• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

FunctionalDoc

I message back and forth with Zhaiquan fa with Aoshida from after I that I specifically ordered the DX7 not the Dx7S because of the remote he says that he will send me a remote when they become available next month.

I will believe when I see it .

I will get a remote one way or another. I amazed how well built this unit is and sound great driving ZMF 300 ohm Teak Auteurs on 4 Pin XLR cable.

Thanks Amir for your great recommendation .

gab

I message back and forth with Zhaiquan fa with Aoshida from after I that I specifically ordered the DX7 not the Dx7S because of the remote he says that he will send me a remote when they become available next month.

I will believe when I see it .

I will get a remote one way or another. I amazed how well built this unit is and sound great driving ZMF 300 ohm Teak Auteurs on 4 Pin XLR cable.

Thanks Amir for your great recommendation .

I'll second that - Thanks Amir for a great DAC recommendation! Until I get a remote, I am using this DAC on the desktop where I can adjust the volume. I'm feeding it via coaxial from the NuPrime CDT-8 Pro transport which upsamples CDs to 192KHz 24 bit (the limit of the DAC on its coaxial input). Then using the headphone output into my Sennheiser HD-6XX. After I get the remote, I'll move the DAC and transport back into the big rig.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I got a DX7s from Aoshida instead of the DX7 I ordered. And no remote control was in the box. Suppose I shouldn't complain as its a $499 DAC for $332 (33% discount). I'm sure I'll have to buy the remote separately when they are available again in May.
Yea I mean, I would still be a bit upset about not getting the actual DX7. But whatever, its not a big deal

FunctionalDoc

I still got mine for $339 instead of $379 with shipping took 2 weeks and just maybe I will get my remote included next month .

I really amazed at how good this is for cost.

I heard at the Socal Can Jam the THX AAA™ 789 died before my friend could hear it. I hope that they figure out what cause the failure since like you Jimster480 I am in on the drop. Might ask on Massdrop if they find out what caused the display failure. The failure might just be abusive handling .

Toku

Major Contributor
I got a DX7s from Aoshida instead of the DX7 I ordered. And no remote control was in the box. Suppose I shouldn't complain as its a $499 DAC for $332 (33% discount). I'm sure I'll have to buy the remote separately when they are available again in May.

It is very lucky that you could buy it at a discount of 33%.
I was a 15% discount at AliExpress discount sale in March.
I also want to buy a remote control in May, but do you have information on prices?

bbbbbbbb

how do i get into the menu to change the system settings? I've tried the manual's instructions to no avail

bbbbbbbb

Got into the menu. How do I move the arrow and get it to save my settings? turning the volume knob doesn't do anything

Toku

Major Contributor
Pressing the knob doesn't let me do anything other than change the PCM filter :(
A remote control is necessary for some operations. The remote control will be released in May. Sorry, now I am away from home so I can not check it with actual DX7S.

ABQdude

Forum Donor
I have a DX7s (without the remote) and all functions are accessible from the volume button. The instructions are in the manual. Having successfully tested all the volume button functions, I took an unused Logitech Harmony remote and added the Topping as a device. The Harmony remote works perfectly.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am another of those that bought a DX7 on Ali Express for $339 using the 15% off coupon and received a DX7s instead. I’ll be using it on a new i7 Dawson Canyon NUC arriving later this month. In the mean time I set it up connected to my 6 year old PC using the included USB cable. I have Monoprice 4751 XLR cables connected to my Rokit 6 G3 monitors. I’ve played a bunch of different FLAC files from 16bit 44.1kHz to 24bit 192kHz. This thing sounds absolutely fantastic. First off the background is silent, something I was never able to accomplish with the Asus Xonar Essence STX or E-MU 1212m. Secondly the imaging and soundstage through the Rokit’s is phenomenal. I’ve never heard the Rokit’s sounding so good. I like the sound through my HD598 headphones but I’ve just never been able to get into headphones the way I do speakers. I’ve never experienced a realistic soundstage with them. Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s the headphones. I am making a balanced cable for the HD598s. There is a TRRS connector on the headphone side and I found instructions on making a balanced cable with a 4-pin XLR connector on Head-Fi.org. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

Martin

Stump909

I like the sound through my HD598 headphones but I’ve just never been able to get into headphones the way I do speakers. I’ve never experienced a realistic soundstage with them. Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s the headphones. I am making a balanced cable for the HD598s. There is a TRRS connector on the headphone side and I found instructions on making a balanced cable with a 4-pin XLR connector on Head-Fi.org. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

Martin

To be fair, the 558's are considered an upper-entry/lower-mid tier product. Not to knock them, as they'd be my go-to recommendation for someone with that budget, but headphones make a lot of concessions by design. When comparing a set of monitors to similarly priced headphones, the monitors will win 9 times out of 10.

astr0b0y

I have a DX7s (without the remote) and all functions are accessible from the volume button. The instructions are in the manual. Having successfully tested all the volume button functions, I took an unused Logitech Harmony remote and added the Topping as a device. The Harmony remote works perfectly.

When the remote codes were sent to Harmony so they could add the Topping unit to their database there were no directional commands included. This means that navigating the setup menu is not really possible.

ABQdude

Forum Donor
When the remote codes were sent to Harmony so they could add the Topping unit to their database there were no directional commands included. This means that navigating the setup menu is not really possible.
I'm not sure what you mean about directional commands. With my Harmony remote, I can get to all the setup items mentioned in the manual. The commands on my remote are:
Power Toggle
Input Next
Input Previous
Line
Headphone
Line&Headphone
FIR (for filter selection)
Display (for display brightness)
Auto (for auto on/off)
Volume

Is there something missing?

astr0b0y

If you hold in the volume button on the unit when powering it on the unit goes into a setup menu. This menu seems to allow the user to manipulate default settings to some degree. Navigating the menu does not work with the volume wheel or any of the IR commands provided to Harmony - Topping did not provide any IR commands that offer direction such as up or down.

Top Bottom