• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

RHO

Major Contributor
Don't know if it has been reported yet, but the new Topping drivers solve the issue that the DX3 pro would not switch back to lower sample rates after playback of high-res files. For instance when playing 24/192 audio trough Foobar2k, switching to Spotify streaming it refused playback. You had to unplug the USB and re-plug it to re-set the sampling frequency. That is not the case anymore with the new drivers.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for the link. However, it happens in my case when using the optical input, no USB connected.
I understand that this problem "occurs with an OPT connection".
But I have been using DX3 Pro for 2 years and have never had such trouble with OPT & COAX connection.
I'm sorry, I don't have any information to advise.

RHO

Major Contributor
My DX3pro doesn't do what the manual says it should do. I don't know how to switch it to DAC mode.
This is what the manual says:
Manual_output_settings.PNG

The first option: seems to work as indicated. Headphone indicator is on. Headphone amp works. But I have no way to check if the RCA out is on or off.
Second option: I have no idea how to get to this setting. I can get the headphone indicator on AND the DAC indicator on. Is this what is meant here?
Third option (pure DAC functionality): I have no idea how to get to this setting.
Fourth option (pre-amplifier): I can get the DAC indicator on (HP indicator off). HP amp switches off and the volume control seems to work. But again, I can't check it.

ZenTraveler

I don't know how to switch it to DAC mode.
You might have V2, with this version to switch DAC line out you need to unplug the power from the unit, hold down the volume button and re-plug the power. It will display menu selection, click the volume button to go through the menu, for DAC it is D-0.

Second option is when both indicator is ON.

RHO

Major Contributor
You might have V2, with this version to switch DAC line out you need to unplug the power from the unit, hold down the volume button and re-plug the power. It will display menu selection, click the volume button to go through the menu, for DAC it is D-0.

Yep, I managed to get into the settings the way you pointed out. Thanks!

RHO

Major Contributor

I found that it's actually when D-1 is selected that the volume control is deactivated and the sample frequency is displayed in DAC mode.
When D-0 is selected the volume control stays active in DAC mode so you essentially have pre-amp.

sjeesjie

Recently I noticed that the supplied power unit makes a slight buzzing noise. Should I worry?

dawit123

I'm new to the hobby and have a couple questions:

1. Any benefits for running it over S/PDIF vs USB?
2. Seems like there is not much volume headroom for my HD600? Running it usually at around -20db on low and high gain.
3. Is it better to run it in DAC mode or normal mode? Any differences?

----

Recently I noticed that the supplied power unit makes a slight buzzing noise. Should I worry?

Mine power adapter does the same whine - https://superuser.com/questions/832...supplies-generate-a-whining-noise-and-what-ca

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm new to the hobby and have a couple questions:

1. Any benefits for running it over S/PDIF vs USB?
2. Seems like there is not much volume headroom for my HD600? Running it usually at around -20db on low and high gain.
3. Is it better to run it in DAC mode or normal mode? Any differences?

----

Mine power adapter does the same whine - https://superuser.com/questions/832...supplies-generate-a-whining-noise-and-what-ca
20dB is quite a bit of headroom. I think Amir has a video about how the dB scale works.

THW

Forum Donor

-20dB on high gain for the HD600 for me also and i have to say that is all the headroom that i really need. on tracks that are mastered loudly i have to dial it back down to -25 or even -30. and for all the music that i listen to, the most i had to go was around -10 to -15, and -10 in most cases is excruciatingly loud for me

RHO

Major Contributor
I have hardly ever turned the volume up above -30dB on my DX3pro. Mostly it was between -45dB and -40dB on high gain with my HD6XX. (using it in DAC mode connected to an A50s now)
You guys must be listening much louder than I do.

RHO

Major Contributor
Looks like these are sold out. Is a new version coming soon?
The AKM DAC-chip is not available at the moment.
Maybe they will do a redesign with an ESS DAC-chip. Who knows?

THW

Forum Donor
I have hardly ever turned the volume up above -30dB on my DX3pro. Mostly it was between -45dB and -40dB on high gain with my HD6XX. (using it in DAC mode connected to an A50s now)

i listen fairly loudly but even i think 20 dB of headroom is more than good enough.

artburda

But why use it in high gain in the first place, if you have to lower the volume to -40dB?

RHO

Major Contributor
But why use it in high gain in the first place, if you have to lower the volume to -40dB?
I could switch headphones easily by just switching between high and low gain if I went from the HD6XX to something more efficient. :)
But yeah... there was no real need for high gain.

artburda

I could switch headphones easily by just switching between high and low gain if I went from the HD6XX to something more efficient. :)
But yeah... there was no real need for high gain.
And if I understand it correctly: when you lower the volume with the dx3pro digitally then the noise floor gets worse. Since the dx3pro has a SNR of about 117dB minus the 40dB digital attenuation would mean you now have a SNR of 77dB. Please correct me if I‘m wrong.

Edit: Or 117dB plus 9dB for high gain —> so 86dB instead of 77dB?

Top Bottom