• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hey, could you explain this to me how it works?
Lets say im listening to my headphones at 50% volume what happens if i switch to the 3. mode? will my jbl 305 blast music at 50% as well or does the dx7s reset the volume (mutes it) and i have to turn the knob from 0 dB to my desired volume
So it will go to your last saved setting for that mode. But it will fade it in over like 3-5 sec. Which gives you time to reduce the volume if its too high.

gab

Assuming one uses the remote control (when available in May) and uses the DX7s in a preamp mode tied directly to an amp or active speaker - how easy or difficult is it to accidentally put the mode selection into "DAC" position thereby bypassing the volume control and sending a 0 dB un-attenuated signal to the amp and likely blowing out the speaker? Hopefully there is something in place to keep this from happening?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Assuming one uses the remote control (when available in May) and uses the DX7s in a preamp mode tied directly to an amp or active speaker - how easy or difficult is it to accidentally put the mode selection into "DAC" position thereby bypassing the volume control and sending a 0 dB un-attenuated signal to the amp and likely blowing out the speaker? Hopefully there is something in place to keep this from happening?
Its a separate button for "line out" and its going to fade in the volume. So you can just press it back to headphone or line out + headphone.

I use it in DAC mode all the time attached to other Amps since the 10 ohm output impedance doesn't work well with some of my headphones.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I asked Topping if the volume control is lossless and here is the answer I got: "Volume control of DX7s is not lossless because it is based on ES9038Q2M's control. So if you need better performance, you need to set to highest volume. "

@amirm : it would be very nice if you can, when you find some time, repeat distortion and noise measurements on low volumes to see how much it affects sound quality. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm : it would be very nice if you can, when you find some time, repeat distortion and noise measurements on low volumes to see how much it affects sound quality. :)
I plan to do a survey/measurements of different volume controls in the future. By itself I don't think it will be instrumental just to show a bunch of graphs at different volumes. You would have to compensate in your head that your maximum level is now lower.

Krunok

Major Contributor
By itself I don't think it will be instrumental just to show a bunch of graphs at different volumes.
Well, IMO a small table like this would provide a very good insight what happens with the volume control in low volumes:

Volume THD+N
----------------------
-90dB
-80dB
-70dB
-60dB

You would have to compensate in your head that your maximum level is now lower.
Sorry, I didn't get what you mean with this, can you please rephrase?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I asked Topping if the volume control is lossless and here is the answer I got: "Volume control of DX7s is not lossless because it is based on ES9038Q2M's control. So if you need better performance, you need to set to highest volume. "

Interesting to know, but I think that no volume control is actually lossless considering that details will be lost or become inaudible as the volume is turned down. So I think that even "optimal listening volume" depends on your setup and your ears and environment.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry, I didn't get what you mean with this, can you please rephrase?
Assume that at full amplitude you have 1% noise floor. Now if I halve the signal and the noise floor goes to 0.5%, you have to take into account that the signal itself has also been reduced by a factor of two. It is not that the signal to noise ratio actually improved.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Interesting to know, but I think that no volume control is actually lossless considering that details will be lost or become inaudible as the volume is turned down. So I think that even "optimal listening volume" depends on your setup and your ears and environment.

I agree. Even if you implement a passive volume control with high quality resistor ladder and relays I believe you would still end up with lower S/N as the signal would drop more relative to the noise. Not to mention the "loudness" non-linearity of our hearing that happens as sound level starts dropping.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Assume that at full amplitude you have 1% noise floor. Now if I halve the signal and the noise floor goes to 0.5%, you have to take into account that the signal itself has also been reduced by a factor of two. It is not that the signal to noise ratio actually improved.

LOL - As I stated in my post, which happen virtually at the same time as yours, I fully agree. :)

Joe A

AliExpress has some type of sale going on. They have both the DX7 ($340) and the DX7s ($425) available. Is there a better option between these two?

Sythrix

True. But I thought they are not available any more.

It must be old inventory in the channel.

I emailed topping a bit ago and they confirmed that the seller is authorized, so you are probably right.

Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.
Aoshida is one of our authorized dealers, so we believe they are selling original product of us.
But DX7 is discontinue already and we does not has it in stock, so I suggest you to ask them if they has it in stock or not before placing orders.
Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service
26th Jiaomen Road, Huangge Town, Nansha, Guangzhou, China
Zip code: 511455
Tel(important for shipping): +86-20-37219489(Chinese language only)

Last edited:

Joe A

Thanks guys, I will confirm before buying. Leaning toward the DX7. Price, remote and the reviews on this site. Thanks!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks guys, I will confirm before buying. Leaning toward the DX7. Price, remote and the reviews on this site. Thanks!
DX7 > DX7S.
It has a remote, and it has lower IMD because of the lack of the 9038 "hump".

So overall DX7 is better. I love my DX7 and use it all day every day.

FunctionalDoc

I just got confirmation this morning from Aoshida/Aliexpress and they have shipped my DX7 . I noticed on TOPPING's site the remote for the DX7s or DX7 will be available to purchase in May since they had a issues with doing the aluminium CNC machining.

I had the same concerns that I was buying older model would they deliver. Glad to hear that Aoshida is an authorized dealer.

I will give my subjective feedback compared to my iFi Black label after some listening. Looking forward to mating the DX7 as the balanced DAC with end of year release of the Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 .

Amir will give you my subjective biased thoughts after seeing the AP's bench results:).

Sythrix

I just got confirmation this morning from Aoshida/Aliexpress and they have shipped my DX7 . I noticed on TOPPING's site the remote for the DX7s or DX7 will be available to purchase in May since they had a issues with doing the aluminium CNC machining.

I had the same concerns that I was buying older model would they deliver. Glad to hear that Aoshida is an authorized dealer.

I will give my subjective feedback compared to my iFi Black label after some listening. Looking forward to mating the DX7 as the balanced DAC with end of year release of the Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 .

Amir will give you my subjective biased thoughts after seeing the AP's bench results:).

Hope you enjoy it! I was going to buy, but not being able to get it from a US retailer left me all kinds of trepidatious. Then I went temporarily insane and spent a grand on an RME ADI-2 DAC... then too hopped onto the THX drop.

Looking forward to Amir's review on both of those items in the future.

That's enough spent on audio gear for... I don't know... 10 years? Except for headphones of course... or things I really need... or deals that are too good to pass up...

Joe A

I am with you FunctionalDoc. Pulled the trigger on a DX7, also from Aoshida. Second purchase from Aliexpress, really had no problems in the past, just waiting. They say it's the hardest part.

Top Bottom