• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

esm

Forum Donor
This is what I just ordered, we'll see what actually shows up in a couple of weeks:
dx7s-remote-1.jpg
dx7s-remote-2.jpg

FunctionalDoc

I ended up ordering a remote from AliExpress with coupon got it for $20,99 . I hope it is made out the machined aluminum like the old remote.

Jorj

Forum Donor
What does it look like? That is a pretty low cost if it is as good as the one for DX7.

Here is the image from the Aliexpress site. Slightly different than the one for the DX7, but we were told it has an aluminum body.

42040812-7ff786c0-7abe-11e8-9716-d12629c99e27.png

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I didn't wait for the original topping remote.

Instead, I bought this Logitech Harmony 650 brand new from amazon for $33 with prime shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/

The setup was easy without any glitches. It works with all the button functions with Topping.

8 bucks more than the Topping one, but serves as a universal remote with LCD screen. Works well for me.

Jorj

Forum Donor
I didn't wait for the original topping remote.

Instead, I bought this Logitech Harmony 650 brand new from amazon for $33 with prime shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/

The setup was easy without any glitches. It works with all the button functions with Topping.

8 bucks more than the Topping one, but serves as a universal remote with LCD screen. Works well for me.

I considered that, since Harmony has the Topping codes already thanks to @astr0b0y. Some part of me wants to have the OEM remote also, just in case something better comes along....yeah....just in case.

gingerbeer

When using the coax digital out - does the volume knob change the volume, or is it a full scale output only?

Looking at this as a potential front end for a set of dutch & dutch 8cs

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When using the coax digital out - does the volume knob change the volume, or is it a full scale output only?

Looking at this as a potential front end for a set of dutch & dutch 8cs
I happened to have it on my bench just now and measured it. The volume control makes no difference on S/PDIF output.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

Have you ever plotted the RME, Benchmark and Topping on the same shots? I'm curious to know out of those three what's the winner regardless of price since those are the top three objectively reviewed dac's on ASR.

Alcophone

The coax out always produces the USB input signal, regardless of what the input is set to, or whether it the DX7s is even on / plugged in.

rickymiester

I currently have the topping DX7s and I use it mostly via USB connected to my laptop with the o2 massdrop edition as an amplifier. I've noticed that at times when my computer goes on idle and I come back to it, my computer seems to not detect the unit (I try to run it via optical as well but it does not work). Once I restart my computer and connect it through optical it works. When i try to connect it via usb again it still does not work and the Topping driver does not detect it via usb even though it is connected.
Do any of you know what i might be doing wrong or what is happening?
Thanks for the help, I am new to this whole audio world.

rickymiester

Asking the obvious :), is the input on Topping set to USB?
Yes, i make sure to change the input to USB or Optical when testing the different connections.

Windows or Mac?

also, curious, why use the O2 amp and not the built in one in the Topping?
I own low impedance headphones and based on some recommendations on this thread I made the decision to pair it with the O2 since it is inexpensive (i got both of them on an ebay sale for a really good price).
I run it on Windows 10.

Top Bottom