• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping MX3 DAC & Amp

fireboltr

Used to run Dynaudio, and other monitors since have moved on to less "clinical" speakers...
I.E. Axiom, Monitor audio.... etc.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What do you mean by single?

Not married to the power amplifier anymore. They broke up because the DAC was having an affair with the bluetooth module. :)

Too much temptation with them all sharing the same little box together.

Last edited:

Budgeter

What do you mean by single?
Not married to the power amplifier anymore. They broke up becuase the DAC was having an affair with the bluetooth module. :)
As a dedicated head-amp connected with another dac. Or will the graph is supposed to be the same as using with its internal dac so there is no need to test it.

fireboltr

Is the MX3 transparent enough? Probably for most people. Is it transparent enough for me to recommend it? No. You are much better off with discrete components. You will be paying more though to get that performance.

Well if nothing else you finally got a Topping device that dispells the myth of you being their UBER fanboy...

LOL

JMC

I have one, it is excellent and sounds very transparent via speakers. It can hold its own against components costing 5 to 10 times as much without issue. Just goes to show, those measurements don't tell you what it will sound like...

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one, it is excellent and sounds very transparent via speakers. It can hold its own against components costing 5 to 10 times as much without issue. Just goes to show, those measurements don't tell you what it will sound like...

It does tell you. However, people think just because one amp has 0.01% THD while another has 0.1%, that it’s an audible difference, when it’s not.

Most DACs tested hear are audibly transparent, or at least on the precipice.

Last edited:

fireboltr

It goes to show that things can and do sound good even if the numbers aren't that good...

But thankfully we don't have to go off word of mouth alone...

This is why I am eternally grateful that we have people like amirm in the world... thanks again

While not the best, the MX3 does do what it does well. No buyers remorse here.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, can you test analog in -> headphone out?

And I believe you can recommend it, because the value's very high. As you pointed out. The performance isn't, of course, but it appears to be a solid choice for 2nd systems, the kids, etc. Do we have a better choice for lowest-priced integrated that's not borderline broken?

Heck, you can't even get a refurb receiver at Accessories4Less for $130.

BillG

Major Contributor
@amirmThe performance isn't, of course, but it appears to be a solid choice for 2nd systems, the kids, etc. Do we have a better choice for lowest-priced integrated that's not borderline broken?

Heck, you can't even get a refurb receiver at Accessories4Less for $130.

This may represent that choice - it's well regarded DIY Audio circles as they like to modify it:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/I-A...-150W-2-CM6631A-24Bit-192KHz/32594479261.html

I've seen independent performance measurements of it and they are better than the MX 3.

By the way, I owned one for close to a year that I used for a bedroom system and was quite satisfied with it, even though I'd occasionally noticed some slight graininess in the upper frequencies (only if I listened quite closely, though).

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I kid, but I too want to see jitter performance.
Here you go:
Topping DX3 DAC Bluetooth Amplifier Headphone Jitter Audio Measurements.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, can you test analog in -> headphone out?
Sure:

Topping DX3 DAC Bluetooth headphone Amplifier Aux IN Audio Measurements.png

It is 10 dB better than the DAC. The headphone amp in MX3 is definitely above the rest of the circuits.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think they tried to do too many things with this product... but at the same time its actually quite affordable for all the different things you get...
So I guess if you were going to use it outside near your pool or in your garage where fidelity isn't a concern... there isn't much at this pricepoint to compete with other than bluetooth speakers (and not even great ones at that).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now we only need the SMSL AD18 and Sabaj A4 to compare :p.
Just finished the AD18 measurements. Will take some pictures and post tomorrow. :)

Top Bottom