• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

xevman

Would it be worth upgrading from this unit to something like a D70 or Gustard X26? These are better performing units... however is the DX7S at a level where it is already audibly transparent?

Would it be worth upgrading from this unit to something like a D70 or Gustard X26? These are better performing units... however is the DX7S at a level where it is already audibly transparent?
Yes.

Veri

Master Contributor
Has anyone tried the D70 driver and any improvement?
It's just the driver.. :) should be minimal differences between the recent releases, at best more stable but just about impossible there'd be audible changes.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

andrew.atma

I inherited couple of old power amps from my father, to name 2 of them are adcom gfa 555 and musical fidelity typhoon. Can I use dx7s as dac+preamp? How good it will be compared to if I use it as a dac only and with separated dedicated preamp?

Thx
Greetings from indonesia

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I inherited couple of old power amps from my father, to name 2 of them are adcom gfa 555 and musical fidelity typhoon. Can I use dx7s as dac+preamp? How good it will be compared to if I use it as a dac only and with separated dedicated preamp?

Thx
Greetings from indonesia
Yes, it can be used to drive those amps directly as a preamp.
I doubt very much if a separate preamp would improve the sound in any meaningful way.
Welcome to the forums.

chaotic_angel

I kinda agree with Josh Varlour with regards to the less power of the SE jack, my Elemental Watson is way stronger than this. But DX7s shines when used as DAC via RCA, my Stax SRM 2525 is glowing ;)
While BAL is adequate but not excellent overall.

06S2k07Si

Question for anyone who has or has used a DX7s...

I have a very minor issue that I've noticed. When the unit turns off and then, after some undisclosed amount of time, turned back on nearly half the time is doesn't turn back on at the volume that it was turned off at. To be clear, I usually turn it off at -60 and sometimes it will come back on at -60 and other times it will come back on at -50 or -45...which are two numbers that I specifically remember. Now to specify how I use the unit...I have it set to DAC + HP...I have this, my Powered desktop speakers, and powered sub (Balanced to Swan T200C and RCA to a Polk Audio PSW111 powered sub) all powered off one TrippLite power strip and I use that strip to always power down my gear (only 4 things on that power strip...each T200C has its own power supply power cord and power switch)...to help prevent against lightning strikes (which I have had once and it took out my Yulong D200). I have NOT left it connected to power continuously to see if leaving it always connected to power solves the issue...again its a minor thing, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks, Brian

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have NOT left it connected to power continuously to see if leaving it always connected to power solves the issue...again its a minor thing, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.
Bingo. I'd bet a McDonalds cheeseburger that left powered up, it would hold that setting.

Ninja_Theory

Received my DX7S a few weeks ago. I had some buyer's remorse when the D70 appeared on Drop before my DX7S arrived. But a few hours with the DX7S, and then feeding it into my Little Dot III, put any remorse to be bed very quickly. Could not be happier. Thanks for reviewing this DAC/amp Amir, it was one of very few reviews I was able to find leading to my purchase decision.

cheungtsw

Had been using the DX7s for awhile now. Just wondering how does it compare with a higher price say dual 9038pro DAC?

vato3001

Can i use my remote from the Topping DX7s to control the Volume, when they are connected through balanced outputs?
Drop THX 789

Rufus

I've been looking at a D70 (tempted to try an AK4497 DAC) but the DX7S, including a headphone amp, is a very attractive price in comparison with a D70 (about £370 including remote vs £450 for the D70 in the UK). Considering I'd have to get something like a JDS Labs Atom headphone amp with the D70 which'd take the total price to £560 - is there any justification for the extra cost? Is the Atom a much better headphone amp than the one in the DX7S (which even has a balanced output) for example?
Also any update/replacement of the DX7S likely on the horizon?

[the reason I'm looking at these 2 in particular is also the XLR out to a power amp which I'd need]

Top Bottom