lot of power.

I'm still a noob at this self admittedly but it looks like the topping nx4 dsd is an amazing choice to have good mobile, and desktop sound. But that seems too good to be true, and I prefer to have quite a bit of headroom

spektykles

One thing I can say about Topping after-sale support quality is pure awesome: my NX4DSD broken due to my kids dropped it from the table (I know), I email'ed their customer service to request a service repair. And they fixed it for free (I voluntarily ready to pay for the bill, its my fault ofcourse). Although one thing bothers me is they also bundled a note written in Chinese which I cant understand (or even Google Translate it, bad hand writing maybe, IDK), English would be a better choice for the customer.
A side note: Chinese customs are very strict nowaday with electronics and battery sent to China from foreign address (terrorist threats or some sort of it). My country postal service refused it outright (even DHL, atleast in my country) and I was forced to use some "middleman".

spektykles

After the success of NX4DSD, maybe Topping should do some research about "NX6" maybe, high end version with price tag near or similar to Chord Mojo. NX4DSD is good for me but I want more sound quality out of it, especially when Im using top-end can and IEM like Audeze iSine 20 and i4 (NX4DSD is my fav portable dac/amp). Chord Mojo is highly praised (but not in here, well :p ) and we all need a device that can beat the Mojo out of Chord. Anyone like this idea?

Veri

Master Contributor
NX4DSD is good for me but I want more sound quality out of it

Inb4 people telling you you should get better/other headphones and that the dac/amp won't increase SQ over the NX4 :cool:
Are those audeze iems that difficult to drive? If the NX4 has sufficient power I'm not sure there's much point upgrading

spektykles

Inb4 people telling you you should get better/other headphones and that the dac/amp won't increase SQ over the NX4 :cool:
Are those audeze iems that difficult to drive? If the NX4 has sufficient power I'm not sure there's much point upgrading
High gain; iSine 20: 11~12 o'clock with custom cable (8x 26AWG pure silver), 1 o'clock with stock cable
i4: 1 o'clock with stock cable
Very power hungry!

tential

After the success of NX4DSD, maybe Topping should do some research about "NX6" maybe, high end version with price tag near or similar to Chord Mojo. NX4DSD is good for me but I want more sound quality out of it, especially when Im using top-end can and IEM like Audeze iSine 20 and i4 (NX4DSD is my fav portable dac/amp). Chord Mojo is highly praised (but not in here, well :p ) and we all need a device that can beat the Mojo out of Chord. Anyone like this idea?

What measurements make the chord MOJO special?

Schiit products are highly praised as well and their measurements suck. Being highly praised in audio just means you've got a good cult following. It says nothing about true measurable performance.
Actually, a lot of cult following audio products have terrible measurements. Building your cult in audio is more important than actual performance.

Carnajo

Hi everyone. My first post here :) so I would like to start with a thanks to @amirm for doing these reviews and measurements. I've read the review for this unit as well as a few others, and I've also read the guide on what is audible and what isn't and I think the NX4 is the device for me but I thought I'd just check one or two things before biting the bullet (I'd be importing into my country, so I always want to double check, it isn't as easy as buying and returning unfortunately).

From what I've seen above and based on the measurements for the NX4, is there any reason why I should get something like the JDS Labs Atom and seperate DAC instead? Sure the Atom measures better but from what I gather in this review it would not be an audible difference. Also, I never play my headphones loud (e.g. I can plug my DT 990s 250 Ohm which have a high imedance and a low sensitivity into my iPhone and not play at full volume). My current dac/amp is a sound blaster E3 portable unit. So from what I gather other than needing input selection there would be no benefit to me in getting a DX3 Pro or even splashing out for those THX units because any improvement is either inaudible or would be for more power/wattage which I dont need. Maybe they would have a flatter response but looks like the slight droop is negligble (I'm 37).

In fact with my E3 I had to use an app to set a negative 12dB gain in Windows 10 because it is too loud! I needed to set the -12dB so I could use the windows volume range from around 4 to 12, out of 100. When using Bluetooth to the E3 I use the lowest or second lowest volume setting on the E3.

So either the E3 is far more powerful than rated (supposedly 2Vrms) or I just don't listen to loud music.

So yes, sorry for digressing, but I just wanted to confirm with everyone here whether my assesment is correct and any benefit from a more powerful or better unit (specifically the Atom would be my choice) is negligble and unless I get 600 Ohm headphones with 80dB sensitivity I really wouldn't need it?

EDIT: and of course the Atom isn't portable, I don't need a portable unit, I do have the E3, it's just that this unit seems perfect, despite being portable (which is a bonus).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only issue with NX4 is if the battery goes bad and it relies on it to work right. So if you don't need portability I would get the desktop alternatives. And thanks for kind words.

Carnajo

The only issue with NX4 is if the battery goes bad and it relies on it to work right. So if you don't need portability I would get the desktop alternatives. And thanks for kind words.

Thanks, that is something I hadn't considered (guess I just thought it would passthrough). Unfortunately the a desktop alternative would be $50 or $60 more (DX3 Pro or Atom + DAC), and because of local pricing or import costs, the difference doubles (i.e. $100 to $120), so hence why I was hoping this could be a cheaper alternative with portability as a bonus.

Anyone know if the battery is replaceable?

Fideon

Hello All. @amirm thanks a lot for all of your work. I've learned quite a few things about AMP/DACs and their properties and how they impact the SQ.

I recently bought a FiiO FH7 IEM, which I'm currently listening through a Syba Sonic USB DAC/ADC/AMP. I searched for the specs online and apparently its output impedance is somewhere near 13 ohms. The FH7 have an impedance of 16 ohms so if I'm correct I believe I'd need something with a lower output impedance. I'm seriously considering buying the NX4 DSD, but looking at other reviews, I believe the first FiiO Q1 might be just as good due to very low output impedance (even lower than the NX4!) and way cheaper (I can see a used one online at approx. 90 usd).

I guess my question is, considering my needs, would I be able to hear a difference between the NX4 and the Q1? Is spending the extra > 50 USD worth it?

Thanks in advance for y'all help.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hello All. @amirm thanks a lot for all of your work. I've learned quite a few things about AMP/DACs and their properties and how they impact the SQ.

I recently bought a FiiO FH7 IEM, which I'm currently listening through a Syba Sonic USB DAC/ADC/AMP. I searched for the specs online and apparently its output impedance is somewhere near 13 ohms. The FH7 have an impedance of 16 ohms so if I'm correct I believe I'd need something with a lower output impedance. I'm seriously considering buying the NX4 DSD, but looking at other reviews, I believe the first FiiO Q1 might be just as good due to very low output impedance (even lower than the NX4!) and way cheaper (I can see a used one online at approx. 90 usd).

I guess my question is, considering my needs, would I be able to hear a difference between the NX4 and the Q1? Is spending the extra > 50 USD worth it?

Thanks in advance for y'all help.

If level matched, you probably won't hear a difference between the 2. At best some very subtle tonal differences mostly from its output endstage rather than the DAC chips themselves.

However, do note that the Q1 MkII is pretty low in its 3.5mm TRS output power. So if you want to run low efficiency headphones off it, you'll need to get into its 2.5mm TRRS output. Which means "balanced" cables.

The NX4DSD has enough power off its 3.5mm jack to run practically all headphones, except a few very special ones.
Not a concern if you do not plan on such an application.

Also note too that the Q1 MkII has excellent software support for Apple phones, not so sure with the NX4 DSD.
It may be a consideration if you're running Apple phones, but not something I've looked at as I only use Android.

Top Bottom